My NX Otica Holiday Build- UPDATED with Diffusion Treatment

350Industrial

Re: My NX Otica Holiday Build
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jan 2023, 03:50 pm »

Other than that you can put some real diffusers on the wall behind the speakers.

Something different than the diffusers I already have behind the speakers?  Those are 6alpha bass traps/bi-directional diffusers from GIK that you can see on the wall now.

dpatters

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jan 2023, 04:04 pm »
I used to to have the GIK bass trap combination diffusers that you are using. I switched to the ATS diffusers with a much better result.

Don P

Hafgrim

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2023, 08:18 pm »
Something different than the diffusers I already have behind the speakers?  Those are 6alpha bass traps/bi-directional diffusers from GIK that you can see on the wall now.

Those gik are nowhere near effective as quadratic type diffusers at the task of diffusing sound.
The only issue is that they are expensive to buy and almost as expensive to ship.
I went diy and was able to build around 150 square feet surface area of diffusors.
Cost about a thousand dollars and took 20 hours of work.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/making-easy-diy-depot-sound-diffuser-panels-step-by-step.269366/

« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2023, 10:33 pm by Hafgrim »

350Industrial

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2023, 02:44 pm »
Those gik are nowhere near effective as quadratic type diffusers at the task of diffusing sound.
The only issue is that they are expensive to buy and almost as expensive to ship.
I went diy and was able to build around 150 square feet surface area of diffusors.
Cost about a thousand dollars and took 20 hours of work.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/making-easy-diy-depot-sound-diffuser-panels-step-by-step.269366/

Read through a few pages of that thread- lots of great info.  I'm a DIY'er, so would certainly consider going this way. 

I'm a bit bummed I spent so much on the GIK panels for the front wall now that I hear they aren't nearly as effective.  I would have 'done it right the first time', something I strive for in general.  I guess it's all part of the journey in this hobby.

350Industrial

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2023, 02:44 pm »
I used to to have the GIK bass trap combination diffusers that you are using. I switched to the ATS diffusers with a much better result.

Don P

Thanks for the photo- how did it change the soundstage from when you had the 6A GIK panels? 

dpatters

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2023, 02:59 pm »
Better depth and a more open sound. I felt the GIK panels were muffling the sound a bit.
https://www.atsacoustics.com
I still use GIK corner bass trap which I find effective. It was easy to sell my GIK panels. I listed them here and they sold the first day.

Don P

dpatters

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2023, 03:15 pm »
AC member Jaytor is using the ATS diffusers with NX Oticas. Of course now he just built a pair of Line Force. There is a GR Research thread on the build.

Don P

BrandonB

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan 2023, 05:25 pm »
Next was apply two finish coats, sanding with a 320 sponge between.  I used Beyer scuff resistant flat black from HD.  Sprayed very well without thinning using the Wagner gun.

These look great.  I love the color and I bet the look even better in person.  I would like  ask a few questions.  I have not ever done any woodwork but have access to a wood shop.  Why did you paint the inside before putting them together?  Which joints did you put filler in?  Would you do anything different?  Did you somehow make the bottom of the speaker come apart easily to pull out the crossover?

350Industrial

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jan 2023, 07:25 pm »
These look great.  I love the color and I bet the look even better in person.  I would like  ask a few questions.  I have not ever done any woodwork but have access to a wood shop.  Why did you paint the inside before putting them together?  Which joints did you put filler in?  Would you do anything different?  Did you somehow make the bottom of the speaker come apart easily to pull out the crossover?

No problem- all good questions.

I painted the insides first because I didn't think I could get my spray gun in the tight corners of the rear of the speaker, and if I did, the paint would be uneven.  Paint spray guns really need to be 'swept' across a surface maintaining the exact same distance from the work piece and a very uniform speed.  I was worried I couldn't do that if I waited to paint the inside of the speakers until they were assembled.  Now that I'm done, I would have probably gotten away with it since most of the inside is covered with no-rez anyway.

After the first primer coat following assembly, I sanded that coat then added a very light 'skim coat' of filler where the front baffle edges meet the edge of each wing- this created a seam vertically from the bottom to the top of the speaker on each side.  Also, where the inner braces meet the rear edges of each wing.  Very minimal amount is needed because the flat packs fit so nicely together.  You could get away with not doing this- but if you have so much time into these already, why not spend an extra 10 mins per speaker was my thinking.

I left the bottom of the speaker unglued until the very last step- after the drivers and crossovers were wired up and connected.  Since I had 'dry fit' the base during glue up (to make sure everything was in alignment during glue-up) they fit perfectly at the end of the project.

Things I'd do differently:
1- Order more wire from the start (I actually placed TWO addition orders for the solid core wire to wire the highs and mids)
2- Order more solder- I used three times as much as supplied (I probably over soldered, oh well)
3- Take some scrap MDF, glue a few pieces together, prime, prime, finish, finish just like you're planning to do to your speakers.  You need to develop your process first before you get your flat packs (I actually did this, but I wanted to share how valuable it was for me)
4- If using the same primer as I used- don't thin it.  I thinned it the first time (my spray gun was struggling) with paint thinner and it worked, but took forever to dry.  THEN I read the label and found out this primer cannot be thinned :duh:

Other than those few things, not much I'd change.  Keep in mind this is not a few-beer project.  Have patience, take your time, may require several cases of beer over many weeks.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2023, 08:09 pm »
I use and like the Mr. T diffusers in the center behind the speakers and at the first reflection points.  https://piaudiogroup.com/  These are not expensive.

Jaytor

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2023, 09:32 pm »
Yeah, I think real diffusors work much better behind open baffle speakers than the GIK absorbers with scatter/diffusion plates I was previously using. My experience is the same as Don's. The "abfusors" sucked a lot of the life out of the music compared to my ATS quadratic-residue diffusors.

The ATS panels come unfinished (bare wood). I haven't done anything to finish them yet, but I'm thinking of wrapping them with Guilford of Maine fabric.

Rock Ball

« Reply #31 on: 16 Jan 2023, 05:45 pm »
Thanks for putting together such a great post on your speaker build.  The pictures are very well done.  This will be a big help to others in the future.  Do you have a few more photos of the back of the finished speaker which show more details of how the No-Rez is installed?

I like the techniques you used to route the copper foil inductor connections to the crossover circuit.  It looks very neat and protective.

Congratulations!

350Industrial

« Reply #32 on: 17 Jan 2023, 01:31 pm »
Yeah, I think real diffusors work much better behind open baffle speakers than the GIK absorbers with scatter/diffusion plates I was previously using. My experience is the same as Don's. The "abfusors" sucked a lot of the life out of the music compared to my ATS quadratic-residue diffusors.

The ATS panels come unfinished (bare wood). I haven't done anything to finish them yet, but I'm thinking of wrapping them with Guilford of Maine fabric.

Thanks for the feedback.  It sounds like several folks have come to the same conclusion with the GIK 6alphas compared to real diffusers.   

It looks like you have four ATS panels directly behind each speaker?   

Jaytor

« Reply #33 on: 17 Jan 2023, 03:29 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  It sounds like several folks have come to the same conclusion with the GIK 6alphas compared to real diffusers.   

It looks like you have four ATS panels directly behind each speaker?

Yes, that's correct. It would probably be better to have diffusers centered between the speakers, but I didn't want to block my french doors.

350Industrial

« Reply #34 on: 7 Feb 2023, 07:21 pm »
Thanks for putting together such a great post on your speaker build.  The pictures are very well done.  This will be a big help to others in the future.  Do you have a few more photos of the back of the finished speaker which show more details of how the No-Rez is installed?

I like the techniques you used to route the copper foil inductor connections to the crossover circuit.  It looks very neat and protective.

Congratulations!

Sure- here are some close-ups of the rears.  I left about a 1/8-3/16" reveal from the edge of the wings to the No-Rez.

Edit- Rotated the pics in gallery and re-attached but still not working...

« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2023, 01:23 pm by 350Industrial »

oldman74

« Reply #35 on: 11 Feb 2023, 04:30 pm »
You have to upload your pics to your gallery, then edit said pics, usually rotate right and save the edit then attach.

Equisit builds, love that mat Black look, what did you use to cut the ro-rez?

350Industrial

« Reply #36 on: 13 Feb 2023, 01:16 pm »
You have to upload your pics to your gallery, then edit said pics, usually rotate right and save the edit then attach.

Equisit builds, love that mat Black look, what did you use to cut the ro-rez?

Thanks.  All of my other photos I just uploaded directly during the post composing but this last time they rotated.  I'll try your method.

I used my table saw to cut the no-rez to nominal sizing- then found some round objects around this house that had the same radius as the tops of the wings, used that for tracing curved my line, then used a jigsaw with a fine blade to cut the round edges.  For the non-parallel edge cuts I used my track saw.  All of those three cutting methods cut very well with a nice smooth finish.

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 13 Feb 2023, 10:12 pm »
Nice job on the build.

tug

« Reply #38 on: 17 Feb 2023, 02:10 pm »
You guys are all amazing!! I'm new to this hobby and trying to learn. Going to build nx-studios as a first try.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #39 on: 17 Feb 2023, 05:12 pm »
You guys are all amazing!! I'm new to this hobby and trying to learn. Going to build nx-studios as a first try.

NX Studios are seriously good speakers!