Everything Everywhere All At a Loss

kenreau

Re: Everything Everywhere All At a Loss
« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2023, 10:51 pm »
I watched the first 30 minutes of "Everything Everywhere All at Once" a few weeks ago and was at a loss. I have yet to go back to it.

Am I missing something?

The acting was flat or at a Lifetime-channel standard, and there was little for the actors to work with in the script. It plopped me in the middle of a guy thinking about divorcing his wife, but it's hard to get a feel for them as people. There seems to be some family tension with the daughter and her girlfriend. And then suddenly, the husband appears in his wife's waking delusions or surreal events during her visit to a tax office.

I like science fiction and enjoy a good drama or comedy, but the setup in the first 30 minutes needs to be present. Instead, it's just a bunch of people who have been given little character development other than a back story who suddenly are involved in some dimension or time-shifting confusion.

I stopped watching. It didn't make me curious. There needed to be build-up or groundwork laid for the multiverse stuff. Instead, it just seemed like a gimmick layered onto lousy writing.

Well, I must be missing something if this is the best picture.

I am in at the same boat. I made it to about the 30 minute mark and stopped due to lack of interest. Still trying to decide if I will go back and finish watching it.  I fully acknowledge some films take 2~3 viewings to understand them.  This is apparently one of them.

One sci-fi movie I really enjoyed was "Nope"  Checked all my boxes.

Kenreau

newzooreview

« Reply #21 on: 14 Mar 2023, 11:46 pm »
Well, it's just one of those subjective things.

One problem I had with it was the logic and consistency of the magical system. It's a stretch to call it science fiction. No science is involved beyond the broad idea of infinite universes at the edge of some (not all) theories in physics. Beyond that, it's essentially a magical system where oddball actions (like giving yourself paper-cuts) are required to seed or enable a jump from one universe to another. Ok, but this magic system is a very flimsy construction. Even a children's series like Harry Potter gives much more substantive attention to defining the rules of what is possible in the fictional magic system. The author owes us that in exchange for our time and attention.

But EEAAO is just abusive to the audience in that regard. The writers are lazy and arrogant. They throw out a few half-baked ideas and wave their hands at the audience: "you fill in the blanks."

I guess they think they are conning people into assigning significance and profundity to their work that isn't there. Dazzle them with BS and glitter; they will think this basement dive bar is a trendy nightclub in Paris.

The movie reminds me of an episode of Family Guy. A bunch of little rim shots wrapped around a thin, simplistic idea.

Wife, husband, daughter, and grandfather sort out the tensions in their relationships. That's a perennial theme in one form or another.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding covered the same territory with good humor and more substantive and creative character depictions. Both movies traffic in ethnic tropes. One does it with humor, humanity, and novel insight. The other abuses the audience for 90 minutes with chaotic gobbledygook so that by the end, the little bit of emotional epiphany seems significant and moving.

Marching everyone through an asteroid field and then claiming credit for the calm we feel arriving at a desolate Greyhound station in Wyoming is perhaps clever, if cynical, manipulation, but it isn't good moviemaking.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2023, 11:16 am »
Thanks for an excellent description of the impressions I got from the movie newzoo.  I wasn't quite as critical when watching it, but the feelings were similar.  I thought more fanciful romp than violating magical rules, but all in the same vein.  One correction, the hardest thing to find in an asteroid field is... an asteroid.  Space is really big, all of our probes to the outer planets fly right through the asteroid belt without a second thought.

newzooreview

« Reply #23 on: 15 Mar 2023, 02:18 pm »
I was thinking of a Hollywood asteroid field, like in Star Wars!

It's really interesting that folks can take away such different impressions from the movie. It happens every day, of course. With audio equipment as well!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #24 on: 15 Mar 2023, 09:49 pm »
I was thinking of a Hollywood asteroid field, like in Star Wars!

The Expanse was one of the few to get it right.  Rock hoppers had to look hard for asteroids, and Holden found one of Marcos' asteroids by accident, all within the asteroid belt.

Vince in TX

« Reply #25 on: 16 Mar 2023, 01:21 pm »
I actually found it really interesting since I went into it not knowing what to expect.   I wasn't even aware it was tied to parallel universes.   It's timely considering I watch a lot of Marvel and DC movies, and both camps are hitting the multiverse with vigor right now.  I also like several of the cast (Jamie, Michelle, Key Huy, James Hong, whom I've actually met in person at a casting call, et. al.).

Yes, it was definitely "out there", but I'm watching Doom Patrol now for the first time,  and I am three episodes into Season 2.   DC is just...  weird.

Will I watch EEAAO more than once?  Debatable, but possible.  But that tracks with most of the Oscar winners I've seen.

CurtisIIX

« Reply #26 on: 9 May 2023, 03:28 am »
After a lengthy wait to get a library copy of Everything Everywhere All at Once, I sat through 1 hour of the film before determining it wasn't worth my time. A continuous half-hour of fighting scenes with the same multiverse gag leading to no obvious hint or plot point indicating that it was going to stop anytime soon was too tiring.

Marching everyone through an asteroid field and then claiming credit for the calm we feel arriving at a desolate Greyhound station in Wyoming is perhaps clever, if cynical, manipulation, but it isn't good moviemaking.

I appreciate your analysis. This is an ingenious synopsis, and I have a better idea of what I missed by not finishing the film.

Granted I don't see many movies, but the best movie I saw last year was Decision to Leave. It's beautifully shot crime noir with romance to blunt the edge of the genre's typical cynical approach- sadly no Best Picture nomination though.

BobM

« Reply #27 on: 9 May 2023, 12:57 pm »
One of the few movies I've walked out of. I don't understand all the hoopala about it from an artistic, movie appreciation stand point. Of course, politically I get it, but I also don't have to sit and watch it for those reasons.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #28 on: 9 May 2023, 09:27 pm »
At its core Everything Everywhere All at Once is story about family. Done in an exceptionally creative way. Michelle Yeoh was incredible! Just loved, loved, this movie. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #29 on: 9 May 2023, 11:14 pm »
I thought it was interesting, but certainly no "Best Movie"... that award should have gone to "The Banshees of Inisherin" or "The Whale". 
I can see its popularity among a younger crowd.