new 'bookshelf' speaker needs a name?

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Re: new 'bookshelf' speaker needs a name?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2011, 12:14 am »
Hi AudioFan KJ,the name (Thor)is already taken.It's a kit by Seas speaker company  designed  by Dr. Joseph D'Appolito.It looks like 2 8 inch woofers with the tweeter in the middle and is 45 1/2 inches high,looking again they might be 6 1/2 inch woofers.It's a transmission line thats tapered and filled with Dacron.They also have a speaker kit called the Odin,Froy and Loki.Go to Madisound on Google and you can see them in the on line catalog..........take care...Mark Korda

dodgealum

« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2011, 01:07 am »
Since this speaker would seem to be of the same family (i.e. likely to be paired with) the DA series how about something like the DA-1.1RM (as in "rear [channel] monitor" or "reference monitor"). Or you could let Michael name them since he created the problem to begin with!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2011, 06:26 am »
well it looks like everybody and their brother has used Muse even a line of speakers out there... so that one's dead.  I really would like to stay with the Greek mythology, actually have another model also coming out and the working name on that is Athena.

continuing the DA-1 series gets confusing, I think I've tapped that one out.

I could strech to Roman mythology if needed  :icon_lol: 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2011, 06:41 am »
Penelope, wife of mighty Ulysses. Give the big fella some support.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2011, 05:12 pm »
If Icarus doesn't work, how about one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hecate

guest1632

« Reply #25 on: 26 Feb 2011, 12:37 am »
I'm finishing up the first set of a new model here and am pretty excited about this.  like any new baby it needs a name, so I'm open to suggestions....
the details:

it's a three way based on one of my pro monitors, using the Daedalus 8", a custom built 5" and the Eton tweeter which I use in other audio systems. the crossover is  voiced for a slightly more 'British' sound, a little extra body.
solid wood with BB ply baffle & rear, mirror image pair with 12 deg. angle on the front.  cabinet size is 25.5" X 11" x12.75" with a front port, so it can be used as a rear speaker or even on a .... bookshelf    :wink:
btw the impetus for this has been building a complete Daedalus 5.2 system for a customer!

Hi, Ok, why the British sound, why not make it have no sound of its own? Any idea of price?

Now the name, Pan. By the way, I think Athena is already used by another speaker company. Sounds familiar somewhere.

Ray Bronk

Phil A

« Reply #27 on: 26 Feb 2011, 01:11 am »
I guess that's why I suggested Icarus at the beginning.  The definition is perfect and I figured the name probably isn't taken.  You're correct in that you don't want to pick a name of something that's out there already as some can get silly with lawsuits.  Bose sued Thiel for naming a model 2.2 years back and Thiel changed it to 22.  I find it amusing that some companies are that naive to think that some other company is trying to profit from their reputation vs. anyone would reasonable audio knowledge knows what the real story is about.

bregez

« Reply #28 on: 26 Feb 2011, 01:48 am »
I guess that's why I suggested Icarus at the beginning.  The definition is perfect and I figured the name probably isn't taken.  You're correct in that you don't want to pick a name of something that's out there already as some can get silly with lawsuits. 
A classic example of this when Subway (the sandwich place) threatened lawsuits on other sandwich places that use the term "footlong".  Give me a break, as if they are the first people to coin the phrase.  These lawsuits are getting out of hand. 
Back to audio, I like the name Icarus also.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2011, 01:01 am »
Hi, Ok, why the British sound, why not make it have no sound of its own? Any idea of price?

well I said "slightly more British sound". all speakers have a 'sound' to some degree. like all our speakers these will very much be neutral and transparent.  the crossover is a bit different from my other current home systems, in some ways similar to the original DA-1 but with much better execution.  these will be almost all poly caps in the crossover and the cost between $3200- $3600 pair with  grills.

Icarus does seem to be getting many votes....  Pan is a good one also!

thanks much for the ideas!

lou

Phil A

« Reply #30 on: 27 Feb 2011, 02:55 am »
well I said "slightly more British sound". all speakers have a 'sound' to some degree. like all our speakers these will very much be neutral and transparent.  the crossover is a bit different from my other current home systems, in some ways similar to the original DA-1 but with much better execution.  these will be almost all poly caps in the crossover and the cost between $3200- $3600 pair with  grills.

Icarus does seem to be getting many votes....  Pan is a good one also!

thanks much for the ideas!

lou

And I guess the winner of the naming contest gets the first pair for free :lol:

Seriously, good luck with it.  Of late, I am liking monitors more and more. 

stereodad

« Reply #31 on: 9 Mar 2011, 04:11 am »
Looking forward to pictures when the speakers complete.

Larry

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #32 on: 10 Mar 2011, 01:21 am »
Congrats on the new speaker Lou. Any pictures? Specs? Or did I miss something.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 10 Mar 2011, 07:26 pm »
Congrats on the new speaker Lou. Any pictures? Specs? Or did I miss something.

pics will be up in a week or so.
 basic specs are 3-way, 95db, can handle high power but very stable 8ohm load so will work very well with SET. XO is almost all poly, so very fast. higher hand-off between the 8" and 5" than my other systems (similar to the original DA-1) so it will have very nice body in the vocal range, very forgiving and should mate well with mid-priced source and amps etc.
25.5"h X 11" w X 13"deep  with 12.5degree compound angle at the front. also front vent so it can be wall mounted as a rear speaker etc.
thanks,
lou

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 10 Mar 2011, 07:27 pm »
at this point it looks like Pan wins out as the name.
thanks for all the input!
lou

kbuzz3

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jun 2012, 04:57 pm »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.  Have these bookshelf models made it to the website?  I took a look and only see a larger pair...unless im just getting old and had too much wine before i checked.  Put in another of the small room maybe harbeth camp....

bummrush

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jun 2012, 06:39 pm »
  The Stout

R_burke

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jun 2012, 09:52 pm »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.  Have these bookshelf models made it to the website?  I took a look and only see a larger pair...unless im just getting old and had too much wine before i checked.  Put in another of the small room maybe harbeth camp....

Your not the only one who's getting old, I couldn't find anything either and when I saw this thread resurrected I got my hopes up.  Maybe some day...

nature boy

« Reply #38 on: 16 Jun 2012, 09:18 pm »
How about something simply like the "daedey",  or "daedey baby". 

NB

audiogoober

« Reply #39 on: 21 Jun 2012, 06:33 pm »
I'm also very interested in getting any info on these bookshelf's... if they exist.