BP2-MM/MC & PS3 Power Supply

klao

BP2-MM/MC & PS3 Power Supply
« on: 21 May 2020, 10:06 am »
Hi James,

I'm planning to come back and play LP-vinyl again after a long break. Still keep the Lyra Etna cartridge whose specs include these parameters:

"Output voltage: 0.56 mV@5 cm/sec., zero to peak, 45 degrees (CBS test record, other test records may alter results)
Recommended load directly into MC phono input: 104 ohm-887ohm (determine by listening, or follow detailed guidelines in owner's manual)"

1. Should I go for the 20dB or 30dB transformer option in the BP2-MM/MC, given the linestage would be Brystoon SP3 pre/pro and the 28B-SST/2 PRO (with invdidual input level/gain control) amps driving Maggies 20.7s?

2. Would the BP-2 MM/MC be OK with this Lyra cart, in terms of loading impedance suggested around 104-887ohm ?

3. How long is the supplied DC power cable to hook up the PS-3 and the phono stage?  Ideally how far away should I put the PS-3 away from other equipment, and which type of equipment would be most sensitive in a bad way with the PS-3 nearby?

4. Currently my power conditioning unit with voltage stablizer has only 6 outlets.  Adding a turntable and this a phono stage would be the 7th and 8th pieces of equipment that require extra AC outlets.  If I don't want to purchase another power conditioner / voltage stablizer, which of these do you think should be most OK on itself just plugging into the wall outlets (don't really need voltage stablization from the power conditioner):  BDP-1; BDA-3; SP3; BP2-MM/MC + PS3; a turntable; & a multi-disc player + external power supply unit?

Thank you.

Mike Pickett

Re: BP2-MM/MC & PS3 Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2020, 01:23 pm »
Hi;

For an MC cartridge of more than 0.5mV, we would recommend using the 20 db version of the BP2MM/MC.

This results in a reflected impedance of around 490 Ohms, which is in the range you require.

The power cord supplied with the BP2 is 1 meter long, or just over 3 feet.  I would suggest keeping the PS3 away from analog audio units, especially high-gain units such as the BP2.  It can be installed close to the BDP1, as this unit has no analog audio circuitry in it. 

While it would be ideal to keep all equipment plugged into the power conditioner, if you have to move a couple of units to wall voltage, I'd suggest the turntable's motor power supply and the BDP1.

Thanks,

Mike

klao

Re: BP2-MM/MC & PS3 Power Supply
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2020, 05:52 pm »
Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for answering my questions above.
Please also see my questions/email to you regarding the SP3 when you have time.

Best.
Klao