Sapphire XL and Ref 1 side by side

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2005, 05:40 pm »
Terrific thread, lots of interaction! Points out that the sonic differences one person considers small or insignificant might be HUGE for someone else. Everyone has different listening priorities and we all hear differently. A great discussion like this one brings this all out and people learn. It is not as simple as “speaker A is better than speaker B . . .  it depends on perspective . . . it is all relative to the observer as Einstein so elegantly pointed out. For example, I personally cannot stand to listen to a speaker that is at all ‘hot” on the top. For me, any added emphasis, anywhere in the frequency range tends to stick out and ruin my enjoyment. I’d rather listen to a crappy car audio system that misses a lot of info, than an audiophile system that gets it 90% right but is too hot in the highs or has too much midbass.

Everyone who has seriously listened to the XLs has mentioned the neutrality. High end recording studio engineers who have heard the XLs love them.  We’re very proud of this, and thankful that others hear it as well.

kendrid

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jun 2005, 04:55 am »
A quick update...

I have listened exclusively to the XL for the past couple of weeks.  I have to say that once I got 'adjusted' to their sound (or unadjusted from my previous speakers) I haven't found any major flaws and I have been very impressed.  

The main difference between my Ref 1s and the XL was and has been the treble.  At first I thought the treble on the XL was a bit too laid back.  Now I realize that it is still detailed but not 'in your face' like the Ref 1s can be.  

Tonight I had Fleetwood Mac, Tracy Chapman and Godsmack (acoustic) in my family room.  I don't think I have heard them reproduced as well in my room as they were tonight.

Tomorrow night I am switching back to the Ref 1s.  I will be listening to the same CDs/tracks as I did tonight.  I will be sure to post my thoughts.

tex-amp

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jun 2005, 03:56 am »
I think that it isn't the top is tipped up on the Ref1. But, that the mids aren't as good as the top and bottom of the Ref1 is making the mids sound a little thin.  Which could easily be heard as more treble energy.

kendrid

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jun 2005, 01:40 pm »
Quote from: tex-amp
I think that it isn't the top is tipped up on the Ref1. But, that the mids aren't as good as the top and bottom of the Ref1 is making the mids sound a little thin.  Which could easily be heard as more treble energy.

That could very well be it.  

I'd love to see a frequency response graphs of the Ref 1 and XL created by an external source (even from the mfgs themselves).

Carlman

« Reply #24 on: 7 Jun 2005, 02:38 pm »
Quote from: tex-amp

I've found this part of the sound range tough to decipher as well... It's very difficult for me to detect whether I have a hot tweeter or over accentuated upper midrange... The only way to know is to measure.  

When I did a TacT room correction, I found I had a slight 2-4,KHz peak that when removed, also removed the over-attenuated highs.  

If someone has a TacT and Ref1's or the XL's, I'd be interested to hear what they found.  

IF my dealer will allow me to borrow a TacT... and When I get the XL's to try, I'll be sure to compare the room response of the speakers I compare as part of my review...  (I'm hoping this will be the XL's, and modified Usher 718's, and mod'd Merlin's of Claud's)

-C