BANSHEES OF INISHERIN- Wow !!! HBO

stlrman

BANSHEES OF INISHERIN- Wow !!! HBO
« on: 7 Mar 2023, 12:42 am »
“Set on a remote island off the west coast of Ireland, THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN follows lifelong friends Pádraic and Colm, who find themselves at an impasse when Colm unexpectedly puts an end to their friendship. A stunned Pádraic, aided by his sister Siobhán and troubled young islander Dominic, endeavours to repair the relationship, refusing to take no for an answer. But Pádraic's repeated efforts only strengthen his former friend’s resolve and when Colm delivers a desperate ultimatum, events swiftly escalate, with shocking consequences.”
Nominated for 9 Academy Awards!!
Stellar acting performances across the board!! Stunning scenery and cinematography !! A gorgeous soundtrack!!

Do not miss this movie 🍿!! It’s dark , weird , funny and downright amazing !!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: BANSHEES OF INISHERIN- Wow !!! HBO
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2023, 01:24 am »
Yep.  Best thing I've seen in a while.  Like you said, great acting across the board. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2023, 01:35 am »
Loved the echoes of MacBeth in this movie. 

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2023, 02:17 pm »
Guess I will be a contrarian on this film. Good acting and wonderful location. I was into it for about half the film. I then became bored. I went from involved to not caring if the two resolved their differences. The self mutilation was another turn off. I realize there is a symbolic relationship to the civil war that was going on. In the end the film was a letdown for me.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2023, 05:18 pm »
Yea! Excellent film. We liked Martin McDonagh's previous films so caught Banchees in the theater instead of waiting for streaming, the cinematography was fabulous on the big screen.

Martin McDonagh won the Best Short Film Oscar for his 2004 film "Six Shooter also starring Brendan Gleeson." I didn't see that film (along with probability everyone else) so after a short search I found it as a free download on Vimeo and streaming on YouTube. No subtitles on either platform.
https://vimeo.com/332748131
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_xMyx_SogA

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2023, 03:38 am »
Thanks for the links ,  Wil watch !!
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2023, 09:43 am by stlrman »

AllanS

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2023, 03:54 am »
It’s one of those movies that keeps you thinking about it long afterwards.  Very much enjoyed it.

galyons

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2023, 09:54 pm »
There are offbeat movies with great casts, beautiful cinematography and quirky story lines that make you just want to hit “OFF!”  BUT you hang in there as the screenwriters and director slowly give you the point of all of their efforts.  At the end, you are thrilled that you hung in there!  This is NOT one of those movies.  :duh:

Cheers, Geary

kenreau

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2023, 11:06 pm »
I just re-watched a 4K remaster of "In Bruges" with the same two actors.  Great movie and both excellent actors, but the mumbling thick Irish accents are somewhat difficult to follow without subtitles.  I was afraid this movie would be too similar, and too soon, but you guys have renewed my interest in watching this soon.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2023, 11:55 pm »
What stuck with me from this movie was how it touched on so many complex themes like family, friendship, loyalty, loneliness, mental illness, depression, humility, personal growth and lack of, and probably some I am forgetting about, all told against a very simple backdrop and a handful of characters and a simple story. I think its the contrast of the depth of those themes against something so simple that stuck with me and what I enjoyed about this movie, but I can see where some would fall asleep as well.