What is the MEGAschino Cherry ?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: What is the MEGAschino Cherry ?
« Reply #60 on: 18 Feb 2018, 12:33 am »
I will surely miss the placement flexibility of the Maraschinos.  My rig is all set up to not have an amp in the rack.
Amp stands ?

Wind Chaser

A reviewer worth mentioning...
« Reply #61 on: 18 Feb 2018, 01:06 am »
Who would you like to see review this amp?  We're looking for someone with at least a double digit pro review history and very high quality speakers....  Thanks.

Tommy, there is one specific reviewer that comes to mind; his name is Steven Stone. He writes for both The Absolute Sound and Home Theater Review. Unlike some writers, he can elucidate his thoughts straight up without requiring one to read in between the lines. He's a member of Audio Circle and checks in every so often. I don't know how he determines if he's writing for one publication or the other, but that's a discussion you might want to have with him. Here's a link to his profile...  :thumb:

https://hometheaterreview.com/steven-stones-associated-equipment/

777BigAnt777

Re: A reviewer worth mentioning...
« Reply #62 on: 18 Feb 2018, 07:47 pm »
Tommy, there is one specific reviewer that comes to mind; his name is Steven Stone. He writes for both The Absolute Sound and Home Theater Review. Unlike some writers, he can elucidate his thoughts straight up without requiring one to read in between the lines. He's a member of Audio Circle and checks in every so often. I don't know how he determines if he's writing for one publication or the other, but that's a discussion you might want to have with him. Here's a link to his profile...  :thumb:

https://hometheaterreview.com/steven-stones-associated-equipment/

Yes, SS always seems straight up.  I used to rely on Richard Hardesty's experience and reviews, but he has sadly passed on.  Who has a similar noBS approach and is independent, i.e. no ads?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #63 on: 22 Feb 2018, 06:33 am »
I received a message regarding the technology difference between Maraschino and MEGAschino ("MEGA").

First, MEGA is NOT just a higher power Maraschino.....

The MEGA uses 12 output devices per channel, and the Maraschino uses 4.  This is like comparing a V4 engine to a V12 engine.

We developed a superior method for removing spurs in the passband at low levels, thus allowing an even lower "spike free" noise floor, and it's only used in the MEGA.

The huge headroom and DC coupling deliver stunning bass with "hit you in the chest" transients.  This amp can deliver current!  With a strong toroidal transformer based power supply and ultra low output impedance into the upper registers, instruments and voices are rendered with unrivaled clarity on even power hungry speakers.  It's like a bottomless pit of super clean power!  Plus, the highs have a silkiness that allows the proper fade to cymbals, and super fast transients are no longer inhibited.  The most surprising thing of all is the performance at low volumes.  You don't need to crank it up to get refined focus and locked-in imaging.  The MEGA is meant to produce better sound on your existing speakers.

If you haven't tried Cherry Amps in your system, you might not believe changing the amps could make such a difference.  It can.  We get compliments on the improvements Cherry Amps make almost daily.  If you have pre-MEGA Cherry Amps, imagine the next step up capable of a feather touch as well as the brute force of previous "super amps".

So far, reviewers have said things like it's the best amp they've ever heard, regardless of price.  Some say they never thought a Class-D Amp could sound better than Class-A, but MEGAschino shatters that barrier.

Thanks for reading my post.

-Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #64 on: 27 Feb 2018, 02:15 pm »
MEGAschino now available on our new Kickstarter !

Here's the link:
http://kck.st/2CH4sLB

We are also introducing the 130dB+ DAC DAC 2 HS and our new Digital Preamp.  Details in the project text (click "Read more about the campaign").

Check it out!  Thanks.

-Tommy

Early B.

« Reply #65 on: 4 Mar 2018, 11:26 pm »
Is there any significant benefit to upgrading Cherry amps if your speakers have very high efficiency and you never listen at ear bleeding levels? In other words, do Cherry amps have basically the same sound signature and high level of resolution, but just have differences in power depending upon one's needs?

For instance, my ILMs have 140 wpc into 8 ohms and I use 98 dB speakers. If I upgraded to a Cherry Stereo with 360 wpc or a MEGAschino with 1,000 wpc, are we talking about subtle, significant or negligible improvements?

