My Harman (JBL M2) Trip

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
Re: My Harman (JBL M2) Trip
« Reply #180 on: 30 Apr 2017, 01:31 pm »
The DH just full-fills my audiophile void and looks prettier.  That's all.
I'm 100% for that.
Btw, these are for listening pleasure, not "studio" work, etc, yes?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #181 on: 30 Apr 2017, 01:36 pm »
I'm 100% for that.
Btw, these are for listening pleasure, not "studio" work, etc, yes?
Yes, listening only and not for work. 

srb

« Reply #182 on: 30 Apr 2017, 01:39 pm »
The Amazon stuff is of poor physical construction then?

I will say yes for that particular offering.  Copper clad aluminum has rather poor conductivity compared to pure copper.

I use a generic CL2 in-wall 4-conductor cable constructed with 4 X 14AWG OFC conductors and PVC insulation at ~ $0.50/ft.

The DH Labs Q-10 Signature is more than just a pretty face (braided external jacket).  It is also a 4-conductor cable, but constructed with ultra-premium materials:  2 X 12AWG and 2 X 14AWG silver-coated CCC conductors (7ppm 02) and PTFE insulation.  It's fairly expensive at $22.50/ft., but I've seen audio people spend a lot more for lesser materials.

Steve

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #183 on: 30 Apr 2017, 01:51 pm »
Copper clad aluminum has rather poor conductivity compared to pure copper.
Which has been demonstrated to have what (real) audible effect on audio bandwidth systems?

JohnR

« Reply #184 on: 30 Apr 2017, 02:24 pm »
What speaker wire did JBL use in the demo? (I'm curious)

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #185 on: 30 Apr 2017, 02:25 pm »
I will say yes for that particular offering.  Copper clad aluminum has rather poor conductivity compared to pure copper.
JPS Labs has been using copper clad aluminum for years.

http://www.jpslabs.com/speakercable.shtml

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #186 on: 30 Apr 2017, 02:31 pm »
What speaker wire did JBL use in the demo? (I'm curious)
Looked like bulk wire that they purchased down the street in LA at the local Blue or Orange depot.  Nothing fancy whatsoever.  Even all the cables were pro audio cables as one would expect.  It proves that great sound doesn't require fancy cables.  Go figure, it all starts with the design of the most important component.  Speaker. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #187 on: 30 Apr 2017, 02:36 pm »
I went through the pictures that I took and you can clearly see it's nothing special.   :green:   Notice the mic though?  Go figure.   

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #188 on: 30 Apr 2017, 02:43 pm »
You sure they weren't creating some depth ambiance with those inwalls?  :lol:

richidoo

« Reply #189 on: 30 Apr 2017, 03:56 pm »
JPS Labs has been using copper clad aluminum for years.

http://www.jpslabs.com/speakercable.shtml

JPS principal Joe Skubinsky told me that his proprietary Alumalloy conductor material is a homogenous alloy of several metals. Mostly copper, some aluminum, and other metals, but it is a red colored alloy. Some JPS products further plate the red Alumalloy with white metal, whether tin or aluminum idk, but there is red on the inside of each strand. I have not seen any JPS wire that is white metal interior with red plating like copper clad aluminum. In sound quality there is no comparison, but the cost difference is 3 orders of magnitude.  :lol:   

I have found that using 90x50 waveguide benefits the room acoustic. For example, ceiling reflection of upper mids causes those annoying flute and piano peak pains. Vertical dispersion control from a vertically narrow horn cures this as does ceiling treatment and a true D'Appolito array with controlled vertical lobing. Geddes' setup concept with 90 conical horns and axes crossing in front of listener minimizes sidewall reflections. So a horn can be useful for residential setups, regardless of how awful the room shape. 120 degrees seems a bit wide, but probably better covers the area behind the board for uniform tonal color.

OzarkTom

« Reply #190 on: 30 Apr 2017, 07:00 pm »
This looks like a good buy. 12g Dueland speaker wire for $6 a foot times 2. I am going to order some for my Zellatons. Lots of great reviews out there.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/Duelund-DCA12GA-20awg-Tin-Plated-Stranded-CU-Wire_moreinfo.html#31544

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #191 on: 1 May 2017, 02:36 pm »
You still need to compare for yourself, the stands can be returned
It's not about trying it. It's a bit more scientific than that.

