Cd Player or transport/USB

charmerci

Re: Cd Player or transport/USB
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2023, 07:30 pm »
Just in case you decide to, I simply downloaded all my CD's whenever I was on my computer doing other things. It may take somewhat longer but after a while you don't think about it, you don't feel like you're wasting time sitting around waiting and it eventually gets done.

2bigears

« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2023, 12:56 am »
 :D is a modded OPPO 105 a dandy cdp ?  It has digital out, so your dac of choice can be added ?  Way cheaper than the 5000 dollar great Bryston,  but that Canuck built cd3 has more functions and way newer.  This is such a dam hard decision. ?  I've made bad moves before, trying not to repeat.  :D

WGH

« Reply #22 on: 20 Apr 2023, 02:20 am »
:D is a modded OPPO 105 a dandy cdp ?  It has digital out, so your dac of choice can be added ?  Way cheaper than the 5000 dollar great Bryston,  but that Canuck built cd3 has more functions and way newer.

The decision is not hard at all, just decide how you want to listen to music.

The modded Oppo 105 Blu-ray/CD/SACD player is like a Swiss Army Knife. A jack of all trades, a master of none (it does have excellent Blu-ray). But as you discovered it has a digital out.

The Bryston BCD3 is like an expensive chef's knife, it does one thing extremely well: play CDs. Of course it has digital out too but not many people buy it to use as a transport with a DAC, kind of expensive for that. Think of the BCD3 as the best CD player for luddites who want state-of-the-art sound. No DAC needed, just one simple easy to operate box. But the BCD3 does not have a digital input so it can't be used as a DAC, so you will still be stuck listening to Mac music using your crappy old DAC (which is where we started).

Having never heard a modded Oppo 105 or Bryston BCD3 I can't say how the sound would compare but based on all the reviews I would bet the Bryston would blow away the Oppo. The BCD3's attention to jitter and dual AKM chips along with a new state-of-the-art CD tray have the Oppo beat even before the unit is turned on.

But you just bought an Oppo something-or-other so you have a very nice transport (and Blu-ray player) with digital out already. When I read the reviews comparing the Bryston CD player to their DAC the DAC won for sound quality. So with a DAC you can still play your CDs using the Oppo.

But wait there's more...

Plug your Mac into a DAC for clearer sound compared to what you are using now.

Plenty of very good used DACs so you don't need a Bryston. I picked Bryston because it has SACD input but since you don't have any SACD disks and don't know what they are then that function is moot. I'll let others make suggestions based on your price range. Brand and model is based on your speakers and electronics, we don't know.
You could have $30,000 of stereo stuff or an old Sansui receiver with the Large Advent speakers from the '70's.

And are you still buying new music? How? I download all my music, no need to go out shopping or wait on the mail when I can have instant gratification.
BandCamp is one of the best and cheapest places to buy music. If I hear of a new band I see if they are on BandCamp, listen to their music and buy 16bit/44.1kHz flac albums for $10.
https://bandcamp.com/

Plenty of free converters to change flac into WAV and burn a CD with your Mac to play in the car or use in the Oppo or convert to AIFF and add to your Mac digital library.

2bigears

« Reply #23 on: 20 Apr 2023, 03:09 am »
 :D good lord man I love the info stream here. Blows me away.  Very funny Bryston did not input a dig in. To use their dac would have been a great option.  Well shit man now I'm back to the 5k player. I'll have a great player and it will tell me if my puter based front blows goats .. I know the dac is pretty old. And my Drobo  has a noisy fan. I could slow that horse down and cruise into the new world of stream. Have a great CD player. It's crazy now a cdp costs as much as a good used motorbike. There is a used BCD3 for sale but he won't ship to Canada. Do they make USB dacs still ? Or do most have this option ? That would be my next purchase as new dacs are making strides.  I thank you very much for your good better best advice.  :D

WGH

« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2023, 04:27 am »
Very funny Bryston did not input a dig in. To use their dac would have been a great option.

Do they make USB dacs still ? Or do most have this option ?

Bryston model numbers are very similar so it is easy to get confused.

Bryston BCD3 is the CD player, it only plays CDs. It has no, zero, nada other audio inputs. The rear has an ethernet port and USB port but those are for remote control and user interface:

"RS232, Ethernet, and USB two-way control
interfaces are available to enable BCD-3 control
by home automation systems. Note that these
ports do not accept audio and are for remote
control and diagnostics only."

Bryston BDA-3 D/A Converter is a DAC
and has more inputs than you will ever use including 2 USB ports, 2 SPDIF ports, AES/EBU, toslink, and 4 HDMI input ports (Oppo SACD disk, TV, Oppo CD)

Plug the Oppo into either the HDMI or SPDIF, then you can try out/compare upsampling up to 24/192 using the SPDIF input or the basic 16/44.1 sound over HDMI at the same time.
Plug the Mac into USB1 or USB2
Easy peasy.

2bigears

« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2023, 06:15 pm »
 :D that is good info.  I believe I could use the dac to kick things off. I really wonder how it sounds compared to my old dac. It's gotta sound better you would think ?  I do have Eric's SE and his cable. But it's old for sure. Man Bryston make cool gear. I had a 4B a while back. Great amp.  :D

WGH

« Reply #26 on: 20 Apr 2023, 07:48 pm »
I really wonder how it sounds compared to my old dac. It's gotta sound better you would think ?  I do have Eric's SE and his cable. But it's old for sure.

The BDA-3 will sound different for sure but you are asking in the wrong circle. Ask about the Bryston DAC in the Bryston Circle
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=57

Tell the gang you are thinking of upgrading from a 13 year old dB Audio Labs Tranquility Signature Edition USB DAC to the Bryston BDA-3 DAC and ask if you will hear a difference?

The new Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer uses the exact same DAC inside so there should be plenty of informed opinions.
Who knows? There could be a secret audiophile in your neck of the woods that has a BDA-3 or BR-20 you could listen to.

The BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer is talked about about 22 minutes into this video:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?ref=watch_permalink&v=2792314194389422

won ton on

« Reply #27 on: 21 Apr 2023, 12:19 am »
I have an older mac mini,as i have not used i tunes for awhile can i still rip cd's on i tunes.I would like to use it  as a music server,also i have about 1200 cd's how big of a ssd drive would i need for storing at 45/16.thanks

WGH

« Reply #28 on: 21 Apr 2023, 12:57 am »
... i have about 1200 cd's how big of a ssd drive would i need for storing at 45/16.thanks

I would guess the average music file size would be between 240mb - 340mb per album with high res going into GBs. I would assume you will keep acquiring new music so 500GB is too small, get a 1TB SSD.

500GB will work but don't blame me if you run out of space. Rip some CDs and see how big the file is and do the math.

2bigears

« Reply #29 on: 21 Apr 2023, 01:23 am »
 :D your right, 300 or 400 mb per cd.  Get 2 TB's with 100% backup.  :D

won ton on

« Reply #30 on: 21 Apr 2023, 09:42 pm »
Got it working,thanks for the help everyone.