Vision Q+ Phono Preamplifier

TomBo

Vision Q+ Phono Preamplifier
« on: 17 Mar 2023, 06:27 pm »
Hi all - I received my new Vision Q+ Phono Preampli"fire" and am happy to report that this is another AVA masterpiece. Have been running it in a temporary test setup with 2 turntables (a Rega Planar 2/Longhorn Grado & a Clearaudio Concept/Goldring 1042) and the results are mind blowing! And here is why.

I have it running through a Denon AV receiver in 2 channel mode. What I am trying to say is that I am getting results I didn't think possible with the Denon and B&W DM speakers. (Haven't tried it yet with my existing AVA preamp/amp and fancy speakers...but that was never the goal here)
What I didn't expect was how much the Vision Q+ has improved the entire system & both turntables, and not by a small measure -but by a MASSIVE measure!  Here are some descriptors - Sweet, composed, ultra-fast, tons of bass, scintillating without a hint of harshness, a huge soundstage extending farther left and right of the speakers than I have ever heard through this system, engaging, lovely sounding, and ever so listenable.
Thank you Frank and the AVA Team! 
Tom

dB Cooper

Re: Vision Q+ Phono Preamplifier
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2023, 08:51 pm »
It appears one TT is right next to one of your mains and the other is sitting on top of a sub... That works OK?

BTW noticed you are running a Longhorn Grado and am sad that it is no longer available. Loved mine. Priced almost like a starter cart but punched waaaay above its weight.

TomBo

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2023, 09:41 pm »
Hi - hahah- I was wondering what the community would think when they saw this photo. The thing that looks like a subwoofer is actually 4 cement cinder blocks covered in a black cloth...   the Clearaudio is going back into my main system shortly so only temporarily on top of the Denon... I am blown away with how good the Rega sounded, I had to test the Vision Q+ with the Clearaudio to make sure I wasn't hearing things... the 2 turntables sound different, but both sound fantastic!  I may need to reassess things because I am so pleased with the Vision Q+...

TomBo

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2023, 09:46 pm »
Ps - Wayner had done the Longhorn upgrade a long time ago, then about 10 years ago did a full restoration, new stylus, checkup etc I really never used the Rega/Longhorn very much... now I think it sounds, in a different way, as good as the Clearaudio.  I may swap cartridges and hear what happens... TGIF!

TomBo

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2023, 03:55 am »
A closer look at the Longhorn...

TomBo

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2023, 12:35 am »

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2023, 10:45 am »
Hi,

I had the vision phono stage and it definitely punches above its weight. I thought it sounded better than a clear audio phono stage which retailed for about $1400usd. I thought the hagerman audio labs trumpet definitely sounded better but that is about $1200usd or thereabouts.

I would heartily recommend the AVA vision phono stage to anyone in the under $1000usd range.

Cheers Rod

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2023, 01:42 pm »
Here is the info on our just upgraded Vision Q+ phono preamplifier.

No change in price.

https://avahifi.com/collections/for-vinyl-lovers/products/vision-q-phono-preamplifier

Frank

jandrews

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2023, 10:45 am »
Very exciting ….How does the new Q+ differ from the previous generation? And when did this upstate happen?
Jason

TomBo

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2023, 02:17 am »
Wow - I tried the Vision Q+ out last night with my old (pre-Y2K) AVA Fet Valve preamp/amp and the Clearaudio/Goldring combination with phenomenal results. It really brought everything into focus. There is an addictive quality to this phono preamp.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2023, 07:57 pm by TomBo »

TomBo

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2023, 01:06 am »
AVA Vision Q+ phono preampli(fire) sounding fantastic in system B. (Monitor Audio Radius 90 speakers with a sub woofer (Definitive Technology) that is very engaging.

ceylon

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2023, 11:31 pm »
i got the vision Q+ recently. been waiting a loooong time to get the vision Q, and when i heard silver faces were comin to more ava components i held out for the silver face phono amp. BPC has just about ruined all-black non-vintage stereo gear for me.

its fantastic, just fantastic. have only used mm settings so far.

ceylon

TomBo

« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2023, 01:56 am »
ceylon, Totally enjoying the Vision Q+ this evening...best phono I have ever heard.

Fan on right provides a Leslie Speaker effect...not needed... ;)

The Vision Q+ is a masterpiece...TY FVA & Team

TomBo

« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2023, 12:10 am »
Dear AVA - Day 60 summary and update: I like the Vision Q+ Phono Preampli"fire" with everything I have connected it to. It made a Denon AV receiver with a Rega Planar 2/Longhorn Grado Green, and B&W DM610i speakers sound phenomenal.  The speakers were a little boomy in the second room (couldn't pull them out far enough from a bay window shelf) so tried again with some smaller Monitor Audio Radius 90 speakers with a tiny amount of help from a Definitive Technology Prosub 1000 with better results in that room - which is the intended destination of the Vision Q+ and SET 120 Control Amp - in my son's system. He is getting into vinyls in a big way. Here's where the problem begins...

Being a responsible dad, I had to test all the equipment in my living room to ensure it functioned properly, so after receiving the SET 120 Control Amp, I tried phono through my T3 Fet Valve preamp - it sounded really good. When I connected the Vision Q+ to the SET 120 however, the combined synergy was jaw droppingly great. I was afraid of this given my ever-increasing awareness of how the Vision Q+ made everything it touched sing. Frank used to talk about this effect - where his gear would improve the sound of everything else in a system but since I bought his gear exclusively,  I hadn't experienced this until now...Spinning vinyl on a Clearaudio Concept/Goldring 1042 table/cartridge with a set of Watkins Generation 4 speakers has brought out the best qualities of this system. The Watkins in particular sound balanced for the first time. They sound sparkling and alive. Phenomenal bass. Oh, and as others have also described, awe inspiring midrange. I have a hard set of decisions to make. Do I tell my son that I am confiscating the Vision Q+ and the SET 120 for my primary system? Or do I admit defeat and buy another Vision Q+ & Vision SET 120 Control amp or look at maybe one of the new preamps (with the Vision Q + phono preamp) with either the SET 120 or SET 500 Power Amps? And you say the new DVA M225 monoblocks are even better? Yikes!!! Signed Sleepless in Seattle...Tombo
« Last Edit: 23 May 2023, 08:45 pm by TomBo »

TomBo

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2023, 12:56 am »
Enjoying a vinyl smile along with the AVA SET 120 Control fire and the Vision Q+ Phono fire...2  hot topics...

TomBo

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2023, 01:37 am »
A close up of the Goldring 1042...

« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2023, 02:37 pm by TomBo »

TomBo

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2023, 01:54 am »
Problem solved...bought a second Vision Q+ Phono Preampli"fire"...
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2023, 02:43 pm by TomBo »

TomBo

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jun 2023, 01:10 am »
Vision Q+ #2 has arrived...my kid gets their's back...Happy Summer all!
Tom