I'm familiar with them as they will be used under my Funk 21.0LX subs.

« Last Edit: 1 May 2017, 06:12 pm by jtwrace »

witchdoctor

« Reply #192 on: 2 May 2017, 02:50 am »
It's not about trying it. It's a bit more scientific than that.

I'm familiar with them as they will be used under my Funk 21.0LX subs.

Looking good, FYI

https://youtu.be/c5ptvPya7Mc

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #193 on: 2 May 2017, 03:02 am »
Looking good, FYI

I don't think you're understanding the issue.  He said it right...he put them on the stands to bring them up closer to his ear.  He sits at a console NOT a seated position like I do in my Ekornes chair.  Putting them on the stands will have them too high for my seated position. 

goskers

« Reply #194 on: 5 May 2017, 02:14 am »
Let's get this thing back on track a bit.  My amp, the Crown DCi 8/600N finally arrived today.  Speakers are expected to ship early next week.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #195 on: 5 May 2017, 01:16 pm »
That's great news!  I got shipping confirmation of my M2's this morning too. Well, at least one of them.   :scratch:  :hyper:

goskers

« Reply #196 on: 5 May 2017, 02:40 pm »
Well shoot, I don't have any notice of shipment for any of my three ;(

Soon enough...

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #197 on: 8 May 2017, 06:03 pm »
Looks like 5/15 is my day for delivery.   :hyper:

JoshK

« Reply #198 on: 8 May 2017, 10:36 pm »
Ha, when I was ~20 I worked for a stained glass studio for a couple years.

I think the 4367 has the potential to be real close to the M2 but it's not a set system so could vary a lot more. Many benefits of the M2 are not going to be realized outside of a dedicated room, most non-dedicated rooms trash the ruler flat fr and the precise WG is also of less benefit. The M2 is a tool for production of audio first and foremost.

First off, I was in Costa Rica the last two weeks and skimmed the thread to catch up, hopefully I didn't miss too many key points in the discussion.  Also, if you haven't been, you owe it to yourself to visit Costa Rica.  My favorite destination so far and I am fairly well traveled outside of Asia (which I plan to do this summer-ish).

I think a CD waveguide helps a non-perfect room more than a standard speaker.   I am 99% sure this jives with both Toole's and Geddes's theory.   The off axis reflection in *any* room is more consistent with the on axis info with a CD speaker and thus closer to a better realization of what is suppose to be, and I think the empirical evidence to date supports this.  If the studio room was messed up, you would also have the screw up in the realization, so that can't be dismissed.  I am a 100% believer in a CD speaker.   I have owned many of both and visited a lot of high end rooms of both.   To me it is an argument that needs no further argument, but I can understand if others don't agree for whatever rationale.   For me it was long term listening and ownership that proved it to me.   * too narrow, as in the Danley's SM60F, made for less room effect but funny presentation on width/depth that was less than perfect in the long run but less of a compromise as many speakers I've heard to date. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #199 on: 9 May 2017, 12:10 am »
First off, I was in Costa Rica the last two weeks and skimmed the thread to catch up, hopefully I didn't miss too many key points in the discussion.  Also, if you haven't been, you owe it to yourself to visit Costa Rica.  My favorite destination so far and I am fairly well traveled outside of Asia (which I plan to do this summer-ish).

I think a CD waveguide helps a non-perfect room more than a standard speaker.   I am 99% sure this jives with both Toole's and Geddes's theory.   The off axis reflection in *any* room is more consistent with the on axis info with a CD speaker and thus closer to a better realization of what is suppose to be, and I think the empirical evidence to date supports this.  If the studio room was messed up, you would also have the screw up in the realization, so that can't be dismissed.  I am a 100% believer in a CD speaker.   I have owned many of both and visited a lot of high end rooms of both.   To me it is an argument that needs no further argument, but I can understand if others don't agree for whatever rationale.   For me it was long term listening and ownership that proved it to me.   * too narrow, as in the Danley's SM60F, made for less room effect but funny presentation on width/depth that was less than perfect in the long run but less of a compromise as many speakers I've heard to date.

I agree... I have no idea where all this misunderstanding is coming from and I apologize about that... But I still hold the opinion that a speaker like the M2 is a tool and it's a less effective tool without a dedicated room. I'll stop there as I don't want to go 'round in circles.  :lol: