Finished my NOH; It sounds great

capo

« on: 19 May 2004, 04:20 pm »
I finished building my NOH with Mk III transformers.  I have been listening it for a week now after break-in.  

It sound really great.  It rules over my previous multi-kilobuck tube preamp and a friend's multi-multi kilobuck preamp.  And it isn't a minor change in sound like the differences between many high end CD players -- anyone would notice it.

I was a bit worried that with the Bent unit I would lose some tube bloom, airiness, image layering, and image body -- nope, they are even better -- that in addition to the other benefits such as more pure tone and clearer sound.  

I like the Shallco controls.  I like the simple way the remote motor rides on the back of the volume control.  Also,  the pictures of the chassis on the Bent site do not do justice to the excellent looks of the unit.

My system consists of: Oris Reference 200 Horns, Welborne DRD 45 amps, Teres Turntable, K&K phono stage, modified Sony SCD-777ES.

I would like to thank John who has been patiently answering my copious questions during the build process.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2004, 11:35 pm »
Hello!

Glad it is fun! The new remote shallco worked out well. Once I get a full stock of parts I will offer the switches with remote for other diy'ers.

I had not recalled you had Oris horns. I like those designs and have a similar horn I use here with some REPS drivers (and TAD's for the low end) that are really fun. I have been getting the itch to hook up the horns again - just need to find the time....

Many Thansk and keep me posted on how the system works out!

John