Opinions from Omega Owners - Pairing with my DIY SET

L0rdGwyn

Hi AC,

I am in the process of narrowing down what model of Omega speakers to purchase, trading emails with Louis.  I am going to be pairing them with my recently finished DIY SET amp, here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=169044.msg1791788#msg1791788

A couple of considerations, while I listen to a wide variety of genres (rock, jazz, classical, edm, hip hop), a fair amount of the music I listen to is bass-driven (e.g., techno).  Based on that, Louis recommended to me one his high output models, the “Customshop 8 monitor” shown on the Omega Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-FUvpYpCmb/?hl=en

So right now these are my top choice.  My only concern is that my space is quite small and lived in, so the speakers will need to me positioned close to a wall.  As such I was also considering something with a more shallow cabinet, like the Junior 8 XRS.

So my questions to the forum are, how might I expect something like the Customshop 8 monitor to perform with less than a foot of space between it and the rear wall?  Do Omega speakers typically benefit from wall reinforcement?  If the rear wall positioning would be detrimental, would I be better off going with the Junior 8, and can the Junior 8 handle complex and bass-driven music?

Sorry I know there are lots of variables in play, would love to hear the experiences of owners of these speakers or similar models.

Much appreciated :)

jmolsberg

Re: Opinions from Omega Owners - Pairing with my DIY SET
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2020, 01:00 pm »
the amp is just beautiful. looks to be a labor of love - heirloom piece. you are certainly on the right track corresponding with louis.
you may consider taking pictures of the listening space with some measurements and emailing him.
i have listened extensively to the regular cabinet monitors and own the XRS cabinet. both are wonderful. the XRS wide baffle design have a fuller sound to me.
while they do benefit from some rear wall reinforcement they also benefit from a little breathing room as well. but overall not particularly finicky with placement. if he can custom shop the 8 HO monitors in a wide baffle that would be killer. if not, the JR. XRS would rock your world as well! they are great speakers and any choice you make will sound absolutely wonderful with your amp. the only omega speaker i've yet to hear are the 8, but his descriptions are spot on, so expect fast with deep tuneful bass.

L0rdGwyn

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2020, 01:16 am »
Thank you again!  Yes, Louis has been very helpful.  Taking some pictures is a good idea, maybe I can get to it this weekend and see what he thinks.

Not finicky about placement is good to hear.  I'm doing my best take it slow and keep an open mind, so your thoughts are appreciated.  I'm gathering you prefer a wide-baffle approach, I am going to peruse Omega's Instagram and look for some ideas on that front.  A friend of mine is a huge proponent of the alnico drivers, so I am revisiting that as an option.  I had though that perhaps the Super Alnico HO might be a good choice to get the finesse of the alnico driver with the additional bass and dynamics of the HO design.  Have to dig around AC and see who has reviewed them!

L0rdGwyn

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2020, 06:26 pm »
I ultimately decided to go with Omega's 8-inch high output monitor in walnut, should look similar to the one below.  I think these will be a good match for my amp, music, and space.  I highly doubt this will be the last pair of Omega's I buy, in the future I may go for something more midrange-centric, alnico driver perhaps.  But right now, this is a good fit :)

Kray

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2020, 07:04 pm »
Looking forward to your impressions

jmolsberg

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2020, 11:52 pm »
It’s gonna be good  :D

FireGuy

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2020, 01:27 am »
Here's my Super 5 in walnut.  You'll dig it... a lot.

L0rdGwyn

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2020, 02:41 am »
Thanks!! I can't wait.  Louis tells me 4-6 weeks, which is a lot faster than I expected.  I will share some initial thoughts then post-burn in impressions :D