Salk speakers, poorly recorded music, and listening habits...

chargedmr2

Hey guys and gals,

As Salk owners are well aware, an amazing benefit of Salk speakers is their ability to accurately reveal every little detail of the recordings that we feed them.  This is obviously pretty rewarding when high quality recordings are on the music menu.  On the other hand, poorly engineered recordings sound just as they should--poorly engineered. 

When I run across a song or album that I really liked prior to owning my STs, only to discover that it's no longer tolerable, I generally discard it from my playlist of "Salk friendly" music.  Overall, this has been a good thing, since I've chased down all sorts of new, high quality recordings (many suggested right here in the Salk forums).  The not-so-great to poor quality recordings have been relegated to either my iPod or the car. 

And I guess this is what I'm curious about: Do you guys just stop listening to poorly recorded music (unfortunately some really good music is not well recorded), or have you found a way to revive it via EQ...or just listen to it on less accurate speakers?

saeyedoc

In anticipation of my recently ordered SCST's I've got a 2TB drive filled with Flac and other hi-rez formats on the way.
Listening right now to a multi-channel SACD of Dark Side of the Moon that came today, can't wait to hear it on the new speakers.
Sounds like you might be headed in a similar direction.

TJHUB

I actually feel that the Salk's are revealing to what YOUR gear is doing to the music.  I experiment a lot with audio; cables, DAC's, tubes, room treatments, sources, power supplies, you name it.  I have not changed my preamp, amps, or Salk speakers (HT2-TL's) for over 2 years now (the Salk's are over 3 years old).  I have been able to COMPLETELY change the sound many times; some for the good, many for the bad, and most just a long series of trade-offs.  However, having a revealing system does not have to mean "poor" recordings have to cycle out of the rotation.

There is no doubt that many recordings are substandard.  I personally do not want a system that makes the great stuff great, and the poor stuff intolerable.  I want the great stuff to be great, and the rest to sound good.  It took me a very long time, but I'm there.  I have some things that still sound bad enough to throw out, but I think just about everything sounds darn good, and the great stuff will bring a tear to your eye. 

People dismiss the synergy that all of the things I listed above can bring to a setup.  The right source, DAC, cables, and room treatments can really bring things together.  I say if you have a lot of "poor" recordings, you are likely hearing an issue with your setup that needs work.  I can't help you as I don't feel qualified to try.  I have easily spent thousands of hours learning by trial and error, most error.  I have found great sound, only to lose it by changing something.  I have gone months without being happy.  I have recently gone in a great direction by dumb chance, and I'm going to stop where I am before I muck things up again.  Truly great sound is NOT easy to achieve.  It takes a tremendous amount of work.  A lot depends upon what you're looking for, how much effort you're willing to put in, and of course how much money you want to spend to get there. 

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
  Well said!

I've found that bad recordings improve in staging/imaging as my system improves.  I can hear the distortion, but it isn't as irritating as the system smooths out overall.

.....Peter

chargedmr2

TJHUB,

Thanks for the insight and for the hope that some of my recordings may sound much better down the road.  I'm pretty much at the beginning of my audio journey, and it's obviously a far cry from where you're at.  I hope to upgrade my electronics as budget allows, but it will be a while until I can do that.  In the mean time, I may be able to slip some 703 panels past my wife, but we'll see how that goes.  :icon_lol:

TJHUB

TJHUB,

Thanks for the insight and for the hope that some of my recordings may sound much better down the road.  I'm pretty much at the beginning of my audio journey, and it's obviously a far cry from where you're at.  I hope to upgrade my electronics as budget allows, but it will be a while until I can do that.  In the mean time, I may be able to slip some 703 panels past my wife, but we'll see how that goes.  :icon_lol:

Again, I don't want to get into this in any detail because every room/system reacts differently, but starting with room treatments is a great place.  I've had my room treatments up for a long time.  They changed the sound of the room, but really not all that much.  I just felt like I could play the music louder without it sounding "messy."

After over a year of talking about it with my friends, I finally rearranged my acoustic panels about a month ago.  First, I was absolutely floored by how the room sounded while just talking to my son when all of the panels were down.  I couldn't believe I used to listen to music in an untreated room!  But the rearrangement proved to be far more than I ever expected.  Everything changed.  It was like listening to a different setup, and all I changed was the panel arrangement.  There were no more panels in the room, and no less, just a rearrangement. 

Some things were better, somethings were not.  Since that day, I've added some additional panels in what turned out to be the perfect spots, and things just seemed to improve all the way around.  I've been living in the land of trade-offs for so long, I always feel like any changes just aren't worth it because while something things improve, others get worse.  You just can't win.  But the acoustic panel rearrangement I did was ALL for the positive.  Since that day, I seem to have made more progress in the right direction than ever before.  It's obvious that I was trying to "fix" things with the wrong changes. 

Spend some time on those panels.  The rewards can be incredible. 

Look in my gallery later tonight.  I'll upload some pics I took during the changes.  I didn't take any final pics yet as I'm still missing a couple of panels I need. 

Big Red Machine

I love Van Halen but I don't listen to them on my Salk's.

I go for higher rez whenever I can because, like some of my compadres above have said, if you continue to improve your system, the Salk's will deliver.

