Raw HT3 first impressions

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2005, 01:33 pm »
As far as the pug goes....no PhotoShop there my friend. That is Piggy my audiophile best friend. As you can see he likes the Raw HT3  If he had thumbs he would stand next to the speakers and hold a beer like his idol Lonewolfny42. He is 35 lbs of solid muscle and has an 18" neck.
    .... :lol: ...but how tall is Piggy when he's sitting ?[/list:u]
      Send him over here, I'll teach him to hold a beer. :lol: [/list:u]
        Nice review Bryan, thanks !![/list:u]
          Chris[/list:u]

Bingenito

« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2005, 01:39 pm »
....  ...but how tall is Piggy when he's sitting ?
Send him over here, I'll teach him to hold a beer.  

Only about 18"...Maybe he can be the official bookshelf speaker ruler?   :lol:

On another note I have people coming by to hear some speakers tonight and Monday night. Hopefully they will post their impressions as well since mine could be considered biased going forward.

Gordy

« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2005, 02:41 pm »
Hmmmm, better be careful Bryan... The real Lonewolf doesn't post during the daylight hours, could be a scam of some sort :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 17 Sep 2005, 02:48 pm »
Quote from: Gordy
Hmmmm, better be careful Bryan... The real Lonewolf doesn't post during the daylight hours, could be a scam of some sort :lol:
Ha-ha.... :lol:
    It's only possible due to my vacation...which is almost over... :cry: [/list:u]

Bingenito

« Reply #24 on: 18 Sep 2005, 02:32 am »
Hmmmm, better be careful Bryan... The real Lonewolf doesn't post during the daylight hours, could be a scam of some sort

I hear you...Lonewolfny42 scams are becoming increasingly popular for some reason   :scratch: :lol:

A friend just came by that also owns a local audio business. We listened to all of his reference tracks and at least 15 of mine. Needless to say he was impressed by the sound coming from the Raw HT3. Hopefully he will post the details.

I will schedule a gathering so that people can come by and take a listen. If you are around the Charlotte, NC area and are interested in hearing the Raw HT3 shoot me a PM.

Thank you

Bryan

Grandpa Mike

RAW HT3 frist impressions
« Reply #25 on: 22 Sep 2005, 02:31 am »
This is my first posting.  I am giving my honest opinion of my listening experience.  Monday night I was listening to RAW HT3 speakers.  All the equipment driving the speakers were high-end.

The speaker set-up wasn't perfect due to Salks HT3 speaks being already set-up in the room.  I listened for over an hour.  The ribbon tweeters sounded great.  On and off axis response was good.  It sounded the same as you moved around the room.  Bass was very good, as was the midrange.  Detail was very good.  While my cd's sounded good, Bryan's cd's took the speakers to another level.  The better the recording you use the more you realize these are very good speakers.  The speakers are more forgiving on imperfect recordings.  All in all I enjoyed the speakers a lot.  Playing loud or low they sounded great. I liked the sound of the drivers so much that I am considering buying the apex.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #26 on: 22 Sep 2005, 02:45 am »
I look forward to hearing the speakers at RMAF.

Keep us posted if you hear or buy the Apex speakers.

George

Bingenito

« Reply #27 on: 22 Sep 2005, 10:14 am »
Grandpa Mike
This is my first posting. I am giving my honest opinion of my listening experience. Monday night I was listening to RAW HT3 speakers. All the equipment driving the speakers were high-end.

First welcome to Audio Circle :!:  

Thank you for coming by to hear the Raw HT3. It was great meeting you and chatting about speaker designs. Nice assessment...quick and to the point :wink:

Take care

Bryan

kenk

« Reply #28 on: 22 Sep 2005, 09:36 pm »
Hi Al,

One quick question as the HT3 looks very good, are there any upgrade options?  (ie sonic cap on xo etc).

Thanks,

Ken

Bingenito

« Reply #29 on: 22 Sep 2005, 11:45 pm »
One quick question as the HT3 looks very good, are there any upgrade options? (ie sonic cap on xo etc).

Ken,

I am not Al but I wanted to provide my 2 cents on the topic. On the Raw site you will see that the Ribbon comes with a bypass cap which is standard for the HT3. Solen Film and Foil bypass will be used going forward.

As for changing the actually caps in addition to bypass this would be fairly expensive because the cap values are large. Al can give you a guestimate on the actual cost.

My personal opinion only: Spending $300-$400 on a cap upgrade can-(maybe not) make sense when you are talking about a $4000+ speaker. On a $1300 speaker that could represent a 25-30% cost increase for a possible 2% improvement.

The Raw HT3 represents an amazing value as is and sounds terrific. I honestly would not change a thing.

Bryan

RAW

« Reply #30 on: 23 Sep 2005, 12:06 am »
Ken
The HT series comes with Film bypass on the tweeter networks standard also combined with Solen 400V caps.
As for a upgrade for the HT3 we do not offer them as the parts are really the best we could offer for the price even Bryan first asked about the caps.But once recieving a pair he since changed his outlook :mrgreen:
As well the values are not small values and the the cost to upgrade the tweeter network and mid network will be very close to $400.00 for Sonicap.

Are the upgrades needed we do not think so.
Not only for a price point but as well as performance we are getting with our selection of parts.

But someone always wants the caps as a upgrade option and we will not offer them as a standard option.

kenk

« Reply #31 on: 23 Sep 2005, 09:20 pm »
Hi Bryan and Al,

Thanks for your input, yeah $400 upgrade on $1,300 speakers does not make sense.  I like sonic caps (~$70 for both pair) as I did change some caps on my onix ref1 and the top end improves after the upgrade.  

Thanks,

Ken

RAW

« Reply #32 on: 23 Sep 2005, 11:15 pm »
Ken a single 100uf cap alone takes up a lot of cost.
We are looking down the road at options and I will make the info public about up grades in the following weeks :wink: