2B LP vs 3B ST or 3B SST

94cdnm3

2B LP vs 3B ST or 3B SST
« on: 24 Nov 2006, 06:56 pm »
Has anyone done a comparison between these amps? If so, what were the sonic differences in your opinion. The reason I am asking is because my 2B LP has introduced a bit of hum/noise into my system. Presently, I have it bi-amped with my B60 driving Totem Arros. Thanks advance for all replies.  :)

Mag

Re: 2B LP vs 3B ST or 3B SST
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2006, 03:50 pm »
I can't give you an accurate comparison of the 2B-LP to the 3B-st or sst. This is because I have it hooked to my center and rear speaker. Before I introduced the 2B my center was powered by my Yammie. The sound was okay and I wasn't sure the 2B would make a difference. Upon hook up, it was if there was a gap before with the Yammie. Now my cc-470 matches with my other Studios that I have powered with a 3B-sst.
I don't have any hum/noise from the 2B. However when my system is cranked around 95 db the 2B right channel will clip first. So I don't push the volume any louder. I have yet to see my 3B-sst clip  and this is with two sets of 8 ohm speakers hooked to it. Also the 2B runs hot.

ec

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2006, 06:17 pm »
I use a 3B SST for the 6th and 7th speakers in my HT.  Previously, the 3B SST powered the front L & R before the 4B SST came along.  I think the 3B SST will be overkill for the Arros.  Rated at 150 wpc @ 8 ohms and I believe close to 300 @ 4 which the Arros are.   The Arros recommended maximum is 80 wpc.  I am a firm beleiver that you can never have too much power but still the amp is overkill. I currently run Arros in my 3rd system also biamped but I am using those cheapo Sonic T amps at 10 - 15 WPC into 4 ohns.  I think the newer 2B SST is in order.

Lancelot

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2006, 12:45 am »
I have used and owned all 3 . The 3B SST is a significant upgrade over the other 2, especially the 3 B ST. The ST, IMO, simply lacked the transparent smoothness and naturalness of the SST. The 2B Lp was in a different category-it didn't have the slight leaness of the ST series but it sounded somewhat small, for lack of a better word, and needed to be used for more efficient speakers in smaller rooms. The 3B SST is simply too much amp for the Arros unless you plan on upgrading the speakers in the future and want an amp to grow with.Otherwise the 2B SST would be a cheaper, and better, choice.