Preamp help

JackD

Re: Preamp help
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2023, 02:01 am »
The tubes you say came in the preamp are $150 plus tubes from Vintage Tube Service and about as good as it gets.  Doubt seriously the seller would have shipped it with "bad tubes"  So before you start looking for new tubes take the time to take the provided tubes out and re-seat them in their current position and then swap them left to right.  If tubes were shipped in preamp very likely one could have come partially unseated in shipping.  None of the other tubes recommended so far will beat the provided set if they are still good. Also the rest of the gear in your setup will determine how much "tube hiss" you hear and from what distance. The higher the efficiency of the speakers the more you will hear at a closer distance. To me any of the Chinese 12AU7's are a tube of last resort. Though the prices are climbing there are still enough 12AU7 NOS tubes around to get a good set for a "reasonable" price. In that preamp a set should last years.

chaletclub

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2023, 07:49 am »
I know this is a bit unusual, but I have an Odyssey Khartago, upgraded to the max, being controlled by a Bluesound Node 2i streamer.  I've used lots of well known separates &  found this combination to my liking.  I also really like the simplicity and short signal path when using this setup.  There's a sub out & other controls built into the Node.   

Countrypie

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2023, 01:33 pm »
The tubes you say came in the preamp are $150 plus tubes from Vintage Tube Service and about as good as it gets.  Doubt seriously the seller would have shipped it with "bad tubes"  So before you start looking for new tubes take the time to take the provided tubes out and re-seat them in their current position and then swap them left to right.  If tubes were shipped in preamp very likely one could have come partially unseated in shipping.  None of the other tubes recommended so far will beat the provided set if they are still good. Also the rest of the gear in your setup will determine how much "tube hiss" you hear and from what distance. The higher the efficiency of the speakers the more you will hear at a closer distance. To me any of the Chinese 12AU7's are a tube of last resort. Though the prices are climbing there are still enough 12AU7 NOS tubes around to get a good set for a "reasonable" price. In that preamp a set should last years.

thanks so much i will try this tonight.

JMW73

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2023, 02:56 pm »
Use a little deoxit gold and reseat the tubes.

Countrypie

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jan 2023, 05:52 pm »
You all are awesome.  I switched the tubes by hand and it seems to be gone.  I will monitor!  I am using Buchardt S400 with Odyssey and am very surprised the outcome with these bookshelfs..  I my other system i have spendor A7's and these Buchardt's sound (Almost) as nice at 1/3 the price and size.

Countrypie

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jan 2023, 06:21 pm »
You all are awesome.  I switched the tubes by hand and it seems to be gone.  I will monitor!  I am using Buchardt S400 with Odyssey and am very surprised the outcome with these bookshelfs..  I my other system i have spendor A7's and these Buchardt's sound (Almost) as nice at 1/3 the price and size.

Well I mean the noise is there but not nearly as obvious.   Should tubes be DEAD silent?

qdrone

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jan 2023, 06:46 pm »
Keep playing with tubes if you're saying the noise is only in one channel.  If you have a phono section, then yes as you increase the volume you will hear noise depending on cartridge and load setting but it should be dead nuts quite with CD or Dac. My Modwright Elyse DAC is.

JackD

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jan 2023, 07:08 pm »
No a preamp will not be dead quiet especially if you have higher efficiency speakers and get close enough to the tweeters.  The Odyssey amps only have a 1 volt input sensitivity which is low and doesn't help mask any tube noise.  The Buchardts are moderate efficiency but you will here a bit within a couple of feet or less.

qdrone

« Reply #28 on: 17 Jan 2023, 09:55 pm »
My pre Amp is solid state,my DAC is dead quite in either passive or activated mode. My pre Amp is a Musical Concepts modified Adcom 750,The Gold.

JackD

« Reply #29 on: 17 Jan 2023, 10:05 pm »
And Dan's preamps are not as you say dead quiet because I owned one. A tubed DAC, and I've owned three, are different than a tubed preamp attached to a high gain amp.

Countrypie

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jan 2023, 11:33 pm »
No a preamp will not be dead quiet especially if you have higher efficiency speakers and get close enough to the tweeters.  The Odyssey amps only have a 1 volt input sensitivity which is low and doesn't help mask any tube noise.  The Buchardts are moderate efficiency but you will here a bit within a couple of feet or less.

yes this is generally what I am experiencing.  This preamp has NO phono input but I plan on using a Rega Aria unless someone has other suggestions.   MY table is RP6 with Ania Pro MC.    I am also asking Klaus for price to upgrade my Mono's to Kismit.  Not sure how much better it can possibly sound at this point.

qdrone

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jan 2023, 01:32 am »
And Dan's preamps are not as you say dead quiet because I owned one. A tubed DAC, and I've owned three, are different than a tubed preamp attached to a high gain amp.
The Adcom is a Nelson Pass design.

JackD

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jan 2023, 01:52 am »
I know what an Adcom is and who designed some of them I was referring to your Elyse tube Dac which you claim is dead quiet and Dan's design.  Joisting with you about inherent tube noise is not the point of this thread and not helping the OP.  I now own my fifth Odyssey amp and multiple tube preamps so have some idea where the OP is coming from. You will always have some level of "tube hiss" at some distance if the combination of preamp gain, amplifier input sensitivity and speaker efficiency are not a good match.

Lemmy is god

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jan 2023, 11:31 pm »
Had a lot of hiss and slight staticky sounds from tweeters.
Took all down, hooked one,piece at a time, turns out when I pulled the hdmi from the cable box, ABSOLUTELY silent.
When I use basement system, I unplug the hdmi cable for,critical listening.