New here; very quiet?

RobertF

New here; very quiet?
« on: 21 Aug 2022, 05:22 pm »
Hi, New member from Holland.
Primarily because of the Omega Speakers subforum.
Wanted to try the CAM, but orders were not accepted till 18th of juli. Made a request for info through the website, no answer.
Made my order after that, paid, got order confirmation.
Afterwards, a deafening silence....
So whats up? I expected a delivery time from 3 to 6 months, but not even an email with a confirmation or expected delivery date?
I'm confused, are they not in business anymore?

audiomaniac

Re: New here; very quiet?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2022, 08:23 pm »
Hi Robert and welcome to the forum!

Not sure what is going on with Omega these days. They still have the notice up on the website of not accepting orders until July 18th, but they did post on Facebook on July 16th and 23rd. It would be great to hear from Louis letting us all know what's going on. :dunno:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2022, 10:58 am »
Louis is a pleasant guy in person, but his deafening silence online has kept me from becoming a customer.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2022, 06:51 pm »
Louis is a pleasant guy in person, but his deafening silence online has kept me from becoming a customer.

Really JLM? This is what has kept you from being a customer? For YEARS, all you do when there’s an Omega thread that provides you the opportunity to say something negative, you do it. Virtually EVERY time! You either rant about lack of specifications and measurements or something else! :roll: Why do you have such an axe to grind? You always preface your opinions about Omega and Louis with “Louis is a nice guy, but…” or “I am (was?) a single driver speaker devotee and owned Omegas, but…” then you proceed to bash Louis and Omega. I’m pretty certain you will come back here and say that you don’t do this. But one only need to read your posts over the last 10 years and know that I’m stating fact.

Regarding Louis’s lack of communication, no, he isn’t always super fast to respond and it’s unfortunate he hasn’t gotten back to the OP. I’m certain there’s more to this we’re not aware of. But I will say Louis is a one man team. And with the complications associated with pandemic and supply chain problems, it’s not difficult to understand how a small business can get overwhelmed. Hopefully he’s OK! We’ve lost many people (including industry folks) over the last couple of years. If you really need to get ahold of him, just call. He’s great to talk to and one of the most kind, knowledgeable, and generous folks around.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2022, 04:40 am by RDavidson »

audiomaniac

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2022, 07:47 pm »
+1 RDavidson. I first met Louis around 2005 when I bought some Omega A8s he was demoing at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. He is a stand up guy and he makes a great product that he stands behind. His reputation for making great speakers is well deserved but he is a very small operation. If one can't deal with that then go elsewhere. I'm sure Louis wouldn't take it personally.

It's true that he doesn't post a lot but you can always give him a call or send him an email. I do wish he would check in after stopping orders for a few months.  :popcorn:

jonschwartz

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2022, 04:19 pm »
Louis is working through orders and is almost caught up. Phone is the best way to reach him.

RobertF

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2022, 07:18 pm »
Thanks for all replies, I will try to phone.  For me te last option to contact a business, over here most of the time when calling a business you will be 8th in line and wait an hour, when you finally get a person on the line it is always a very polite callcenter employee that explains he/she cannot help you and asks you to email the question :)

likat

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2022, 06:38 pm »
Hi Robert!  Holland... remains one of my favorite places.

Louis' periodic silence is something I like if you can believe.  Kind of harkens back to a simpler time when I didn't get a text notification every couple of seconds.  I just took delivery of some very nice SAMs.  I called Louis as his website said no orders.  We talked, asked about what I was looking for, my room, the setup and music and he said he would reopen orders in a few weeks.  He then called me a few DAYS later and said he will be running a batch of SAMs and if I am interested he can make me a pair.  I asked about payment and he said he'll just let me know when they are done.  And one day I get an email with an invoice.  Two days after I paid they were at my door.   

Called him recently and said "Hey Louis, could you make me a subwoofer?"  No problem.  Same thing... I'll hear when it is done.  He's making these all by hand. Please don't rush on my account.  Eventually I'll get a piece of handmade artistic perfection and letting me know how it is doing along the way is probably just not a great use of time. 

Been very pleased with my SAM's