NOH fully remote control blues!

denjo

« on: 13 Dec 2005, 04:47 pm »
Hi John
Just received my secondhand NOH (silver). Looks gorgeous and sounds euphonic! But, everytime I switch source with the remote I can hear an irritating click sound coming from my speakers. The clicking sound is proportional to the volume I play! I am worried it might spoil my Thiel CS2.4 speakers! I tried the float/hard switch but it did not help. Only way is to bring the volume all the way down, switch source and then increase the volume. When I played a DVD-Video on my Philips 963SA player I had to crank the volume all the way o almost maximum. My set does not have a gain switch behind. What does "mute" on the remote do? Can I use the NOH without the remote function being powered?
As for the sound, it is early days yet. I think the unit has not fully broken in so I will reserve comments until I have had more time with the NOH. I noticed that the NOH was not that sensitive to cable swaps and whatever cables I used gave pretty decent and similar sound. Would appreciate your advice and help!

Many thanks, Dennis

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2005, 09:49 pm »
Hello!

Glad the NOH arrived and it is off to a good start! Sorry to hear of the clicks though... The NOH's with remote source select switched both hot and ground lines - this eliminates all but the currently selected source from the system. It is the cleanest from a signal path point of view. On systems I tested on there was sometimes a small click but nothing even close to speaker damaging levels!  The click is likely happening as one ground swaps to the next  ground at a different (usually nominaly different) voltage level.  There are a couple ways I can think of we can test this and clean it up. Give a Phone call at (604) 538-9812 and we can discuss options.

I find DVD levels to be always lower than CD here as well. Running at full level is not a problem but if you need more gain than that we'll need to implement +6db mode for you. The toggles for +6 mode were hidden under the front panel - if you look from the bottom of the unit you'll see them if they are there. If they are not there then we can arrage to add'em either at your end (if you can solder or know someone who can) or by us.

Many Thansk!

John