John - TX-102 used in interstage coupling?

PurpleLion

John - TX-102 used in interstage coupling?
« on: 22 Feb 2005, 11:30 am »
Can the TX-102 be used between the output of a DAC - specifically a differential voltage output DAC (common mode voltage 0.5VREF-VDC, differential DC offset 2 mV) with the secondary input to a tube buffer stage?

What would the constraints be, i.e. heat, proximity to power transformers, etc.  In other words, if I can fit two 102s in the chassis, am I good to go?  or would they have to be mounted outside the chassis with longer leads to and from the 102s?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Hello!
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2005, 03:31 pm »
Hello!

Intersting post - thanks! If the dac buffer has a lowish output impedance (less than 1K then it should be fine. The 2mv offset is quite low and in practice if that is the spec it may be even less than that. The 0.5V output is also low but will likely be pumped up a bit with the tube output stage?

The other considderation is space in the chassis. TX102's are shielded well (MU metal can) but I would still not put them right against a power transformer. Misght be fine but does not feel like a good plan! Several inches clearance would be much better. A pair of tx102's with some roon for wiring and the switch take up some space. If you are scratch building it'd be fine - just start with a big box. If it is a refit it might get tough to squeeze it all in without making it a tough job (if it would fit at all). As a rough guide plan on needing about 6" x 8' of space 3" high.

It would be a fun project so please post your results if you go ahead with it.

Many Thansk!

John