Apex speaker pictures

RAW

Apex speaker pictures
« on: 8 Nov 2005, 12:05 am »
We just recieved these from our customer who built them over seas.
Customers info he had sent with the photos.

Here are some details on the APEX built process:

"I've used MDF (the newer kind that does not have the harmful chemicals), than i went to veneer supplier of rare and less rare veneers and discovered this beautiful veneer called Zebrano and purchased it. It comes in sort of long and narrow formats. Right there we cut the veneer in very large veneer cutter (approx. 8 feet long)
than with a veneer sewing machine we sewn all veneer pieces together, but since i am industrial designer i always experimenting, i decided to put wood grain
horizontally and that looked to me about 1000 times more interesting than the vertical orientation (usual).
than we used large press to adhere veneer to MDF properly with water based glue (it was very quick, it takes 17 minutes from the point of putting veneer on the mdf board to completely cured state)
and than we CNC'd parts and assembled the boxes. assembling took little more time than expected, about 6 days.
than i used (satin - semi matt) urethane based clear coat that gives very natural look of the veneer. I wanted to be able to enjoy the natural wood texture and grain, this finish my friend who helped me calls "10 percent" , we did 2 + 1/2 coats (1/2 meaning we fixed some minor imperfections).

for the front baffle, I've used high quality car paint, from the system called Akzo Nobel. It is a special formulation that I requested based on a very dark gray/black/blue pigment by having the black pigment being a driver and than adding some fine metalic flake additive to give it a little spark and depth but not too much, this is very tricky and you need to experiment to get it just right and also being careful not to create to artificial finish since you have the rest of the box done in natural wood.

No clear coat was added afterwards since the paint is very durable and resistant. I sprayed them from some distance with higher pressure and less paint coming from the spray gun, to achieve fine matt texture.

that was pretty much all in short. I hope that you will like the finished boxes. what about the speaker sound?
well... I have never owned such a quality speaker, lets put it that way. Thank you very much Al W. and thank you very much Dan W. for enabling interested ones to built and own such a high end musical instruments. it was a pleasure to work on this project and every moment is well worth. But be careful, it is not an easy speaker to do."

Best Regards,

branko

Thanks for the great pictures Branko you did a very nice job.

dave_c

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2005, 12:54 am »
:o   WOW!    :o

Al Garay

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2005, 02:54 am »
Stunning. Looks much larger than 48" tall x 10" wide by 16" deep.
I think I want a pair.

kfr01

wow
« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2005, 03:05 am »
After living with the 2641's for a few weeks now, I cannot possibly imagine what kind of HUGE sound those would produce... 4 Extremis drivers dedicated to bass/midbass sends some impressive vibrations through the house.  I really can't imagine what the 8 Extremis drivers of an Apex pair is like.

J North

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2005, 03:49 am »
WOW is right. Love what he did with the horizontal grain. Sure works well with that "Zebrano".

The bottom picture with the single WR125S can pass for quite an intriguing looking speaker on its own! Are these things reversable:)))))))

dave_c

Re: wow
« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2005, 06:06 am »
Quote from: kfr01
After living with the 2641's for a few weeks now, I cannot possibly imagine what kind of HUGE sound those would produce... 4 Extremis drivers dedicated to bass/midbass sends some impressive vibrations through the house.  I really can't imagine what the 8 Extremis drivers of an Apex pair is like.

I was thinking about that too.  His room must be pretty big.

Voodoo Rufus

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2005, 06:10 pm »
:notworthy:  :rock:

If only I could listen to a pair someday.....

Looks sweet.

klh

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2005, 08:04 pm »
They are absolutely beautiful. It's nice to see a finished pair!

trekker

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2005, 09:35 pm »
Love how the front panel is different than the rest of the cabinet.

I would love to hear what the owner has to say how they sound  :?:

RAW

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2005, 11:19 pm »
Thanks for the input to you all. :mrgreen:
This customer of ours is not someone who posts on line at all and I have posted his comments at the top in the first post.

He said when he gets time he will send a more detailed listening review.
And I will post that for him.
I have already changed his original post once as he wanted to correct a few errors he had.But the posted comments on the design are his direct email.No editing  :D

A statement speaker for sure.

Milehighguy

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2005, 06:35 pm »
Those are cool looking cabinets 8)

They seem to convey motion, like in cartoons when something is moving and they will put horizontal lines behind the moving object. The horizontal grain looks like the speakers are coming at you. Sort of like a sports car that looks like it's moving when it's standing still.

I wonder if this will inspire some DIY cabinet makers to experiment with horizontal grained veneers?

mumbles

APEX PICTURES
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2006, 09:27 pm »
Al
I would really like to see the Apex pictures in this post however the pictures are not opening for me. Any suggestions?

RAW

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2006, 10:02 pm »

These are Branko's speakers he did the cabinets while over seas on vacation and brought them back to CA on the plane. :!:

Below are the Walnut we just finished

Al Garay

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2006, 07:03 am »
Wow. I'm sure Kevin is thinking what I'm thinking, if only it had the Usher tweeter :)

The Walnut looks beautiful as well. Hope that customer posts a review.

RAW

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2006, 03:10 pm »
Al G.
Good to see your positive comments to our products as normal :roll:
As I have said before why would we use a tweeter that has such issues with dispersion and distortion as the Usher!

For those reading this for a first time.
The tested graphs are tests done by someone else not us and they are the Usher 9950 along with the G2Si AC ribbon.

A very good test that as you can see with the comments of dispersion and distortion always brought up in topics with ribbons.You can see why we pick the ribbons over a 1" dome like the 9950.

The off axis is very dramatic upper roll off with the Usher and the G2Si does not.

And we have not compaired our ribbon to the Usher :mrgreen:

Back to the Apex II using a ribbon !
We will stay with our ribbon.

tdangelo

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2006, 02:43 am »
Quote from: Al Garay
Wow. I'm sure Kevin is thinking what I'm thinking, if only it had the Usher tweeter :)

The Walnut looks beautiful as well. Hope that customer posts a review.

I'll be posting a little review when the speakers/crossovers get fully broken in.  They are approaching about 50 hrs and Al recommends about 200 for the Sonicap's.  They are getting better sounding to my ears daily - smoother midrange and coherency.  

Tony D.

RAW

Apex speaker pictures
« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2006, 01:42 pm »

Tony good to hear things are going great with them Apex II.

Yes as for the cap break in with a large stack value as we use on the Apex II as well as the HT8 for the midrange as well as woofer network the stack of Sonicap is a very costly arrangment of measured caps to a value we use with a Platinum bypass cap topping of that stack of Caps.
This arrangments is not cheap and is the best we have found for the combination of drivers in the Apex II as well as the HT8.
The picture shows the stack as well the other caps are a standard Solen 100uf cap( LArge  black cap) same value then a electric cap(smallest cap).

Matching caps in the Apex II pure Sonicap and every vlaue cap features a platinum bypass cap.These platinum caps take up to 200hrs to get them broken in 100% ,this is our time frame we advise people to expect.

Look forward to that review Tony and enjoy them large head phones :mrgreen: