4B ST

rmurray

4B ST
« on: 13 Apr 2010, 12:32 am »
 :scratch:Hello to all fellow members. We have survived the "O-limpiks" here in Vancouver and all seems quiet enough to do some critical listening again. :lol: Anyway this is a question perhaps for JAMES! My ST 4b was made in late 1999. Were ther some tweeks or small alterations made since it's introduction in 1995. I ask this because of the fantastic performance this amp is capable of . It, after 10 years of flawless sevice, still surprises me at times with it's details and dynamics! Were ther changes along the the way in transiisters perhaps? Thanks and good listening to all ............ :dance:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Re: 4B ST
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:21 am »
How do you know what year your amp was manufactured in?

I don't see the date code on mine, and the serial # is in the 46k range.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2010, 11:15 am »
:scratch:Hello to all fellow members. We have survived the "O-limpiks" here in Vancouver and all seems quiet enough to do some critical listening again. :lol: Anyway this is a question perhaps for JAMES! My ST 4b was made in late 1999. Were ther some tweeks or small alterations made since it's introduction in 1995. I ask this because of the fantastic performance this amp is capable of . It, after 10 years of flawless sevice, still surprises me at times with it's details and dynamics! Were ther changes along the the way in transiisters perhaps? Thanks and good listening to all ............ :dance:

Hi Rmurray,

Yes the 4B has evolved over the years.  The major changes were the new SST Series with a new 'output stage' based on a much more linear transistor and then the Squared Series which was based on the 'first and last watt' design philosophy we developed for the original 28B.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2010, 11:17 am »
How do you know what year your amp was manufactured in?

I don't see the date code on mine, and the serial # is in the 46k range.

Hi ET,

Give me the serial number and I can tell you the date of manufacture.

james

etcarroll

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2010, 12:14 pm »
I think it's 46505.

Hi ET,

james

rob80b

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:47 pm »

Hi Rmurray,

I looked into this when I acquired a late version 3BST THX close to the release of the SSTs, from what I discovered the only updates on later STs were better RCA connectors, newly designed speaker posts and on the 3B a better ventilated top (more holes). From scrutinizing like photos there may have been new capacitors but wishful thinking did not materialize into the newer output transistors. This all became painfully obvious once I moved up to the SST series; the improvement of the top end was not subtle.

Robert

1ZIP

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2010, 04:05 pm »
I upgraded from a 4B ST to a 4B SST2 about a year ago,  there was a significant improvement!

rmurray

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2010, 05:42 am »
  Thanks for the info. I am going by the date of manufacture stated on the included bench test report. It reads" assembled in 99" but I don't recall the month; seems to me was around Dec. So the newer model is well woth the change. I guess I'm afraid of losing the great thing I have. Must take the plunge this year when morgage is finished ! :thankyou:

etcarroll

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2010, 10:00 pm »
Anything on this?

Based on my own research, gotta be 30 years old if a day

Hi ET,

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2010, 10:34 pm »
Anything on this?

Based on my own research, gotta be 30 years old if a day

Serial number?

james

etcarroll

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2010, 01:00 am »

b5pt9

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2010, 02:33 pm »
I've got 4B #46584 and I think it was from ~1982

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2010, 03:04 pm »

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:22 pm »
I don't recall what the serial number is of my 4B-ST. 

I bought it new from AVE in Franklin TN in October 2001. 

HsvHeelFan