New owner of Daedalus Audio Ulysses speakers

A_shah

Re: New owner of Daedalus Audio Ulysses speakers
« Reply #40 on: 12 Mar 2023, 06:58 pm »
OK, have just moved now.

Congratulations
These are GR8 speakers that you have  , I own a pair of Poseidon in a reasonably large open space room  ,my speakers are about 12feet a part and 4.5 feet from the front wall ( although I recall at Lou demo room they were not that far apart probably 5 to 6 feet)  I personally prefer to use low powered tube amplification with these  Daedalus Speakers as they are very efficient  and  really sing with proper placement and electronics   :thumb:

Ulisse60

« Reply #41 on: 12 Mar 2023, 10:02 pm »
Congratulations on your choice.
Daedalus speakers I've heard sound more like live music, rather than just recordings. I've heard Ulysses, Athena and owned DA-RMa v2. All shared this engaging sonic presentation. I could never work out how this was enabled, but it is marvelous. The cabinetry is in a class of its own.
They should provide you with decades of joy.
Thanks, I agree with everything you wrote, for me they were a bolt of lightning at first listening, lucky to find them in Italy, I didn't miss them !!
in hi fi it is said that nothing is forever, but I think I have reached an important milestone with the Ulysses, they will accompany me for a long time in listening to music
Hi , Dario

Ulisse60

« Reply #42 on: 12 Mar 2023, 10:12 pm »
Congratulations
These are GR8 speakers that you have  , I own a pair of Poseidon in a reasonably large open space room  ,my speakers are about 12feet a part and 4.5 feet from the front wall ( although I recall at Lou demo room they were not that far apart probably 5 to 6 feet)  I personally prefer to use low powered tube amplification with these  Daedalus Speakers as they are very efficient  and  really sing with proper placement and electronics   :thumb:
Hi
my previous loudspeakers, all of the English school and not very sensitive, led me to choose an amplification with adequate watts, however I prefer the solid state and the Emm Labs preamp in xlr gains 6 Db, so my GamuT power amp has a good synergy and I like the result
I've listened to a few amps myself to try and replace the GamuT, but the GamuT perform very well and I haven't found anything more refined in a reasonable range with at least 70-120 watts
any suggestion is welcome
greetings Dario
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2023, 03:16 pm by Ulisse60 »

dodgealum

« Reply #43 on: 13 Mar 2023, 11:43 pm »
Welcome Dario! The Ulysses are wonderful speakers. I had a friend nearby who owned a pair for some time and very much enjoyed listening at his place. I am Italian on my father's side and flew into Milan many years ago for a week long tour of Italy, mostly down the Adriatic Coast and in the mountains. We had a friend who was a local take us around so he was able to show us some wonderful places that were off the beaten path. I still remember the food and the wine after 30 years! I have the Apollo's which I love and they bring me much joy everytime I fire up the system! Enjoy!!

Ulisse60

« Reply #44 on: 2 Apr 2023, 09:55 pm »
Welcome Dario! The Ulysses are wonderful speakers. I had a friend nearby who owned a pair for some time and very much enjoyed listening at his place. I am Italian on my father's side and flew into Milan many years ago for a week long tour of Italy I have the Apollo's which I love and they bring me much joy everytime I fire up the system! Enjoy!!
Thank you, the Apollos are excellent speakers, certainly capable of giving great listening satisfaction.
I made some changes in the music room, I brought the power amp between the speakers, to try to shorten the power cables, and changed the sequence of power cables between the CD player, preamp and power amp, the sound remains very precise but a slightly softer with a midrange that seems fuller to me, I will reserve a few days of listening to better understand how the system thus developed offers music, I attach photos
greetings, Dario

GregC

« Reply #45 on: 9 Apr 2023, 06:05 pm »
Happy Easter Lou and all. 

I noticed that I have been posting that I have Apollo II speakers when I actually have Athena II speakers.  They sound fantastic and are about perfect for my medium sized room.

Ulisse60

« Reply #46 on: 16 Apr 2023, 01:47 pm »
Happy Easter Lou and all. 