When I recently had the HT2TL's I pretty much reached their limits without breaking the bank.  I did this on purpose because I was planning for SoundScapes and knew they would be a serious step up.  I feel everything (was) in the system is primo except perhaps for the dac.  But now with Raals and the SSes just about everything is decent.  But if given a choice between high resolution and Van Halen, Eddie and the boys take 5 cuz it's a whole more fun maximizing the level of play.

chargedmr2

TJHUB,

I'll keep an eye on your gallery--I've had a look at what is there now and it looks really nice.  What did you do differently?  Did you go after all of the first reflection points or more than that?  I guess I'll just wait and see when you post pics.

BRM,

I've seen your system info on here and it looks like you're well past my dream system at this point.  As far as high quality recordings, I'm with you for now.  Some of my favorite albums have taken a back seat to those that I both like and sound amazing. 

Gzerro

Agree 100% With TJHUB on the associated gear.

Alot of music was unlistenable with just my Denon 4311 AVR. Adding a Parasound A52 amp made a big improvement with many (not all) recordings. I was pretty shocked by this as generally I have bought into the "all well-designed amps sound pretty much the same" philosophy. Or it could just be sight bias...ymmv.

Also, for anything recorded before about 1990 Vinyl is working much better for me at the moment.

guf

What I'm going to say is slightly off base but, a great song or great music is going to be great wether listening through a walkman and xl2-s, or listening through 20 thousand dollar system. If the room is treated or not. Properly arranged sounds (music) will sound good from a rock band, a 3 piece jazz band, or an orchestra. Again not exactly on topic, but just a little note to not give up on your music thats maybe not recorded as well. I come from a music back ground of bootleg recorded live shows. I REALLY notice things now with my HT2-tls. The well recorded ones sound incredible.

on topic: Just yesterday I put up my first "room treatment". A flor 2x2 carpet tile on the wall to deal with a little reflection and I am amazed that a half ass attempt has provided results. I'm obsessively trying to obtain knowledge about room treatments because ALL the experienced people on all the forums strongly suggest it.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
it's hard to overcome some brickwalled cds and many early 80s mastered discs
modern vinyl isn't mastered that severely

a fine balance of synergy in the system is key
a slightly bright cable can be eccentuated with a bad recording
tube pre amps or amps tend to help calm things down

I find tube equipment in general more musical

wyowolf

I have noticed poorer recordings where before I got my Salks I did not...

Any tips on basic room treatments or where to begin would be appriciated

Gzerro

This could be its own thread (or own forum for that matter).

The number one thing I would suggest is to understand your room, and that means measurements.

I would recommend starting by downloading REW (Room EQ Wizard) here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

Assuming you have a cheap laptop or can find one, all you need is an inexpensive soundcard and a calibrated mic (I got mine here http://www.cross-spectrum.com/ ).

There is a good forum on Hometheatershack as well for tips and tricks.

Also, if you are patient enough to make it through a pretty dry read, here is a great book on room accoustics:

http://www.amazon.com/Floyd-Toole/e/B001JS2MQ2

TIP (The last chapter is a great summary - I would recommend to start there first and then the sections on bass management)

Good luck!

wyowolf

wow, thanks! that should keep me busy for awhile...

Frank

This could be its own thread (or own forum for that matter).

The number one thing I would suggest is to understand your room, and that means measurements.

I would recommend starting by downloading REW (Room EQ Wizard) here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

Assuming you have a cheap laptop or can find one, all you need is an inexpensive soundcard and a calibrated mic (I got mine here http://www.cross-spectrum.com/ ).

There is a good forum on Hometheatershack as well for tips and tricks.

Also, if you are patient enough to make it through a pretty dry read, here is a great book on room accoustics:

http://www.amazon.com/Floyd-Toole/e/B001JS2MQ2

TIP (The last chapter is a great summary - I would recommend to start there first and then the sections on bass management)

Good luck!

PMAT

Hi Guys. Don't forget that picking up a different version of the same album can get you back to good sound. Some "remastered" versions are too bright. Ive got a Pink Floyd CD that is HARSH. I also have one that sounds right. I love having a vinyl rig to find older recordings. 2 cents

chargedmr2

Hi Guys. Don't forget that picking up a different version of the same album can get you back to good sound. Some "remastered" versions are too bright. Ive got a Pink Floyd CD that is HARSH. I also have one that sounds right. I love having a vinyl rig to find older recordings. 2 cents

That's definitely good advice.  "Remastered" doesn't always seem to produce better sounding music.  And it's the overly harsh, bright, and thin sounding recordings that are hard for me to listen to at this point. 

chargedmr2

To add to Gzerro's comments above, there is also an acoustics circle in the forums here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=73.0

I've found the info there useful for planning what I would like to do in my room at some point.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room

Start with the room (the other/bigger speaker enclosure), then treatments, then EQ.  Most equipment and many speakers over-match the room (audiophiles are gearheads after all).

My "sub-par" recordings go to the 2nd system and/or the car.

wyowolf

not sure what you mean by "start with the room, then treatments"?

chargedmr2

not sure what you mean by "start with the room, then treatments"?

I think JLM is pointing out that the room itself matters (i.e., volume, shape, and probably other factors).