Rack Mounting a 9BSST

alan422

Rack Mounting a 9BSST
« on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:39 pm »
Hi Everyone...

First of all I would like to shout out a THANK YOU to Bob Reynolds for pointing me to Audio Circle.  I didn't realize there was a home for Bryston users.  I'm looking forward to contributing!

Anyway, I have a few questions on rack mounting my amp.  I have the 19" rack mount plate which of course has no mounting holes to attach the plate to the front of the rails.  Is the amp somehow mounted to the rails the from the inside of the rack?  Also how do I provide rear support for the amp?

Another thing I noticed, the chassis is 3U in height but the height of the faceplate is 5.75 inches, 0.5 inches over 3U.  With the extra 0.5 inches, how do I dress the faceplate to the rails without it interfering with vents or components above and below it?

Phil A

Re: Rack Mounting a 9BSST
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:02 pm »
I'm not sure of a specific Bryston solution.  I'm sure James Tanner will chime in.  There may be posts about this already so you might want to do a search.  There is always a generic way to put stuff in a rack such as -  http://www.partsexpress.com/mfg/midatlantic/middle-atlantic.cfm?CFID=9334943&CFTOKEN=35043971

Rack spacers probable should be used with an amp or a component that needs circulation so there is room above it and below it.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:33 pm »
PS - welcome to the forum - now that I think about it I believe the Pro versions of Bryston amps are rack mountable from what I remember of James Tanner's response.

mv038856

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2008, 12:05 pm »
Hi Alan422!

I have the 19" rack mount plate which of course has no mounting holes to attach the plate to the front of the rails.  Is the amp somehow mounted to the rails the from the inside of the rack?  Also how do I provide rear support for the amp?

Another thing I noticed, the chassis is 3U in height but the height of the faceplate is 5.75 inches, 0.5 inches over 3U.  With the extra 0.5 inches, how do I dress the faceplate to the rails without it interfering with vents or components above and below it?

To my knowledge, the 19" SST-C-series is not intended to be rack mounted. I don't know the reason for this decision but I assume that only a small percentage of the ever growing number of Bryston home users actually stores their Bryston gear in a 19" rack. I remember, that the 'workaround' was to mount a 17" face plate and add rack mount brackets (rack ears) to the side of the amp. At least for the pre-amps this was the Bryston suggested solution.

The PRO versions of the SST amps, as you might have noticed, didn't make the face plate change that makes the 19" SST-C-series not-rack-mountable.

On the height issue, I agree with PhilA, the Bryston amps do need good ventilation. Mounting some other gear directly above it is a no go. My Bryston amps are placed in Finite Elemente Spider racks which - due to the unique design that makes shelf boards superfluous - give the best air circulation one could wish for.

Hope this helps!

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2008, 02:41 pm »
Hi All,

Just back from the CES Show in Vegas.

The C (consumer) Series was designed with a non-rack mount application in mind. So it is avialable in 17 inch faceplates with no handles or 19 inch with handles.

The 19 inch Pro faceplates are required if in fact you wish to rack mount the amplifier.

james

alan422

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2008, 04:50 pm »
Thanks James and everyone who replied!

As far as cooling I plan to use a vent panel below the amp and a dual fan panel just above.  I plan to install it in a Middle Atlantic open frame rack.  Being in an open frame rack I'm not sure if it would even need the extra cooling but I feel the more the better.

James, Do you know the cost of the 19" Pro panel?  And can it be ordered directly from Bryston or do I need to go through a dealer?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2008, 05:06 pm »
Hi,

The Pro faceplate is $200 and the handles are $100 the pair.
You can order directly from Bryston.

james

mv038856

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2008, 12:34 am »
James,

now you got me confused...   :?

The C (consumer) Series was designed with a non-rack mount application in mind. So it is avialable in 17 inch faceplates with no handles or 19 inch with handles.

The 19 inch Pro faceplates are required if in fact you wish to rack mount the amplifier.

If a PRO panel (which is to my knowledge the same as the non-C-series SST front panel that was monted on all SSTs before the C-series became available) can be mounted on a C-series SST, why can't a C-series front panel be mounted on a non-C-series SST amplifier???

I just acquired a used 14B SST (non-C-series) with the 'wrong' color. So an investment in a black face plate is necessary. I would, of course, prefer to mount the C-series front panel - just because of the better looks... ;-)

BTW, has Ann Forbes been with you on the CES? I had sent her an e-mail on Jan 6, asking for a quote for a few things (dress panel kit 14B SST, box/foam for a 9B ST, rack mount ears for BP25/SP-2PRO Upgrade...) but haven't received a reply until now.  :|

Thanks!

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2008, 01:09 am »
James,

now you got me confused...   :?

If a PRO panel (which is to my knowledge the same as the non-C-series SST front panel that was monted on all SSTs before the C-series became available) can be mounted on a C-series SST, why can't a C-series front panel be mounted on a non-C-series SST amplifier???

I just acquired a used 14B SST (non-C-series) with the 'wrong' color. So an investment in a black face plate is necessary. I would, of course, prefer to mount the C-series front panel - just because of the better looks... ;-)

BTW, has Ann Forbes been with you on the CES? I had sent her an e-mail on Jan 6, asking for a quote for a few things (dress panel kit 14B SST, box/foam for a 9B ST, rack mount ears for BP25/SP-2PRO Upgrade...) but haven't received a reply until now.  :|

Thanks!

Markus

Hi Markus,

I believe the C-Series faceplate can be put on a Pro version depending on how old the amplifier is. We have made the new versions retrofittable.  The Faceplates for the 6B, 14B and the 28B are $300 and the Handles are $200 the pair. I think there is an issue with going from 17 inch to 19 inch on some models though and I will have to check on that.

Ann Forbes is no longer with the company.  Address any parts requests to Mike Pickett.

james