8" wideband driver wanted

versus rider

8" wideband driver wanted
« on: 21 Jun 2010, 07:23 pm »
I'm sure this has been done to death on here. I am looking for a wide band driver rather than full range for open baffle use. From 100hz to 5Khz would be perfect, but unlikely I guess, but I'm loathe to use filtering if at all possible.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: 8" wideband driver wanted
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2010, 07:58 pm »
HI,
The new MarkAudio Alpair 12 is a good FR for OB, you will need help from a Sub or Woofer as the Alpha15A for the freq. under 280Hz. Alpair 12 price is around 180dollars each, Alpha is $60 each.
It came complete with screws and a rubber seal to instal.  The Alpair 12 and one or two Alpha15A is my preference for a OB panel.
Cheers, Gustavo
http://www.markaudio.com/alpair/12      http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-407

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:06 pm »
Alpair12 is alloy cone, If you wish paper cone there is the Visaton B200, also 8inches.
http://www.e-speakers.com/-strse-379/VISATON-B200/Detail.bok

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2010, 07:08 am »
I'm sure this has been done to death on here. I am looking for a wide band driver rather than full range for open baffle use. From 100hz to 5Khz would be perfect, but unlikely I guess, but I'm loathe to use filtering if at all possible.

Do you mean you want a driver that rolls off by itself at 5k? Something like this -

http://supravox.fr/anglais/haut_parleurs/215_GMF.htm

No idea how you can get one, probably not cheap either.

versus rider

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2010, 03:29 pm »
Firstly I should have said not the Visaton, I know many of you are happy with them but its not for me. Alpair 12, is that not a 12"? Now supravox, now you're talking, I have found a company selling them but will have to check that they sell that one. They do a wide range 215RTF 64 suitable for open baffle. Is the qts high enough on 215GMF at .33?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2010, 09:09 pm »
Firstly I should have said not the Visaton, I know many of you are happy with them but its not for me. Alpair 12, is that not a 12"?

The Alpair 12 is a nominal 6.5" driver (actual cone = 12cm). It is a stunningly well behaved driver. Mark has done a superb job of keeping the cone micro-resonances to a minimum (and eliminating any macro-resonances -- the bane of almost all FRs), and more importantly consistent across the bandwidth of the driver, so that they do not annoy.

Coupled with helper woofer in an OB (any OB really needs a helper woof if you want real bass), it is very dynamic, clean and extends all the way up. Its only downside is a lower efficiency than most similarily sized FR

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2010, 10:59 pm »
Firstly I should have said not the Visaton, I know many of you are happy with them but its not for me. Alpair 12, is that not a 12"? Now supravox, now you're talking, I have found a company selling them but will have to check that they sell that one. They do a wide range 215RTF 64 suitable for open baffle. Is the qts high enough on 215GMF at .33?
QTS=0,33 is good for sealed box, not for OB.  For you have a idea the Visaton B200 have QTS=0,75(in OB panel) and the Alpha15A have QTS=1,26.
In the Pro-Audio there is many 12inches mid-ranges with hi SPL, and some may even have hi QTS for OB good.
Cheers,

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2010, 07:34 am »
They do a wide range 215RTF 64 suitable for open baffle.

That does look good. Would be curious to know how much they end up being. Xmax is a fair bit lower than the GMF.

Is the qts high enough on 215GMF at .33?

Well... it's about 4dB down at 100Hz. Put a 1 ohm resistor in series and -3dB is 104 Hz, about where you wanted it.

Unison845

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:05 pm »

I would go for the 215S, it fit perfectly for OB, higher excursion.
By the way, I have listened to the system on your avatar. The system is now changed, gone is the big wooden horn, replaced by Ale, Goto using round horns.

versus rider

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2010, 09:03 pm »
I would go for the 215S, it fit perfectly for OB, higher excursion.
By the way, I have listened to the system on your avatar. The system is now changed, gone is the big wooden horn, replaced by Ale, Goto using round horns.
lucky you, did it sound as good as it looks?

el`Ol

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2010, 12:04 pm »
Ciare PM200 or PM250 could be candidates.
http://www.ciare.com/consumer/prodotti_professional.htm

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2010, 05:36 pm »
I love my Fostex F200A (rated 30 - 20k).  Check Madisound for prices (about $400 each) and full specs.  For music no sub or super tweeter needed.  These drivers allow for an uncompromised single driver experience.

Not cheap and not your typical thin sounding Fostex driver, nice warmer home audio (not studio monitor) sound yet plenty of detail. 

Massive build, uses AlNiCo magnets. 

I had Bud Purvine EnABL mine, again not cheap, but resolution improved and highs are more pronounced. 

No whizzer, so they beam the highs (which help minimize room interactions) and IME helps them image even better (of course my monoblocks help too). 

HT cOz

« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2010, 06:58 pm »
What about the Tang Band W8-1808 .www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w8-1808.htm   

I have no idea how they sound but the look nice  :lol:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2010, 01:06 am »
What about the Tang Band W8-1808

They sound OK -- i prefer it to the 1772 -- a bit overpriced IMO

dave

mp9

« Reply #14 on: 10 Dec 2010, 05:48 am »
The new Seas FA22RCZ will soon be on the market: www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=293&Itemid=255

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2010, 08:08 am »
When I measaured the W8-1772, it was remarkable in one respect:  The sum of the off-axis curves was unusually smooth and uniform, especially for a fullrange driver.  Somebody did a very good job with engineering the interaction of cone and wizzer.  I would expect the 1808 to be similar. 

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:50 am »
Check out the Louis' Super 8 Alnico driver if interested in a bass-reflex enclosure. It is available separately.

See: http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/

chrisby

« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:40 am »
Check out the Louis' Super 8 Alnico driver if interested in a bass-reflex enclosure. It is available separately.

See: http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/

I must have missed a link for purchase of raw drivers, or does one need to know a guy who knows a guy?  :roll: