RAAL tweeter

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
RAAL tweeter
« on: 1 Jan 2011, 05:31 pm »
I saw a message in one of the threads where the question of HT3s came up about them not having a RAAL tweeter? Is this true? The specs on the website indicates that they do? Confused?

Cheers
David

Big Red Machine

Re: RAAL tweeter
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2011, 06:05 pm »
If you want a RAAL I am sure Jim will do it for you.  My guess is no one has requested one in an HT3 as yet so he hasn't requested Dennis to develop the xover.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2011, 06:29 pm »
If you want a RAAL I am sure Jim will do it for you.  My guess is no one has requested one in an HT3 as yet so he hasn't requested Dennis to develop the xover.

That's my understanding as well.  I certainly haven't been asked to do one so far.  But as soon as someone orders one, I'm sure I'll get an e-mail from Jim. 

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2011, 07:40 pm »
BRM and Dennis
thanks for the responses. I wonder why no one has requested one? They seem to be the hot tweeter. I listened to some new B&W 802 diamonds and the tweeter was really harsh.... don't think they are worth the money at $16 K.

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2011, 08:05 pm »
I'll be honest and say that the HT2-TL's with the raal sound every bit as good as the HT3's (when including price in the decision making process), so my guess is people are ordering those instead of the HT3's.  I don't mean to take sales away from the HT3's, I just think Jim, Dennis and team hit one out of the park with the HT2-TL raal, even though the HT3's have the slight upper hand.  Ymmv.

For what it's worth, I like the B&W 802Ds, but they are certainly overpriced in my opinion.  I'd take the SoundScape 10s over them any day, and at a cheaper price too.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2011, 05:32 pm by Nuance »

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2011, 11:24 pm »
I'll be honest and say that the HT2-TL's with the raal sound every bit as good as the HT3's, so my guess is people are ordering those instead of the HT3's.  I don't mean to take sales away from the HT3's, I just think Jim, Dennis and team hit one out of the park with the HT2-TL raal.  Ymmv.

For what it's worth, I like the B&W 802Ds, but they are certainly overpriced in my opinion.  I'd take the SoundScape 10s over them any day, and at a cheaper price too.

Just curious did you hear all the above speakers in your system, or at least driven by the same equipment in the same room?  Have you actually listened to all of these speakers?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2011, 11:34 pm »
Nuance, I wouldn't reply if you are only being allowed a one word answer!

Steve

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:12 am »

Steve

Not the best advise you've ever given Steve, but it's probably not your worse either.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

srb

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:27 am »

Not the best advise you've ever given Steve, but it's probably not your worse either.  :lol: 

The words are advice and worst.  And some advice for you .... step off.  :lol:

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:43 am »

Steve

I never said allowed I just said for my purposes one would suffice. :scratch:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:53 am »

The words are advice and worst.  And some advice for you .... step off.  :lol:

And let you be the only buttinsky? I think not!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:21 am »
Now I remember you, Bill...  Last time we disagreed you sent me a harassing pm. I'd like to avoid that kind of behavior this time.

Would I have made the post I did if I hadn't heard the speakers in question? The answer to that is no, of course. :-)

I have heard almost all of Salk's offerings. Many on this forum can attest to that. I didn't realize you owned HT3s and meant no offense. You seem upset by what I said, hence your tone.  Well, take it easy, Bill; no one is insulting your system. 

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:24 am »

Cheers,
Robin
Robin to the rescue, again! :)  You and Bill must be "close." :) :lol: :P

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:45 am »
Robin to the rescue, again! :)  You and Bill must be "close." :) :lol: :P

That's funny, I was thinking the same thoughts about you and srb.  :lol:  It's a small world.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:47 am »
This is getting confusing.  But back to the HT3--the HT2TL does give the HT3 a run for the money in the bass department, but I think the two speakers sound noticeably different.  The midrange on the HT3 is fuller.  But I would agree the difference in quality may not be as great as the difference in price.  That's just a matter of the HT3's cabinet--it's harder to build. What I think would be cool is an HT3 with Jeff Bagby's passive radiator loading.  And the RAAL tweet, of course.  I think that would make it a more attractive option in the price break between the HT2 and SS10.  But I don't know how difficult that would be to do in the HT3's cabinet. 

jbtrio

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2011, 04:09 am »
I wouldn't agree with that statement, Nuance. At higher volume the midrange in the Ht-3's should sound cleaner, because it doesn't have to do bass duties like the HT-2 TL's, IMHO. Disclaimer, I have HT-3's but using the SEAS just for the midrange should have less distortion.

Joe

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:34 pm »
Just a quick response...

The HT3's will be available with the RAAL tweeter.  We already list it that way on the site, although we have not delivered any with the RAAL tweeter as of yet.  All orders placed from this point forward will have the RAAL (unless customers request otherwise).

As for Dennis' idea of using Jeff Bagby's radiator version of the woofer section, it is considerably deeper than the current HT3 woofer section.  So building it this way would require changing to a two-piece design and it would end up costing only slightly less than the SoundScapes.  I'm not sure people would opt for the HT3's under this scenario since the SoundScapes would only cost a bit more.  But we are certainly open to doing it.

- Jim

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2011, 05:04 pm »
Jim,

Is there any benefit or drawback to internally isolating the midrange from the woofer in the HT3, and separately porting the mid also out the back?

Just a quick response...

The HT3's will be available with the RAAL tweeter.  We already list it that way on the site, although we have not delivered any with the RAAL tweeter as of yet.  All orders placed from this point forward will have the RAAL (unless customers request otherwise).

As for Dennis' idea of using Jeff Bagby's radiator version of the woofer section, it is considerably deeper than the current HT3 woofer section.  So building it this way would require changing to a two-piece design and it would end up costing only slightly less than the SoundScapes.  I'm not sure people would opt for the HT3's under this scenario since the SoundScapes would only cost a bit more.  But we are certainly open to doing it.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2011, 05:29 pm »

That's funny, I was thinking the same thoughts about you and srb.  :lol:  It's a small world.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

LOL, touche.  Although, I don't know him very well.  I don't know most of you well, actually.  I do know that you have a great sense of humor, though, Robin.  You're a fun dude.

I wouldn't agree with that statement, Nuance. At higher volume the midrange in the Ht-3's should sound cleaner, because it doesn't have to do bass duties like the HT-2 TL's, IMHO. Disclaimer, I have HT-3's but using the SEAS just for the midrange should have less distortion.

Joe

Oh I agree.  I honestly did think the HT3's were a bit better, but when you factor in cost the HT2-TL's become equal, at least to me.  I should have really clarified that the HT3's do have an overall better sounding midrange and bass response, but the difference is subtle (midrange).  Now, throw in the RAAL tweeter on the HT2-TL's (the 3's don't have it yet), and you're comparing apples to apples again from 100Hz and up.  Considering the price differenc, I'd take the HT2-TL's; that's really all I meant.  Sorry for the confusion gents.

I modified my original post, fellas. 

jsalk

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2011, 07:13 pm »
Jim,

Is there any benefit or drawback to internally isolating the midrange from the woofer in the HT3, and separately porting the mid also out the back?

Actually, the woofer and midrange in the HT3's are internally isolated.  The midrange is in a sealed section and the woofer is in another ported section.  There is no need for a port on the midrange since it is only doing midrange duty and the driver naturally rolls off under those frequencies in a sealed cabinet.

- Jim