My McIntosh tube system

Slashfive

My McIntosh tube system
« on: 29 Jan 2019, 11:06 pm »
Hi everyone,
I just finished putting my first system together and am pretty excited.
My Dad had a McIntosh 4100, Denon TT and big IMF speakers when I was growing up in the 80s. I remember the sound and after humoring my wife putting in Sonos throughout our home, I decided to put a listening room together. I want my son to grow up with an appreciation for music too and hopefully impress upon him the importance of taking good care of his hearing (something already I wish I had been better about).

After a lot of reading I decided to build around old Mc tube amps. I was slowly able to find a MC225, a MC 240 and a pair of MC30s. All in fantastic original shape and all gone through. After reading virtues of each but not being able to audition them, I figured I would rotate them and keep my favorite(s).

For sources, I found a newly used Rega RP8 and cannibalized my Schiit DAC I had been using with my Woo headphone amp and lossless digital files on an old MacBook.

I decided on the McIntosh C2300 preamp in keeping with the Mc tube theme and for the phono stage and meters. I didn’t really need the onboard DAC nor the latest digital features of their newer preamps for my simple 2 channel system.

For speakers I found great condition original owner 1979 Klipsch Heresys on eBay and did the Crites crossover and tweeter upgrades. These are a nice match with my small 13x15x7 basement listening room. I  have ordered the Salk Song 3 BeAT speakers which I plan to alternate with the Klipschs if I like them. The Salks are slated to be made with bamboo cabinets and should look good with the Quadraspire rack.

I found a used Quadraspire SVT Reference rack in bamboo and purchased their matching turntable wall mount. The light and rigid philosophy is a nice pairing with the Rega.

The wall where everything is mounted is a concrete exterior foundation wall. I was up late with a hammer drill affixing the 100lb wall diffuser and TT wall mount. (I am taking no chances on that heavy diffuser crashing down on my system and have it way over secured with 1/2 Tapcon bolts and a backup French cleat). This morning when I went down to enjoy a coffee and listen to my new system I second guessed mounting the TT so high on the wall (it’s about 49” from the floor). Aesthetically I think it would look better lower on the wall but it’s easier on the back and easier to see and the height gets it away from the hot amps so I think I’ll leave it as is. Plus, if I ever added another shelf to the rack, this leaves me room to do so.

Over the coming months I’ll probably play around with more room treatments and cabling. Right now I’m just really enjoying the great sounds!

Here’s a shot with the two MC30s I just took.

jsm71

Re: My McIntosh tube system
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2019, 02:18 pm »
Congrats on taking the plunge for better listening.  Hopefully, the rest of the family will enjoy your setup as well.  I can't live without my system.  There is no better way to reduce stress.  It is also a great hobby to tinker with components until you feel you have everything giving you the sound you like.

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2019, 02:47 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2019, 03:15 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Slashfive   :thumb:  Nice system.  8)

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2019, 03:25 pm »
Excellent choices in gear.  Enjoy!

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2019, 10:25 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle Slashfive

Nice and minimalist system, enjoy.

syzygy

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2019, 11:40 pm »
Man, you jumped in with both feet - very nice!