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #66 on: 5 Mar 2018, 01:49 pm »
I'm glad you asked this. I often wonder just what improvement I might hear but also wonder why I would need a gazillion watt amplifier when I normally probably maybe just sometimes hardly get past that magical first watt!!!  :green:

Gene

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #67 on: 5 Mar 2018, 01:55 pm »
Is there any significant benefit to upgrading Cherry amps if your speakers have very high efficiency and you never listen at ear bleeding levels? In other words, do Cherry amps have basically the same sound signature and high level of resolution, but just have differences in power depending upon one's needs?

For instance, my ILMs have 140 wpc into 8 ohms and I use 98 dB speakers. If I upgraded to a Cherry Stereo with 360 wpc or a MEGAschino with 1,000 wpc, are we talking about subtle, significant or negligible improvements?
Maraschino owners have been surprised at the difference made by going from 36V or 48V power supplies to 60V power supplies.  The difference is essentially additional headroom, with the same sonic "signature" (speed and clarity).  This is especially true for high efficiency speakers.  Some high efficiency speaker owners had 36V Maraschinos and upgraded to 60V.  In every case so far, when the Maraschino owner compared 36V to 60V in the same system (the upgrade allows time with both power supplies), they stayed with 60V.  There just seems to be a "limitless" feel to quality high efficiency speakers driven by 60V Maraschinos (KING or Golden Cherry types).  Not sure if I would call this subtle.

You bring up a very good point about volume levels as well.  I've been spending a lot of time listening to the MEGAschino at low levels.  It's simply intoxicating!  It's like going from a 60V power supply to a 90V+ power supply.  There are other differences between the MEGAschino and Maraschino, other than operating voltage.  However, they are very similar sound quality wise.  Listening at low levels shows the difference all that headroom can make, even if the massive drive current on reserve isn't being tapped.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #68 on: 5 Mar 2018, 10:22 pm »
Same reason they put all that horsepower in a Dodge Demon or Vette, doubtful it will ever to totally utilized, but damn fun just the same!

Early B.

« Reply #69 on: 5 Mar 2018, 11:23 pm »
Same reason they put all that horsepower in a Dodge Demon or Vette, doubtful it will ever to totally utilized, but damn fun just the same!

Not sure that's a good analogy. My previous amp had twice the horsepower of the ILMs, but there's no decrease in headroom with the ILMs. In fact, the opposite occurred.  I'm sure there's lots of other factors.

This begs the question -- what does "headroom" sound like?  More headroom, I suppose, sounds like increased dynamics, greater micro detail, and an unrestrained, effortless (i.e., cleaner) sound???

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #70 on: 6 Mar 2018, 12:10 am »
Not sure that's a good analogy. My previous amp had twice the horsepower of the ILMs, but there's no decrease in headroom with the ILMs. In fact, the opposite occurred.  I'm sure there's lots of other factors.

This begs the question -- what does "headroom" sound like?  More headroom, I suppose, sounds like increased dynamics, greater micro detail, and an unrestrained, effortless (i.e., cleaner) sound???
Yes, great way to put it!  "Effortlessness" is the top pick for how I would describe the sonic implications.  Thanks again (:

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #71 on: 9 Mar 2018, 06:00 pm »
Tommy, can you post measurement curves for the Megs?  I am sure many here would be curious to see:

Distortion vs power @ 4 ohms
Distortion vs frequency @ 4 ohms and 200 watts
! kHz square wave @ 4 ohms
10 kHz square wave @ 4 ohms
1 kHz distortion spectrum
18.5 kHz + 19.5 kHz IMD spectrum @ 4 ohms/200 watts

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #72 on: 10 Mar 2018, 11:43 pm »
Tommy, can you post measurement curves for the Megs?  I am sure many here would be curious to see:

Distortion vs power @ 4 ohms
Distortion vs frequency @ 4 ohms and 200 watts
! kHz square wave @ 4 ohms
10 kHz square wave @ 4 ohms
1 kHz distortion spectrum
18.5 kHz + 19.5 kHz IMD spectrum @ 4 ohms/200 watts
"Static" measurements/specifications are posted earlier in this thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149935.msg1661489#msg1661489

Here's an FFT of -60dB @1kHz:

Pardon the "screen shot", but this was the fastest way to get a plot on here.

