Decware SE84 Owners. Please give me your opinions and input.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Hello Guys,

I have had my Omega Supercharged 3XRS's for almost 4 weeks now and am loving them more and more everyday. I plan on submitting pictures and a review real soon. I have them matched with a Fleawatt TPA-3116 amp and a Schiit Audio Modi 2 Uber DAC. And the sound is simply amazing! By far the best two channel set up I have ever owned! Everything is breaking in very nice. Everything is brand new, the amp, dac and speakers, even the cables and speaker wire are new. So I know things are starting to sound even better with some hours on them. My question is this. I have always been intrigued with low watt tube amps and Decware amps to be specific. And especially since I have bought my Omega's, I have read that the synergy between the Omega's and Decware is magical. My only question is, will the Decware be able to handle more demanding music? Dynamics and so on? Now I am not talking about being able to play extremely loud. I live in an apartment and I rarely play my system loud. But I do want it to keep up with the music I do play at reasonable volume levels but still be dynamic and have impact. Now I know that the active 8 inch subs built into the 3XRS is going to take care of a lot of that slam that I am looking for but I just want to make sure that the SE84 UFO can handle all music very well. I listen to everything. I would say my main bulk of music is hard rock, industrial and alternative but I do listen to a lot of acoustic and guitar work too. But a lot of Metallica, Primus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Janes Addiction and NIN. So if the Decware will struggle with that genre of music, then I might look elsewhere. Thanks for all of your feedback in advance. This forum has been amazing and I love conversing with you all!  :D 

DBC

jorgen

Have no worries. I have 4 watts and no sub, Kyuss  ....and then the circus left town.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
This might help.

http://www.decware.com/paper43.htm

That was a GREAT article. I am sold! I am going Decware and not questioning it again. If worse comes to worse and I don't like it, I could send it back, after a ll, I still have my Fleawatt TPA-3116 that I LOVE!

Guy 13

Hi HiFiJeff,
I have a Decware SE84C+ with a pair of Omega 7F in a open baffle dipole configuration,
(Only a few were sold like that bu Louis, meaning without enclosure, just driver)
and it's the best sounding audio set up I've owned.
May I recommend, it not really required, but...
a Decware ZSTAGE pre-amplifier, it helps for the dynamics
with sources that have less than 2Volts.

Guy 13

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
I like Steve Deckert and his products. The sound of his SE84 is clean and clear. The hallmark of the amp for me was it's 3D imaging. It was as good as a Sun 300B I once owned and yet more involving.
Since it likes a low impedance load it performed much better when used with some autoformers to lower the imdedance of the fostex full range speakers.
I found the top and bottom end to be slightly soft when comparing to other tube amps, but none would outperform the imaging the SE84 offers.
I had plans to buy one and even pre purchased a bunch of SV83/6P15P-EV tubes, still have them somewhere and need to get rid of them, but ultimately needed more power. You should enjoy the amp.

Rocket_Ronny

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Hi HiFiJeff,
I have a Decware SE84C+ with a pair of Omega 7F in a open baffle dipole configuration,
(Only a few were sold like that bu Louis, meaning without enclosure, just driver)
and it's the best sounding audio set up I've owned.
May I recommend, it not really required, but...
a Decware ZSTAGE pre-amplifier, it helps for the dynamics
with sources that have less than 2Volts.

Guy 13

Yeah. I  talked to Steve and he suggested the ZStage Pre Amp as well.  My Schiit Audio Dac only outputs 1.5 volts.  He also said its not really necessary but I  would barely have to turn up the volume knob with it and it would make it sound like a more powerful and dynamic  amp.  Pretty much your own words. 