I noticed that I have been posting that I have Apollo II speakers when I actually have Athena II speakers.  They sound fantastic and are about perfect for my medium sized room.
HI
my interest in Daedalus Audio began 3 years ago, I was reading a report from Florida Expo 2020, I saw the photo below, and I told myself that those speakers had something interesting, without even knowing what they were, who designed them, where they were built . . .

Ulisse60

« Reply #47 on: 16 Apr 2023, 01:51 pm »
I discovered they were the Apollos, I began to inquire, and to my great disappointment the brand was not present in Europe, in no way could I have listened to or own a pair of a model of the brand. But fortune favors the bold, it's a saying and a motto that we use in Italy, and months later, I saw the announcement of the Daedalus Ulysse, for sale, about 25 km from my house.
The first impression is that they were huge for my venue, too demanding in terms of positioning and being able to play decently in a small environment. . . to continue

Ulisse60

« Reply #48 on: 16 Apr 2023, 01:55 pm »

But I had no alternative of being able to listen to some Daedalus in Italy or in Europe, and having them 30 minutes away from my home, aroused mixed feelings in me, the ambivalence of trying to listen to them anyway, the fear of falling in love with them and therefore of the consequences that an audiophile can hardly escape, or to continue and complete the transaction, at any cost, or with the consequences of inadequacy of my room, not of the audio system, which I consider valid and coherent for my listening and my musical preferences
next
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2023, 08:49 pm by Ulisse60 »

Ulisse60

« Reply #49 on: 16 Apr 2023, 02:01 pm »
The continuation is an easily understandable story, I went to listen to the Ulysses, after an hour I knew they were my sound, my friend who accompanied me tried to make me think about the dimensions and logistics of transport to my environment, the music venue is located in the the attic of my apartment on the 6th floor, and can be reached via a narrow spiral staircase from which the Daedalus will then pass along the edge of the wall, with some difficulty given the weight, 3 people managed to hoist them up to my room I listen . . . .
I remember as if it were today, which you bring home, they remained 15 days in the living room, I was terrified not only of taking them to the 7th floor with the risk of ruining them, but also of the musical and sound result that I could have obtained, overflowing bass, a sound unmanageable, unfortunate placement . . .
Let's say they don't perform at their best, but after 3 hours of listening to my ambient system, I thanked everyone and everything, including my family for their patience, my friend for their support, and whoever sold them to me, to whom I write and wish you all the best for the holidays today!!!!
good music to all
Dario

JakeJ

« Reply #50 on: 16 Apr 2023, 03:22 pm »
I saw the announcement of the Daedalus Ulysse, for sale, about 25 km from my house.
The first impression is that they were huge for my venue, too demanding in terms of positioning and being able to play decently in a small environment. . . to continue
Having them 30 minutes away from my home.
Snips and bold by JakeJ.

My God!!  30 minutes to travel 25 km?!?  You must have the worst traffic in the world!

Just kidding, however that was quite the challenge getting them home and in the listening room.  Great story.

And welcome to AC and to Daedalus ownership.  Haven't owned any myself but have heard a few and hope to attend PNAF this year.

Ulisse60

« Reply #51 on: 16 Apr 2023, 08:54 pm »
Snips and bold by JakeJ.

My God!!  30 minutes to travel 25 km?!?  You must have the worst traffic in the world!

Just kidding, however that was quite the challenge getting them home and in the listening room.  Great story.

And welcome to AC and to Daedalus ownership.  Haven't owned any myself but have heard a few and hope to attend PNAF this year.
Thank you, I believe that every hi fi object has a story behind it, but these speakers were a set of coincidences, opportunities and timing, they deserved the story of my journey, which started about 35 years ago with the ProAc studio 125! . . .
greetings, Dario

Ulisse60

« Reply #52 on: 19 Apr 2023, 03:39 pm »
Snips and bold by JakeJ.

