LX II demo pair

RAW

LX II demo pair
« on: 24 Jan 2007, 07:26 am »
The demo pair of LX II is now on the way out to EProvenzano our AC member in Calgary Alberta.

RAW Acoustics room at RMAF with Dodd electronics.
LXII new towers
Cherry HT3
Walnut HTFR

EProvenzano

Re: LX II demo pair
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2007, 08:40 pm »
Thanks Al  :thumb:

I don't think I've seen any other members who reside in or near Calgary, but if there is some interest, I'd be happy to have a couple people over for a listen.

I have a pair of Ellis 1801's for comparison and would welcome any other speakers/gear to add to the mix.

RAW

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2007, 06:24 am »
Well after a time over the mountains to Calgay the LX II have arrived.

Have a good time with the LX II'S

That price is a good deal :wink:

Berndt

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2007, 09:06 pm »
I look forward to the reviews!

Nick V

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2007, 10:37 pm »
I'm in Edmonton, Alberta. I'd love to get a chance to listen but I probably won't be able to make the trip. Look forward to hearing your thoughts, and also associated equipment, tweaks, etc...

EProvenzano

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2007, 06:10 am »
Thanks for the interest guys  :thumb:

I only hope I can do the review justice.  I owe a thoughtful review to Al for the great service he's shown me thus far.  Humbly welcoming me into his home this summer, and now offering to set-up this in-home audition.  I can't say enough  :thumb:

I'm far from eloquent, and my key board time is rare.  I'm fond of reading this great forum but rarely do I contribute useful information.  I'm selfish in this regard.  :oops:

With that said if I can offer additional context or answer any questions, I'm happy to do the best I can.

Onward.

Here are some items currently residing in my system:

Wired SB2 feeding WAV files from my digital library
No preamp
Heavily modified Jolida 801A amplifier - push pull tube amp
-NOS Mullard 12AT7 preamp tube
-GE 6SN7 Drivers
-Svetlana KT88 Power tubes
Ellis 1801 monitors, atop heavily damped DIY stands
Interconnects are all various DIY recipes. All 99.99 silver/teflon conductors. Eichmann copper and silver bullet plugs.  Depending on the system config, I interchange these and tubes to taste.
Speaker wires are Goertz Pythons - 9 awg copper foil
8th Nerve Adapt corners (4)
Room is 8' tall x 13/15' wide x 19' long  (there is a 2' bump-out with a window in the center of one long wall)
System is oriented on the short wall
Speaker baffles' centre line are usually 7' apart and 3' from side and front walls
Listening position is usually 13' from the speakers, or 3' from the back wall.   

Recent equipment I've owned, but no longer have:
Sony XA777ES sacd player
Sony C555ES sacd player
BASIS AUIDIO 1400 Turntable - Monolithic PS1 - Grado Gold
Energy Veritas 2.1
Bryston 4BST
Odyssey Stratos - standard version, with cap upgrade
Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamp
Sonic Craft SCC300 stereo sub woofers, powered by Parts Express plate amps.
Marchand XM44 electronic xo
....I'm sure there's more, but can't think clearly now, it's late  :sleep:

So far, the LXII's are singing seductively!  These things are so smooth and utterly enjoyable!

More later.

EP

Birdynumnum

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2007, 11:39 am »
Talk about teasing with the long description of the system and ending with only a sentence about the LX II.  Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!  Quit doing that or we'll all have to go out and buy our own LX IIs right away to find out what it sounds like..............

EProvenzano

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2007, 09:12 pm »
Talk about teasing with the long description of the system and ending with only a sentence about the LX II.  Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!  Quit doing that or we'll all have to go out and buy our own LX IIs right away to find out what it sounds like..............

Sorry about that :lol:.

I'll be listening for at least another week before I start penning a review.

This is the first pair of speakers I've had in my room for audition since I purchased my 1801's many years ago.  I'm excited that every design out there has the potential to bring something special to the table.  The LXII has kept me stuck in my listening room for more than my wife cares to see  :icon_lol:

One interesting note from today's listening session: Today I pulled out my RS SPL meter and realized a couple things.  First, I can only listen to my 1801's to about 88 db before they start sounding aggressive.  At first I thought this behaviour was because, well, simply this was too loud for my ears to tollerate.  Conversely, I play the LXII's well over 90db's and they are silky smooth.  No hint of glare, compression, or listening fatigue.  They sure can Rock!

More later.
EP