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Oh by the way.  Hi back.  Lol

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
I like Steve Deckert and his products. The sound of his SE84 is clean and clear. The hallmark of the amp for me was it's 3D imaging. It was as good as a Sun 300B I once owned and yet more involving.
Since it likes a low impedance load it performed much better when used with some autoformers to lower the imdedance of the fostex full range speakers.
I found the top and bottom end to be slightly soft when comparing to other tube amps, but none would outperform the imaging the SE84 offers.
I had plans to buy one and even pre purchased a bunch of SV83/6P15P-EV tubes, still have them somewhere and need to get rid of them, but ultimately needed more power. You should enjoy the amp.

Rocket_Ronny

Yeah.  Steve is a pretty cool dude.  He really likes to talk about audio.  You can tell he has a real passion for what he does.  And people keep saying the same thing about the Super Zen. Just a real  lean sounding amp with spooky imaging and a great soundstage. And I have been told to not let the 2 watts per  channel fool me.  That it will play plenty loud and be fast enough and dynamic  enough to keep up with some Lars Ulrich and and Kirk Hammett guitar work.  :)

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
I meant to say  clean sounding not lean sounding.  This is what happens when I use my phone to post replies. :)

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Try without the ZStage first.  In almost 7 years of owning various Zens I've never felt the urge to put anything between my DAC and Zen, but a good interconnect.  Instead of spending $650 to get a ZStage which (in this case) is more or less a band aid to fix the low output of your Modi 2, use the money and move up to the 2V output Bifrost Multibit.  You'll end up with better sound overall, one less interconnect, and one less piece in the signal path.  Greater transparency and sharper image focus will be the result.  With your speakers you needn't worry about a lack of dynamics.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2016, 03:40 pm by Canada Rob »

seikosha

I'm with CR.  I've got a Zstage and Zen amp.  When the Zstage is in the system, the Zen does lose a bit of it's magic.  The difference is small but noticeable.

DBC

I can Second the comments from Rob & seikosha,

With speakers as revealing as the Omegas and a decent source I can hear a slight (but noticeable) reduction in sound quality when I install my Decware pre-amp between my Oppo player and Zen UFO. Needless to say my Decware pre-amp does not get a lot of use. Adding the pre-amp gives the music a slightly Darker Tone which some may interpret as more weight. But overall the pre-amp does more harm than good in my system.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
I can Second the comments from Rob & seikosha,

With speakers as revealing as the Omegas and a decent source I can hear a slight (but noticeable) reduction in sound quality when I install my Decware pre-amp between my Oppo player and Zen UFO. Needless to say my Decware pre-amp does not get a lot of use. Adding the pre-amp gives the music a slightly Darker Tone which some may interpret as more weight. But overall the pre-amp does more harm than good in my system.

These were all kind of my thoughts. I am trying to keep it simple. The less interference between my amp and speakers the better. So you all just made me feel better about my thoughts on adding yet another component to my system. Really want to go with the minimal approach. So which Oppo player do you have? I am thinking about going with one.

DBC

My first Oppo was the BDP-83 Special Edition with upgraded analog output. I upgraded to the BDP-105D shortly after it came out. I do prefer the 105 to the 83 but the older 83 & 95 models are still very good players and can be had pretty cheap used.

Even though my audio system is only 2-channel, I use it for Home Theater purposes also. A killer 2-channel system is no slouch at HT. So I need a quality Blue Ray player for HT and a quality source for music listening. For me the Oppo is a quality one box solution for both purposes.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
My first Oppo was the BDP-83 Special Edition with upgraded analog output. I upgraded to the BDP-105D shortly after it came out. I do prefer the 105 to the 83 but the older 83 & 95 models are still very good players and can be had pretty cheap used.

Even though my audio system is only 2-channel, I use it for Home Theater purposes also. A killer 2-channel system is no slouch at HT. So I need a quality Blue Ray player for HT and a quality source for music listening. For me the Oppo is a quality one box solution for both purposes.

Thanks for the feedback. I am in the exact same boat. I don't have the luxury to have a dedicated home theater so my 2 channel set up doubles as my home theater as well, along with watching shows and playing video games. I auditioned an Oppo 105 and LOVED it! It wasn't the Darbee but the analog outs were incredible! Might save for one of those! :)