I have a bit of envy for American enthusiasts, because you have many interesting Hi-fi brands that in Italy are not even mentioned, and less than all are available or listenable.
The same Daedalus loudspeakers, from you in the USA, with some displacement, are listenable while in Italy it will never be possible to see them inserted in an audio system to be able to appreciate them, I had the luck and the chance to listen to the only pair present in italy, it was Ulysse and those I chose, by force of circumstances, and I'm very happy with their way of delivering music, last week I listened to the last track of the Faithless album, Everything Will Be Alright Tomorrow, recorded very well, in my room without even forcing much, for 5 minutes I reached this sound pressure, without effort, discomfort, compression or other problems. . .

Ulisse60

« Reply #53 on: 22 Apr 2023, 07:38 pm »
Good morning everyone
in test final amplifier Simaudio Moon 760A.
It's warming up in the sound system, until Tuesday to evaluate its sound qualities in my sound system. I have good expectations, I've always read very well about Simaudio, and even if the GamuT does an excellent job, after 12 years in my system, the desire for a different sound prompted me to evaluate a different power amp.
Greetings , Dario

rbbert

« Reply #54 on: 22 Apr 2023, 09:08 pm »
Have you tried any Viva amps yet?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #55 on: 23 Apr 2023, 01:44 am »
I've never heard Daedalus speakers powered by a SimAudio Amp before, but I have heard other speakers powered by SimAudio amps. I would expect this to be a nice sounding combination. I look forward to your impressions.  :popcorn:

Ulisse60

« Reply #56 on: 25 Apr 2023, 04:34 pm »
Have you tried any Viva amps yet?
HI
I haven't had any valves in my system for about a decade, or we are moving towards very high-end products, until recently I had loudspeakers with a sensitivity of 85 - 87 Db, or the watts of the valves, if few, are never adequate to avoid distortions and hardening of the sound, considering that my research is towards the most coherent and least characterized sound possible.
Viva audio has excellent amplifiers in their catalogue, the official dealer is less than 30 miles from my house, but the prices are very high and the whole chain needs to be considered considering their characteristics.
Dario

Ulisse60

« Reply #57 on: 25 Apr 2023, 04:42 pm »
I've never heard Daedalus speakers powered by a SimAudio Amp before, but I have heard other speakers powered by SimAudio amps. I would expect this to be a nice sounding combination. I look forward to your impressions.  :popcorn:
Hello, Thank you for the question, very complex. . . !!
In the last 2 years, due to my preferences, I have made a good step forward with the audio system, and with the treatment of the music room, and I doubt that to date, the most lacking part of my system is the power amp.
The GamuT has been with me for about 11 years, it is the oldest piece of the audio system ever, and I have recently compared it with some good quality amplifiers and integrated amplifiers, without ever thinking of ousting it from its starting position. because the antagonists, at best, came out on equal footing. Among these, Swiss Physic 6 A, Norma mono 8.7 , Pass int 60 , Pass 150.5, Ayre VX5 , all interesting but have never made me want to replace the GamuT.
to continue

