Listening room

Randy64

Listening room
« on: 25 Oct 2020, 09:25 pm »
 Just received back STM after mod. I have 13 x13 room with short hallway to door on one side of left speaker, 3x5.5ft dormer to window behind listening position. Also off right speaker ceiling  comes down from 8ft to 5ft. I have placed some absorbtion in corners of room. I'm wondering for first reflection point weather I should possibly use diffusion or more absorbtion. I know  a square room, and sloped ceiling is problamatic. P.S. Listened to new cd. Song started. Had my eyes closed. Eyes popped open. Smile on my face. Sounded like he was in the room. Tommy thanks for amp.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Listening room
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2020, 01:34 pm »
Just received back STM after mod. I have 13 x13 room with short hallway to door on one side of left speaker, 3x5.5ft dormer to window behind listening position. Also off right speaker ceiling  comes down from 8ft to 5ft. I have placed some absorbtion in corners of room. I'm wondering for first reflection point weather I should possibly use diffusion or more absorbtion. I know  a square room, and sloped ceiling is problamatic. P.S. Listened to new cd. Song started. Had my eyes closed. Eyes popped open. Smile on my face. Sounded like he was in the room. Tommy thanks for amp.
My pleasure, and would you mind posting a photo or two?

DRHamp

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2020, 02:41 pm »
@Randy64 - I also recently received my upgraded STM and 60V PS and have a similar room to yours (12x12x8).  I don't have the same issues as you, but issues none the less, primarily related to inflexible room layout and speaker placement as you can see from the attached photo.   
The STM and Omega speakers are a perfect combination for my small room.  I stream all of my music using a Metrum Ambre streamer to a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC to the STM.  I previously had the 1HS DAC DAC on demo and it equalled and in many ways surpassed the Yggdrasil so I'm anxiously looking forward to receiving the DAC DAC 3 which I expect will move me another step upward.

Randy64

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2020, 09:57 pm »
I appreciate your interest Tommy. Nice pictures DR. I need my son or grandson to help on the picture post. Took some pictures with my wife's tablet. By the way my wife is very much ok with me buying some gear. As long as I keep it in my room. P.S. the cd that I mentioned was Gregory Porter " All Rise". Fantastic voice, all the way through. My setup is an Oppo 103D, Cherry STM 60v, and  Buchardt S400s. Thinking of a cd transport. Possibly Audiolab. Price point is good for me. Do's anybody know anything about Melco gear.  Dac Dac 3 yes!!! I do want advice or suggestions on 1st and 2nd reflections. Enjoy reading threads on this site, even though most is over my head.

Randy64

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2020, 05:03 pm »

Randy64

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2020, 05:11 pm »
I hope these pictures were sent successfully. I`m in the process of auditioning Kef LS50s. Very nice on fine details in upper mid range and hi`s. I don`t have a sub at this time. The Kefs are the meta version.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2020, 08:51 pm »
Nice looking setup. Nice to have a dedicated room also.

It looks like you can do pretty much what you want in there aesthetically. You should take an hour and set the speakers in a diagonal configuration. This will eliminate side wall reflection issues and help with image depth. This helped in my 12x12 room when I was using a spare bedroom.

Randy64

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2020, 10:34 pm »
Would you explain more about diagonal move. At this point I'm trying to nail down the speaker and chair positions with                              tape on carpet before making any other ajustments. Like sound now quite a bit. Still auditioning Kef LS50s Meta.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2020, 10:54 pm »
Check this thread out: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=168466.0

Here's a pic of mine about a year ago. I no longer use the diagonal because my room now is 24x28 so no need.

This article from the Decware site convinced me to try it years ago.
https://www.decware.com/paper14.htm

Dsaldivar

« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2020, 04:27 am »
Timind,
Nice system. Like your recliner chair, which brand is it?
Dan

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2020, 07:06 pm »
Check this thread out: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=168466.0

Here's a pic of mine about a year ago. I no longer use the diagonal because my room now is 24x28 so no need.

This article from the Decware site convinced me to try it years ago.
https://www.decware.com/paper14.htm

Love the room!  ....and that chair!  I want one.  Please let us know what brand/model.

Maybe some Cherry amps would be a nice addition to your system (:

Craig B

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2020, 08:22 pm »
The void between the records and the equipment shelves will be filled with a storage cabinet as soon as I build it. :wink:
The listening chair, like timind's, is an IKEA Poang lounge chair.

Randy64

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2020, 09:18 pm »
Wait a second. Did you notice recliner? For my 40 years of physical work outside I'll take my chair any day. Any thoughts on first reflection. Diffusion?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2020, 09:43 pm »
Timind,
Nice system. Like your recliner chair, which brand is it?
Dan

Thanks, chair on the right is an Ikea Poang, the chair on the left is a chair I bought at a garage sale for $5. It doesn't look like much, but is a great seat for listening.

Dsaldivar

« Reply #14 on: 4 Nov 2020, 10:54 pm »
Thanks Timind,
Dan

AvsFan

« Reply #15 on: 6 Nov 2020, 06:24 pm »
Alright. I want in on this. I was going to start a thread about the evolution of my room but I guess I can just post all that here. Pictures of my listening room from the very beginning to my current set up. When I first started in here, I wasn't even thinking about building it into what it is now. It's been a work in progress for three years and still not done. Almost though. I will post some pictures later. But you all have very nice listening rooms.