Can I do this?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Can I do this?
« on: 13 Feb 2004, 05:15 pm »
John,

Do you see any issue with this scenario using the NOH?

I would run an ic between L/R out on HT pre/pro and one of the inputs on the NOH.  When using HT, I would adjust volume control to full open on NOH and adjust global volume from HT pre/pro.

This configuration would allow me to use my main amps for L/R channels in HT setup.

Thanks in advance for your response.

GW

ez-v

Can I do this?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2004, 05:41 pm »
Zybar,

Obviously I'm not John!  I think that is how a majority of the people who have a combined 2-ch/HT system hook up their systems, particularly those with passive pre-amps that don't have a dedicated HT passthrough.  If I remember correctly, John even posted on this forum that this is the method he would recommend.

Just don't forget to turn the volume of the Bent unit back down when you switch back to your other source!

Victor

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Can I do this?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2004, 02:31 pm »
Hello!

That is indeed the way I like to do it. I am a nut for optimizing your main sources listenning path - usually a cd player/dac, SACD and/or phono front end. With a true HT passthough you add switch contacts and wiring inside the pre-amp to do this - not a big deal but I'd rather have my main path as clean as I can.

There is a new way I have hooked a few systems up that kinda gives the best of both set-ups but you need to undestand it a bit or it seems just weird when you use it. What we do is wire the HT input directly to the top  position on level control switch. Then when you want HT passthough you just spin the knob right up and at that setting it is a true passthrough. No additional wiring in your signal path for your main listenning setup. The downside is that you loose one level position (not a big deal really) and that if you don't what has been done it seems 'strange' to have the sources change when you hit the top step! It kinda acts as a reminder to turn down the level because if you forget then the HT pre-pro is still engaged so the other sources will not play. This is a good way to go I think.

Another side note - If you use bal outputs and your pre-pro is single ended rca connections (highly likely)  then you really need to run it the way you described above since the trannie is doing the rca to xlr conversion for you and so you can not 'bypass' it anyway.

Please feel free  to call we can talk about it and work out the best way to go for your setup.

Many Thanks!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

gonefishin

Can I do this?
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2004, 01:44 pm »
zybar...how you describe it is exactly how I have mine set up.  When I watch a movie...I use my two channel "main" amps...when I listen to music...the HT stuff is completely taken out of the picture.  It works very good...just remember to set your volume position back to zero after your done watching a movie.  I haven't forgotten yet...but If I do...my 108db speakers with 8Watts will surly let me know  :o

take care>>>>>