How does speaker stands affects sound?

ricardojoa

How does speaker stands affects sound?
« on: 9 Apr 2014, 08:17 pm »
Can someone give me a brief idea as to how would a monitor on a regular speaker stand such as these

would sound compare to a stand that makes part of the extension of the front baffle of a monitor such as these

I mainly want to know how the extension of the front baffle would affect the sound.

Thank you

*Scotty*

Re: How does speaker stands affects sound?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2014, 09:21 pm »
The box type speaker stand helps provide some marginal boundary reinforcement for the speakers bass output. However it may also adversely effect the how well the speaker disappears into the sound-stage due to the presence of the reflective surface of the box near the woofer which also produces mid-range as well as bass frequencies. The stand could be covered with SONEX or some other type of sound absorbing material which has its greatest effectiveness above 125Hz if this was felt necessary.
Scotty

ricardojoa

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2014, 06:33 am »
Thanks Scotty.
I am trying to figure whether is worth to convert my monitor to a floorstanding.
If that is the case with bouncing reflection of the front baffle, that could be  for many others floorstandings. I wonder if that could be the reason some say that bookshleves speakers image better.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2014, 07:01 am »
Thanks Scotty.
I am trying to figure whether is worth to convert my monitor to a floorstanding.
If that is the case with bouncing reflection of the front baffle, that could be  for many others floorstandings. I wonder if that could be the reason some say that bookshleves speakers image better.

If a monitor is designed around sitting on a stand that has no front face (2nd pic) then using it on that 2nd stand would offer a small augmentation to the bass, but not much.  The baffle's left and right edges dominate the diffraction signature when the baffle is extended downward.

One reason that speakers can offer good imaging is that the cabinet itself can smear the image due to a less than inert construction.  Small monitors are much easier to make solid and inert.  It gets exponentially more difficult as the enclosure size goes up.

ricardojoa

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2014, 10:16 am »
If a monitor is designed around sitting on a stand that has no front face (2nd pic) then using it on that 2nd stand would offer a small augmentation to the bass, but not much.  The baffle's left and right edges dominate the diffraction signature when the baffle is extended downward.

Makes sense. Sounds like converting a monitor to a floorstandung will contribute/add due to the diffractin caused by having a longer baffle.

One reason that speakers can offer good imaging is that the cabinet itself can smear the image due to a less than inert construction.  Small monitors are much easier to make solid and inert.  It gets exponentially more difficult as the enclosure size goes up.

Did you mean cant offer good imaging due to less inert cabinet?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2014, 04:18 pm »
Makes sense. Sounds like converting a monitor to a floorstandung will contribute/add due to the diffractin caused by having a longer baffle.

There's still diffraction, and it's very similar in content and shape to the monitor itself.  Converting an existing monitor design into a floor standing tower can be done without concern as long as the baffle width remains unchanged. 

Did you mean cant offer good imaging due to less inert cabinet?

Poorly worded on my part.  A cabinet images well when it doesn't contribute to the sound via panel resonances and sound transmission through the walls.  The rest of imaging takes place in matching the drivers with a proper crossover of course.

One other point about stands changing the sound: besides diffraction signatures changing slightly, the stand itself can be a contributor to the sound.  It too needs to be very solid, inert, in order to counteract the acceleration forces of the driver.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2014, 07:30 pm »
Ricardo,

I have a very similar problem with my HT L/R speakers. I ope you don't mind my asking Pete a question...

"One other point about stands changing the sound: besides diffraction signatures changing slightly, the stand itself can be a contributor to the sound.  It too needs to be very solid, inert, in order to counteract the acceleration forces of the driver."

Pete,

My HT speakers are set atop cabinets that resonate like crazy. (My wife likes them!) Can I use some sort of rubber pads on the cabinets; add a block of wood or stone (or??) on the rubber; place rubber pads on the block, and my speakers on the pads? Will this eliminate most or all of the resonance of the cabinets?

-Michael

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2014, 08:46 pm »
How does speaker stands affects the sound?
- Elevanting it.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2014, 03:59 am »
Ricardo,

I have a very similar problem with my HT L/R speakers. I ope you don't mind my asking Pete a question...

"One other point about stands changing the sound: besides diffraction signatures changing slightly, the stand itself can be a contributor to the sound.  It too needs to be very solid, inert, in order to counteract the acceleration forces of the driver."

Pete,

My HT speakers are set atop cabinets that resonate like crazy. (My wife likes them!) Can I use some sort of rubber pads on the cabinets; add a block of wood or stone (or??) on the rubber; place rubber pads on the block, and my speakers on the pads? Will this eliminate most or all of the resonance of the cabinets?

-Michael

Some isolators will help to a degree, but the action of the sound via the air is also having an impact.  The only way to really deal with it would be to deaden up the cabinets, but I have a feeling your better half would have none of that . . .  :wink:

Sometimes, you simply must compromise the sound to placate the styling sense of the missus.  That's one reason for the "man cave."

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2014, 04:19 am »
Regarding those cabinets: I've got a really heavy sledge hammer that would do the trick, but even though I've wracked my brains, I'm still unable to come up with a reasonable sounding story (that she would believe). It may simply be easier to buy SB L/C/R speakers with their own stands than face her wrath over 'accidentally' destroying her cabinets.

Perhaps I could have all the air sucked out of the house. Total vacuum will take care of that resonance.  :wink:

I'm really looking forward to meeting you guys in Chicago. I'll come bearing a gift.   :beer:

ricardojoa

« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2014, 05:58 am »
Hey Pete , thanks for the input! Inert cab and stands are always welcome in audio.  :green: