Any Good RMAF live feeds?
« on: 10 Oct 2008, 01:34 pm »
Or close to live...
?
Mike

MaxCast

Re: Any Good RMAF live feeds?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2008, 05:09 pm »
Is anybody at the show??  Hellooooooooo Denver.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2008, 05:42 pm »
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/rmaf_2008/

Steve sez content coming soon, better hurry dude the show's been open for at least two hours!  :wink:

Steve R. if you are reading this bigger pictures please! The world is high speed networked and we can download bigger than 300 x 300 pixels in 2008.

mcullinan

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2008, 05:57 pm »
Damn we are asking a lot! And hurry IT up!
Mike  :D

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2008, 06:44 pm »
WHAT?? No pictures yet?

Enjoy The Music and StereoTimes always has great coverage as well as Audio Federation and one other that I can think of at the moment :duh: something-something home theater
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2008, 11:18 pm by Response Audio »

mcullinan

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2008, 09:08 pm »
there all drunk out of there minds by now. The pics will be all blurry. :(
Mike

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2008, 09:17 pm »
there all drunk out of there minds by now. The pics will be all blurry. :(
Mike

Not quite yet...

They are two hours behind the East Coast.  :D

The Friday night gathering at the pub in the Marriott won't begin till around 6:00pm Mountain time.

George

SwedeSound

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2008, 09:37 pm »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2008, 11:16 pm »
Congrats to Vinnie for getting front page blog exposure :thumb:

I know they're having a good time as I just got of the phone with Chris (lonewolf - who happened to be near someone I was talking to) and there is a lot to see there this year.

mcullinan

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2008, 03:18 am »
Enjoy the music has friday up... A lil

GBB

« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2008, 04:11 am »
Or close to live...
?
Mike

OK - just back from the bar.  Here are a few pictures to keep you from self destructing with anticipation.

Here is Jonathan Weiss of Oswald's Mill Audio showing his impressive new speakers - the AC1.  They have seemingly unlimited dynamic range.

Here are some open baffle speakers from Lowther America which use a 8" PM6A Lowther full range augmented by a 12" Tone Tubby woofer.  Very nice and easy to listen to.  May have been a bit rolled off but after hearing too many screechy rooms, this one was a pleasure.

The Lowthers were being driven by Nelson Pass / First Watt Electronics and a Galibier turntable, as shown below.

Jeff Catalano of High Water Sound in Manhattan had one of the best sounding systems that I heard the first day.  It consisted of Horning full range speakers, which use a Lowther driver augmented on top and bottom.  The turntable was a TW Acoustics Raven 2 and the electronics were made by an English company - Tron.  The sound playing an old Jazz LP was unbelievably realistic.

Frank Schroeder's tonearm was present in many rooms running vinyl and he was there in person with his own turntable.  Here's a picture of a new version which has a core made of slate to achieve the ultimate in damping.

Finally, RAAL Acoustics was present with their incredibly ambitious new omni-directional speakers.  These have received lots of attention in the online press over the last few weeks and they were a sight to behold.  The sound was very dynamic and spacious.  I didnt' know the electronics or the source so it's hard to judge the speakers independently from those other factors.  The sound wasn't quite as warm as I would like but I suspect that was more related to the accompanying electronics.

OK - that's it for the first day.  I'm sure others will pipe in soon.

---Gary

« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2008, 04:23 am by GBB »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2008, 12:57 pm »
Jeff (Highwater Sound) always has one of the better rooms at RMAF.

The gear he sells isn't cheap, but damn it sounds sooooo good.

Thanks for the pictures.

George

mcullinan

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2008, 01:21 pm »
YEs.. thanks for the pics!
The last one looks as if it was inspired by a wood burning stove:) How cool erm, interesting
Mike

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2008, 01:32 pm »
FYI, the Lowther in the photo above is clearly an 8" driver, not a 4".  Lowther doesn't make any 4" drivers.  (They do make a 6", the DX-55, and probably a few others.)

Double Ugly

« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2008, 01:48 pm »
Here are some open baffle speakers from Lowther America which use a 4" Lowther full range augmented by a 12" Tone Tubby woofer.  Very nice and easy to listen to.  May have been a bit rolled off but after hearing too many screechy rooms, this one was a pleasure.

I don't remember what source was used last year, but Nelson was looking quite satisfied when Bob Smith and I came through, and justifiably so.  I was surprised by how good these speakers sounded, much better than I expected.  I don't recall them sounding rolled-off in the least, but a different source, program material or any of a number of things might explain the different perception.

IIRC, I believe Nelson said the speaker's were his, which I took to mean they were his design.

GBB

« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2008, 02:10 pm »
FYI, the Lowther in the photo above is clearly an 8" driver, not a 4".  Lowther doesn't make any 4" drivers.  (They do make a 6", the DX-55, and probably a few others.)

Yep - it's an 8" PM6A with Ticonal magnets.

---Gary
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2008, 04:24 am by GBB »

Lyndon

« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2008, 02:23 pm »
Which iteration of the First Watt amp are those?
Can't tell from the photo.
Still have boards to build the F2.
Lyndon

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2008, 02:30 pm »

Looks like we were both wrong on the size of the Lowther unit.
It's a DX-45, which a quick web search says is a 5" driver.

---Gary

Can we compromise and say it's 6.5?  :roll:

It looked like an 8" relative to the woofer, but what do I know?!  Not enough to tell the size of the driver from the pic, that's for sure!  Actually, I just thought Nelson used the 8" DX-3/4.

Mijknarf

« Reply #18 on: 11 Oct 2008, 03:45 pm »
There is a link to what seems like these same open baffle speakers on the Lowther America home page: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/vsac_2008/ and the caption shows them to be the Alnico PM6A which are 8" drivers (if these are the same speakers).

mcullinan

« Reply #19 on: 11 Oct 2008, 06:29 pm »
Jeez its rough this year! I seem to remember a lot mor pics/comments last year. Waiting is the hardest part.
Mike