gary dodd

RDavidson

Re: gary dodd
« Reply #60 on: 7 Feb 2015, 03:07 am »
No. It isn't right to take money in a business transaction with the understanding that you'd KNOWINGLY be hospitalized repeatedly in a short period of time requiring extensive care, having to file for bankruptcy, and be left with little to nothing.
If that's fraud, then you must have a hard time dealing with life in general because life can be quite unpredictable. If you have a safety net that can get you through something like this, good for you and the 1%. Enjoy!

roscoeiii

« Reply #61 on: 7 Feb 2015, 05:14 am »
I find so much in this thread to be unfortunate and heartbreaking. But it is the flesh, blood and brain that will always get my greatest sympathy. Let's not forget what Danny has said about the impact of this whole experience on Gary's mental capacities. It sounds like Gary is having serious cognitive difficulties. And yes, this can leave so much damage in its wake.

bardamu

« Reply #62 on: 7 Feb 2015, 07:54 am »
Hello,
At the moment of transferring the money he was already on a ''blacklist'' at some companies that did supply him parts ( will not reveal the source of this information).There were bills to be paid and other people also waiting for their paid gear.
Of course his mental and physical well being were far beyond good but when answering my questions about my new device and talking about how to transfer the money nothing did seem wrong!
Fraud? Maybe maybe not. My money was spend for things on things not related to my device. That is life?
When i get my salary most expenses are paid automatically and i will know how much is left for daily expenses for the rest of the month. When i start thinking about an extra active subwoofer i will check if i can transfer money from saving account to pay for it. If there is no money i will have to wait a few months.
Some months i just buy and some months i will need a little patience because there is money from a legacy from my late father that i wanna use for getting new windows in my house. BUT this time i did tell myself oh your father wouldnt mind spending 1700$ on a pre amp so i did transfer it.
Oooh probably not usefull information. Maybe if it is not your money going missing.
Everyone else just be carefull when doing business with'' single staff companies '' I know delays are rather common, didnt expect it to arrive a few weeks after payment. A good device will take some time and after that some final touches to raise expectations even higher.
Sincere greetings, Edward

bardamu

« Reply #63 on: 7 Feb 2015, 09:47 am »
Hello,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Sale is off guys.... Gary is going to pop the hood on it and do some updated caps and a few tweaks, and add the variable gain. After that is done, I will be adding some upgrades of my own...

This was posted december 2014 on another forum.
It starts to look like a can of worms to me.
Sioncere greetings, edward

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #64 on: 7 Feb 2015, 03:45 pm »
Guys an am biting my tongue and I am not going to get involved in things said. I am just going to try to give you guys some pertinent information and that's it.

So another FYI....

When Gary was evicted from his house back in June. I went down and made two trips with a large trailer and moved his stuff out so he wouldn't loose it. Gary knew he was being evicted and he boxed up his stuff for moving. There are a LOT of boxes. Each box was sealed and labeled on the outside as to what is in the box. And there are quite a few boxes with peoples names on them and something about what's inside. No doubt those boxes are full of parts that were purchased for projects that he could not complete. So I am pretty sure that he fully intended to get back to those projects and complete them at some point. 

RDavidson

« Reply #65 on: 7 Feb 2015, 05:54 pm »
Hello,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Sale is off guys.... Gary is going to pop the hood on it and do some updated caps and a few tweaks, and add the variable gain. After that is done, I will be adding some upgrades of my own...

This was posted december 2014 on another forum.
It starts to look like a can of worms to me.
Sioncere greetings, edward

Edward, it would do you well to stick to facts.

Fact 1. Gary owes you (and others) money or the preamp you ordered.
Fact 2. Gary has less than no money and is scraping by.

I am certain that you know there is little to zero chance of you seeing your money or preamp and I honestly sympathize with you. With that said, what do you expect to achieve from all this ; This churning up garbage and making ill assumptions about Gary and this whole situation? Many here sympathize with you, but if your goal is to take down Gary any further, if that is even possible, would be morally and ethically wrong. Yes, you may feel that you have been morally / ethically wronged, but another even worse wrong will never fix the problem. At the end of day, would it make you feel happy to beat Gary down further?

You need to find a way to just make peace with what has happened, because it is making you an ugly person. Despite my frustration with you and maybe others here in this pursuit of taking Gary down further, I'm sure you're all reasonable human beings with just a shared frustration of the unfortunate situation. But trust me, any amount of shared frustration will never materialize into taking Gary to court or otherwise, so any further churning is just wasted energy. I'm sure you have better things to do and things to enjoy in life. So please, go do things that will help you get past this in a positive way and just move forward. At this point you can only hold a shred of hope that Gary can make good with you and others. Leave it at that.

CSI

« Reply #66 on: 7 Feb 2015, 06:42 pm »
I owned a Dodd preamp some years back and enjoyed it very much. This was before his health problems got the better of him. I guess we are all at risk when dealing with "boutique" builders - it is an unhappy part of the hobby. On the other hand, you could walk into your local car dealer with the big beautiful store and get ripped off as well. And he isn't doing it because he is sick or broke. In either case it is caveat emptor. Life happens.

watercourse

« Reply #67 on: 7 Feb 2015, 08:04 pm »
A similar situation occurred with Lamphear Audio last year - unfortunately Blair Lamphear had medical issues which made him unable to follow through on orders paid for, and I knew one of his customers in this situation personally.

I am very sympathetic to both parties in the transactions here. I too had a Dodd preamp, and know that he did great work, which is why one can understand how people would consider him a safe bet despite Gary's serious medical issues.

If my friend's similar situation can help shed light in any way, it is to make clear that the biggest hurdle to clear for Gary's customers in knowing how to move on is the lack of information, and the lack of ability for information to be obtained directly from Gary himself.

In the Lamphear Audio situation, Blair's wife was able to step in, take calls, answer emails, and help resolve problems, which at least provided some way toward resolution. I wonder if there is some intermediary that would be able to step in and provide solid information (privately of course), that would help matters move towards clear resolution?

wushuliu

« Reply #68 on: 7 Feb 2015, 09:54 pm »
And last I heard his medical bills were over two million. And all knowing he could never pay it. So I wouldn't knock our medical system too hard.

But he *does* owe that 2 million, correct?

simoon

« Reply #69 on: 7 Feb 2015, 10:34 pm »
This is a real sad story. For the estimable Mr. Dodd, and for our country.

And it's far from uncommon.

The leading cause of bankruptcy in the US is due to medical problems, by far.

Medical bills account for 62% of all bankruptcies. The next most frequent reason is loss of a job, at 22%.

I will not get political in this thread, out of respect, but if Mr. Dodd was born in almost any other industrial, Western country, he'd be back in business months ago (if his health allowed) and still have almost all of his savings.

bunky

« Reply #70 on: 7 Feb 2015, 10:42 pm »
I have never owned or listened to any of Gary Dodd's gear. i have friends in this hobby who have raved about the build and sound quality of Dodd audio gear.as far as I know Gary Dodd enjoyed a stellar business/personal reputation before he was struck down by illness. if someone has a business issue to take up with Gary Dodd I don't feel that the Audiocircle is the proper forum in which to do it.  :nono:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #71 on: 7 Feb 2015, 10:45 pm »
Can we close this thread, please?

Rocket

« Reply #72 on: 8 Feb 2015, 03:05 am »
Hi Guys,

I agree can we close this thread.  Unfortunate for both parties but nothing is going to be achieved by continuing discussions about this issue. 

Regards Rod

ServerAdmin

« Reply #73 on: 8 Feb 2015, 04:12 am »
Two request to close this thread, so OK.