Ulisse60

« Reply #58 on: 25 Apr 2023, 05:19 pm »
We come to the Moon Simaudio 760 A
After 3 very full days of listening, in which I passed my reference works in CD and SACD , I have to say that I really like it, how it delivers the music and how it integrates into the audio system, how it makes the speakers sing, and what it offers in terms of timbre, dynamics and audio stage.
Among the valuable elements, the fact that it delivers the sound with the richness and harmonic thickness of a valve amp, but without the limits of these, therefore great bass control, extension, undistorted dynamics and great background silence. I would add that it separates instruments and details better and more in focus than the GamuT, it delivers the voices in a magnificent way, correct, dense, very articulate and very real.
It delivers music with great energy, throughout the audio spectrum, the bass is more marked than the GamuT, the mids are lusher and with more harmonics, and for me it is the right direction because when I gave up the Emm Labs XDS1 player, the new Esoteric thrilled me, but as the only non-satisfying aspect, an average part of the spectrum a little less present and rich.
Furthermore, the sound that comes out of the speakers today seems to me more engaging and harmonic, fuller, more realistic and plausible, with a small note to consider, namely that the bad recordings are even less listenable than with the GamuT, the likelihood is increased, and the recordings are offered exactly as they are, from excellent, it seems to be in the context of silent recording, to the mediocre or indecent of some self-produced pop and music works.
The sound is textural, dense, at times exuberant, accustomed to the GamuT, even if the linearity and cleanliness are exemplary, and the extension is wide and with great continuity between the frequencies, even by raising the volume a lot, to understand each other I pushed up to about 100dB.
It is able to extract even small pieces of information and tends to propose details which with GamuT are a little more masked, less evident, it brings to the surface micro-information and hidden nuances and shows them more in focus.
The stage gains something in lateralization, I have little depth as the speakers are too close to the back wall, but where the differences are appreciated, there are and are evident.
The first power amp which in recent years is impressing me positively, the only drawback, gaining 31, makes me keep the preamp within the first 20-25 notches out of 99, but fortunately the linearity of the Emm Labs PRE is remarkable, there is no evidence of incompatibility between the preamp and the power amp, even if the GamuT with Emm Labs is really one from an electrical point of view.
What to say more, the Moon satisfied me a lot, now I have to understand the economic part where it takes me, and how the GamuT can help me from an economic point of view
I hope I was helpful, if there are any questions or curiosities, I'm here to answer
Dario

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #59 on: 26 Apr 2023, 03:17 am »
We come to the Moon Simaudio 760 A
After 3 very full days of listening, in which I passed my reference works in CD and SACD , I have to say that I really like it, how it delivers the music and how it integrates into the audio system, how it makes the speakers sing, and what it offers in terms of timbre, dynamics and audio stage.
Among the valuable elements, the fact that it delivers the sound with the richness and harmonic thickness of a valve amp, but without the limits of these, therefore great bass control, extension, undistorted dynamics and great background silence. I would add that it separates instruments and details better and more in focus than the GamuT, it delivers the voices in a magnificent way, correct, dense, very articulate and very real.
It delivers music with great energy, throughout the audio spectrum, the bass is more marked than the GamuT, the mids are lusher and with more harmonics, and for me it is the right direction because when I gave up the Emm Labs XDS1 player, the new Esoteric thrilled me, but as the only non-satisfying aspect, an average part of the spectrum a little less present and rich.
Furthermore, the sound that comes out of the speakers today seems to me more engaging and harmonic, fuller, more realistic and plausible, with a small note to consider, namely that the bad recordings are even less listenable than with the GamuT, the likelihood is increased, and the recordings are offered exactly as they are, from excellent, it seems to be in the context of silent recording, to the mediocre or indecent of some self-produced pop and music works.
The sound is textural, dense, at times exuberant, accustomed to the GamuT, even if the linearity and cleanliness are exemplary, and the extension is wide and with great continuity between the frequencies, even by raising the volume a lot, to understand each other I pushed up to about 100dB.
It is able to extract even small pieces of information and tends to propose details which with GamuT are a little more masked, less evident, it brings to the surface micro-information and hidden nuances and shows them more in focus.
The stage gains something in lateralization, I have little depth as the speakers are too close to the back wall, but where the differences are appreciated, there are and are evident.
The first power amp which in recent years is impressing me positively, the only drawback, gaining 31, makes me keep the preamp within the first 20-25 notches out of 99, but fortunately the linearity of the Emm Labs PRE is remarkable, there is no evidence of incompatibility between the preamp and the power amp, even if the GamuT with Emm Labs is really one from an electrical point of view.
What to say more, the Moon satisfied me a lot, now I have to understand the economic part where it takes me, and how the GamuT can help me from an economic point of view
I hope I was helpful, if there are any questions or curiosities, I'm here to answer
Dario

Dario,

Wow! Now you've got me wondering how it might sound in my system. Hmm. I know a SimAudio dealer (90 miles/145 km away from my home) who could provide a demo amp, but any such demo on my part will have to wait until June at the earliest.

Thank you for sharing your impressions.  :thumb:

Michael