Thinking about upgrading to SuperCharged SongTowers....

audio1246

Hello all,

First time poster here, and in need of your help!

Alright, so I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum about SC-ST, and was thinking about upgrading my current set of speakers to SC-ST. My current setup is as follows:

Speakers - AV123 ELT525 (Towers, Center, Surrounds) - upgraded with Skiing Ninja Master and NoRez
Subs - Dual SVS PB10-NSD
Amp - Emotiva XPA-5
Pre-Pro - Onkyo PR-SC5508
Media - Oppo BDP-95

I do my listening in 2 channel (pure direct) or in Stereo (2.2 channel) setup. My living room doubles up as HT. The dimensions are 14' x 15' with the speakers on the small side.

I think my current set of speakers is fairly good - but not great - or has a wow factor. I feel that the resolution is not that clear, and music does not appear to sound as good as I can hear it on my headphones.

So, does anyone here have any first hand experience with the ELT525s and if they can shed some light on how they compare with the SC-ST? Or rather what the ELT525s lack that the SongTowers excel in?

The other contenders are the KEF R700 towers, and the B&W CM9s - none of which I have listened to yet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

audio1246

Re: Thinking about upgrading to SuperCharged SongTowers....
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2013, 02:52 am »
I forgot to mention a few other points.

My listening is 70% music, 20% movies and the rest TV.

I like listening to acoustic guitar compilations, country, contemporary jazz, rock and sometimes ambient/electronica.

Most of my audio collection is made up of CDs. Although I do have a few multi channel SACDs, a couple of DVD audio discs and a few Blu Ray music albums.

I just read Nuance's review about the ST with RT and I think that is exactly what I am looking for in my next set of speakers - detailed, open and airy.

My guess is that I would be more than happy with the SC-STs :) Or should I look at SS8s?

Any opinions? Please let me know.

Thanks,
A
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2013, 06:17 pm by audio1246 »

JerryLove

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2013, 08:32 pm »
There's also the HT2-TL and HT3 to consider. I believe there are used pairs of both avail.

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2013, 08:46 pm »
I was thoroughly unimpressed by the B&W CM9s.  My SCSTs are quite a bit better in every way especially in midrange clarity.

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2013, 09:21 pm »
Whether you go with the SC-ST's or the full blown SS8's, I think you'll be very happy with your purchase.  Obviously the SS8's are the cream of the crop, but the SC-ST's and HT2-TL's are no slouch at all.  All three give you an unfathomable amount of performance for the money.  The SS8's are as good as the Revel Ultima Salon2's IMO, and nothing comes close to the SC-ST's and HT2-TL's in their respective price ranges.  In my opinion you just can't go wrong unless you're looking for a speaker that will color the sound.  The Salk's are neutral, accurate and have awesome off-axis response (polar response).  I can't think of anything I'd rather own in those price ranges, and I have listened to a lot of speakers.  You can call me biased, but I just tell it like I hear it. :)

Just my $0.02. 

DBeistel

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2013, 10:55 pm »
If possible check the audition sticky to see if anyone in your area has HT2s and go take a listen. From what I have read the SC-ST are similar in sound to the HT2s. Also look to audition the other above speakers mentioned.

chargedmr2

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2013, 12:16 am »

I think my current set of speakers is fairly good - but not great - or has a wow factor. I feel that the resolution is not that clear, and music does not appear to sound as good as I can hear it on my headphones.

Have you considered room treatments?  If you have poor acoustics due to your room, upgrading speakers may not get you much more than a good placebo effect. 

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't consider the Salks.  They are awesome, of course. 

Good luck!

audio1246

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2013, 02:06 am »
Have you considered room treatments?  If you have poor acoustics due to your room, upgrading speakers may not get you much more than a good placebo effect. 

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't consider the Salks.  They are awesome, of course. 

Good luck!

Yes I do have room treatments. They are mostly absorbers. Probably I need a set of diffusers. Regardless of acoustic correction or audyssey eq the existing speakers are very very laid back. I need to up the treble by 6 db to get the cymbals feel like cymbals.

audio1246

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2013, 02:07 am »
I was thoroughly unimpressed by the B&W CM9s.  My SCSTs are quite a bit better in every way especially in midrange clarity.

That's good to know about SCSTs. One more speaker to not think about now :)

audio1246

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2013, 02:09 am »
There's also the HT2-TL and HT3 to consider. I believe there are used pairs of both avail.

Choices choices  hmmm.

audio1246

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2013, 02:10 am »
If possible check the audition sticky to see if anyone in your area has HT2s and go take a listen. From what I have read the SC-ST are similar in sound to the HT2s. Also look to audition the other above speakers mentioned.

I might drive down to Pontiac for an audition.  I need to set up an appointment with Jim.

audio1246

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2013, 02:16 am »
Whether you go with the SC-ST's or the full blown SS8's, I think you'll be very happy with your purchase.  Obviously the SS8's are the cream of the crop, but the SC-ST's and HT2-TL's are no slouch at all.  All three give you an unfathomable amount of performance for the money.  The SS8's are as good as the Revel Ultima Salon2's IMO, and nothing comes close to the SC-ST's and HT2-TL's in their respective price ranges.  In my opinion you just can't go wrong unless you're looking for a speaker that will color the sound.  The Salk's are neutral, accurate and have awesome off-axis response (polar response).  I can't think of anything I'd rather own in those price ranges, and I have listened to a lot of speakers.  You can call me biased, but I just tell it like I hear it. :)

Just my $0.02.

I am looking for something neutral, accurate and great sounding. The Salks appear to have all the required characteristics.