Regarding the other plots you mention, we haven't documented those results just yet.   Thanks.

mfsoa

« Reply #73 on: 13 Mar 2018, 11:58 pm »
I ordered a Mega via the kickstarter - 750 watt, stereo, extra farads.

Ever since the day I spent with the Mega at olesno's (thank you, olesno!! Maybe I'll have the pleasure of reciprocating someday :thumb:) I've been thinking of the Speed Racer episode where there is this engine, something like "The Melange" that was so powerful, so mega (he he) that it drove the driver insane. But the drivers of course HAD to have more. Anyway the engine gets buried because it's so evil but someone exhumes it and Speed of course ends up behind the wheel etc.)

The Mega is The Melange - Once heard it must be experienced again and again and...

(edit - OK totally wrong about the name of the engine...)
(edit - It's GRX)

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
"The top-end is the best I have heard from a Class D amp so far. It is nicely textured and extended, but compared to my reference Pass 30.8, there is an ever so slight amount of homogenization in the upper octaves, but it is ever so slight.The top-end is nicely detailed, and it has no glare or edginess. The truth is that it is quite beautiful."

"It has a bit of the bloom in the midrange that I most often associate with single-ended Triode tube amps. It also lets you hear the layering of the music like SET amps. Now don’t get me wrong, the MEGAschino will never be mistaken for a SET tube amp, but it does give you just a touch of their magic but with much more power. I was rather surprised by this."

Much more:
http://theaudiobeatnik.com/reviewing-the-digital-amplifier-companys-megaschino-cherry-amp/

LarryD56

« Reply #75 on: 24 Mar 2018, 05:51 am »
After listening to the Mega for a couple weeks I love the soundstage. It's much larger than the Ultra, which I thought was large. There's much more detail and body to the music which is one of the things I listen for. I took the Mega to my buddy's house (who is the former president of our local audio club and a musician) and his comment was that he enjoyed the huge/wide soundstage the Mega put out. He did not hear that with his Rowland monoblock digital amps as clearly as he did with the Mega.  He noticed how the instruments were individually spread out across the soundstage on good recordings (which is all we used). The more I listen to the Mega the more I hear those things that draw me into the music even deeper. That's my quick/short update on my couple weeks with the Megaschino.

Larry D.

maty

« Reply #76 on: 24 Mar 2018, 09:38 am »
After listening to the Mega for a couple weeks I love the soundstage. It's much larger than the Ultra, which I thought was large. There's much more detail and body to the music which is one of the things I listen for. I took the Mega to my buddy's house (who is the former president of our local audio club and a musician) and his comment was that he enjoyed the huge/wide soundstage the Mega put out. He did not hear that with his Rowland monoblock digital amps as clearly as he did with the Mega.  He noticed how the instruments were individually spread out across the soundstage on good recordings (which is all we used). The more I listen to the Mega the more I hear those things that draw me into the music even deeper. That's my quick/short update on my couple weeks with the Megaschino.

Larry D.

[The admin warns me not to duplicate the posts, so only the link]

Re: Are we on the verge of a SS revolution??? by maty

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156250.msg1675163#msg1675163

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #77 on: 24 Mar 2018, 01:56 pm »

Larry D.
Larry,

Thanks for bringing the MEGA to your buddy's house.  Glad he enjoyed the audition.   8)

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #78 on: 26 Mar 2018, 01:51 am »
Only 21 hrs left to get a discounted MEGA (and lots of other cool Cherry Amp products):
http://kck.st/2CH4sLB

maty

« Reply #79 on: 26 Mar 2018, 08:15 am »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/378044010/megaschino-world-class-high-power-audio-amplifier

* Optimized for SONICS above all else ---- we start with amazing bench specs, like 128dB SNR, then we tweak for sound AFTER that

* Black background and micro-dynamics ---- 120dB SNR, 0.005% THD+N at low power

* High power ---- MEGAschino channel boards are capable of comfortably driving up to 1000W into 4Ω and up to 2000W into 2Ω

* Extended bandwidth ---- up to 150kHz !!!

The 1200AS2 about 70 kHz at -3 dB. With this trick -like many others amps- increases SNR. Well, 70 kHz is a good compromise, bandwith greater than other class D amps.

Class D poweramp with great efficiency and bandwith <- very good engineering here.