Alberto DeRoma Tone Control

fado

Alberto DeRoma Tone Control
« on: 17 Apr 2014, 12:09 am »
Has anyone tried Alberto DeRoma's "The Delicious One" tone control? If so, any comments about its performance?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Alberto DeRoma Tone Control
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2014, 12:24 am »
Seems noone has bought it yet, nobody are anxious to pay 500+ obamas for a TC.

vortrex

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2014, 11:34 pm »
I'd like to hear one.  Seems like a fair price to me.  I bet it's a great device since Alberto has such fine taste with his Shindo gear.  I think you're probably going to be hard pressed to find someone on this forum with one, saving all their money for $500 power cables.   :green:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2014, 06:21 pm »
Of course I sure Alberto is a nice person.
We all had listening tone controls in entry level amps, the Alberto TC sound the same + some connections from additional interconnect cables.

fado

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2014, 07:42 pm »
Thanks for the responses. As I understand it, the tone control is placed between the preamp and amplifier. Although my system is not balanced the manufacturer suggested using XLR connections between the amp & preamp for a cleaner sound - I think it had something to do with better grounding.

The DeRoma tone control only has RCA connections so I think I would have to use adapters to use it and defeat whatever benefit the XLR connections provide. I do not think ~$500 is a bad price if it can make the listening experience more enjoyable for low level listening and for particular source materials. Cables only optimize one's system for the most usual source materials and listening environments so I view the DeRoma device as just one more tool to fine tune a system for infrequent events.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:39 pm »
While a balanced analog audio XLR interconnect system can sometimes have a cleaner sound. It's a complete balanced system of output stage, cable & input stage.
An RCA jack, then adapter, then XLR cable, then adapter, then RCA jack, does not give you that advantage
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2014, 09:27 pm by Speedskater »

fado

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2014, 07:01 pm »
You confirmed what I was thinking. I do not think I am that unusual in having XLR connectors and am not willing to spend $1000+ in RCA cables just to use a tone control. I would definitely be inclined to try one if he produced a model with XLR connections. I am not technical however so I no idea how complicated this would be. I am very satisfied with my system sound at this point and do not want to compromise the 85% of my listening hours for which I would not need the tone control.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2014, 10:11 pm »
A friend of mine just got one and I'll have a chance to hear it in action in a few days.

Russ

fado

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2014, 12:01 am »
I look forward to hearing your impressions, especially:
1. If it adversely affects system sound quality when in the bypass mode but not physically disconnected; and,
2. Benefits & drawbacks when engaged.

Thank You