SS8s have arrived!!!!!

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
SS8s have arrived!!!!!
« on: 29 Jan 2013, 09:34 pm »
Hello All,

My new Salk Soundscape 8s have been set up today! I feel very lucky to get these speakers. They have replaced a 5.1 set up of 15 year old B&W Matrix 803's as mains and 804s as center and surrounds. I have decided to go to a 2.0 system, since I listen mostly to music in two channel and the occasional movie, I figure, can be in stereo for now. I feel if I miss surround sound, I will buy the matching surrounds and center. For now, I will test this set up out for a while. I will post some other pics and listening impressions soon, but to be honest, I am recovering from a sinus infection and my ears are gummed up with pressure so I can't get the full impact of the new additions to the room. Thanks to everyone who turned me on to Salk speakers, the company, the man and the family. Pete

PSB Guy

Re: SS8s have arrived!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:13 pm »
Classy set-up there. Enjoy and welcome to the family  :thumb:

Cornelis

DGCURTIS36

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:22 pm »
Pete - am very excited for you.  The speakers look great in that room, which looks so comfortable and seems like the perfect size for them. It has been fun reading your posts the last few months as you have shared with us other Salkies the journey that brought you to this point. I hope those beauts are everything you expected them to be. I know mine have been. I look forward to reading your listening impressions. Congrats  :thumb:

Greg

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:32 pm »
Pete,

They look amazing!  Congrats.

I really like the Black,

Rick

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2013, 11:04 pm »
Congrats, I would love to hear those. I think you're showing a lot of restraint by not outfitting that room with a 7.2 system.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2013, 12:34 am »
Very exciting.  I wish I could view your posted photos, but they do not load for me.  I ASSUME all is top notch!

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2013, 01:07 am »
nice looking setup

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2013, 01:56 am »
Pete

Love your room and can't wait to hear about your step upwards

2 channel should sing

Just remember to put your discs on 2 ch mode

If you wanted to keep or add a center channel, as a pass thru that would give a large amount of your ht sound

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:04 am »
Thank you to all of you who replied. I appreciate the positive comments on my DIY room. I have been very excited today, even though I have been sick. I hope that I will feel better to start some serious listening and writing to all my audiocircle friends. Just a few quick thoughts on my first day as a Salk owner:

The midrange and treble is smoother than my old Matrix 803's. The 803's tended to be bright to my ears, so I will have some getting used to smooth instead of shrill. How nice. I also noticed that there is no midbass boom, bloom, bloat or whatever you call it, that I had in my old speakers. It is just neutral bass.

I noticed that I have to turn the volume up about five clicks higher for the same volume I am used to. 39 on my preamp is now 44. I assume it is from the sensitvity difference. I will experiment with toe in and closing and filling the back tomorrow. I had an open back all day since my front wall is pretty dead with all the bass traps behind the false wall. I am tired from all the excitement today has brought me. Thanks for allowing me to share this experience with all of you! Regards, Pete

Kwebb

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:11 am »
Very nicely done DIY work.  Awesome!  Enjoy and report back your assessment of the SS8's and comparison to your 803's.

OgOgilby

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2013, 04:03 am »
Pete,

Congrats on finally receiving your SS8's. Looks like they are a great fit for your DIY theater (nice job on the room). Hope your sinus infection clears up quickly - talk about a lousy time to get sick.

Looking forward to reading about your Salk vs B&W impressions once your head clears up.
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2013, 09:28 am by OgOgilby »

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:42 am »
The SS8's look great in your room, Pete! I'm impressed with your room too - very well done sir. Welcome to the Salk family, and I look forward to further impressions .

glangford

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:36 pm »
Yes, a very nice setup indeed.  Glad you are liking your speakers.  I myself am a 2.0 listerner as well so welcome to that club!! For me its mostly 2 channel music with the occasional saturday night flick. 

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:15 am »
Hello All
It was a busy day. I finally sold off my B&Ws and helped move them all out of the house. They have served me well for 15 years, I almost changed my mind about selling them. I had two centers, 3 surround 804s and a pair of 803s with spare parts.   I also removed the Bryston SP 1.7 surround processor and reworked/tidied up the entire rack. The processor and 3 channel 9Bst THX will go up for sale as soon as I locate the boxes in the shed... Not too much listening today, mostly cleaning up the rack and the rest of the room that was torn up with all the styrofoam etc.. I will post back in a couple of days. Sorry to leave you all hanging, but I start work tomorrow after two weeks off sick. My ears are still blocked :(

Thanks for the nice comments on my room. I started it 10 years ago, with the B&Ws as the crown jewel. I since replaced all the gear in the rack, replaced the old yamaha receiver with separates and I have been through nearly every version of oppo player up to the BDP105. I always have something to do up there, next I will finish the door and I'll be done...for now

This pic is from a few weeks ago, notice I still have surround speakers in the back, in this pic.
Take care and happy listening, Pete

carusoracer

« Reply #14 on: 1 Feb 2013, 04:16 pm »
Nice room setup 8)

OgOgilby

« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2013, 07:44 pm »

Hi Pete. Are the grills for the passive radiators brown/tan color?

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2013, 10:30 pm »
No, they are black. The colors in the pics are bit off. I have anew camera and I can't seem to get the colors to come out right. In the pic, the burgundy walls look red and the black grills look brown. Operator error in the camera for sure!

audio1246

« Reply #17 on: 4 Feb 2013, 10:53 pm »
No, they are black. The colors in the pics are bit off. I have anew camera and I can't seem to get the colors to come out right. In the pic, the burgundy walls look red and the black grills look brown. Operator error in the camera for sure!

Just select "auto white balance" in the camera which should automatically color correct it. If it is already in AWB, and is not capturing the correct colors, then set the white balance to tungsten (bulb symbol) in the camera. Hope this fixes the color issues that you are seeing.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2013, 09:05 am »
Thanks for the advice. I'll check the AWB on my camera and see if it fixes my issue.  Thanks  Pete

audio1246

« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2013, 11:52 am »
You're welcome Pete!