Sidney Harman

*Scotty*

Sidney Harman
« on: 13 Apr 2011, 10:26 pm »
Sidney Harman founder of Harman Kardon and Harman International died today in Washington D.C. at the age 92.
Scotty
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2011, 12:18 am by *Scotty* »

Pez

Re: Sidney Harmon
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2011, 10:33 pm »
He lived a long interesting life. One can only hope to be as influential as he was in so many ways.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2011, 10:55 pm »
RIP Sidney. And thank you for bringing your vision to high end audio, the publishing empire, and government.

See here.

Anand.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:11 am »
I worked for a H/K dealer from 1988-1993. I was also one of the top H/K salespeople in FL, so much so that the factory noticed how much gear we ordered. It turned out that 4 salespeople/managers in a 5 store chain were selling over 95% of the H/K gear sold by our chain.

The factory wanted to do something nice for us, so the company worked with H/K and they determined who sold what, and H/K sent Christmas gifts to us that year. It was a big surprise for us.

Imagine my shock when the stock truck pulled up (along with our owner in his Mercedes) and after I had counted all of the incoming stock, I determined there was an "extra" top of the line receiver and and "extra" Citation preamp, power amp, and tuner, with no shipping documents.

The owner called one of the other guys over and smiled as he handed us both cards. They were Christmas cards signed by Sidney Harman. The Citation stack (as the top producer) was for me.  That was a cool Christmas.

I ran that gear for well over 10 years, and greatly enjoyed it.

RIP Mr. Harmon

Pez

Re: Sidney Harman
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:32 am »
That is so cool, its rare if not nonexistent these days to see a Manufacturer give a damn about the salespeople outside of them selling lots of their gear. I think in all my years of retail I received a few pens and some brochures. Maybe I'm not the salesman you are Nels.  :P great story. 

TheChairGuy

Re: Sidney Harman
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2011, 02:37 am »
Mr. Harman was the last of the audio greats from the heyday of hi-fi (50/60's onward to and thru perhaps the early 90's when it became video oriented).

It's truly the passing of an era today. :angel: