The All New Derecho

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
The All New Derecho
« on: 26 Apr 2014, 03:48 pm »
It looks like some of the pictures of the new Derecho already leaked here are some of the early pictures of our room.  I saw a comment "they look like the Cirrus on steroids" which is sort of what we going for a full bandwidth speaker that has the same acoustic and cosmetic influence as the Cirrus in a floor standing package.  Come by and see us in room 432 with purity audio and Lampizator.

Speakers start at $7,595 and the basic are up on the website we will be revising some of the details over the coming days.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: The All New Derecho
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2014, 03:56 pm »
A few more pictures:

I will be uploading a video soon for those of you who couldn't make it to the show.

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2014, 04:04 pm »
Those look amazing! Wish I could hear them, bet they sound sweet. Whose wires do you use?

Brucemck

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2014, 07:05 pm »
Those look great! Looking forward to hearing attendees impressions.

What's the caged device with tubes to the left of the rack (from the front)?  What power conditioning are you using?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2014, 07:12 pm »
Those look great! Looking forward to hearing attendees impressions.

What's the caged device with tubes to the left of the rack (from the front)?  What power conditioning are you using?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120498.0

ttan98

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2014, 12:25 am »
Hi,

Very good looking speakers and I am sure they sound very good indeed and most importantly the price is very attractive.

Is there a way to find out what mid-range you are using or is it proprietary to Vapor?

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2014, 12:40 am »
I watched some of enjoythemusic live report today and the commentator said he was surprised how good the Vapor room sounded with such a quick set-up that Vapor had to make.

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2014, 01:12 am »
Hi,

It must be difficult to build the cabinets because of their shape.  Good luck with your new design.

Regards Rod

bigbang

« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2014, 03:28 pm »
I only had a quick listen from off to one side, but they were my favorite of what I heard at the show.   :thumb:

wisnon

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2014, 07:35 pm »
I watched some of enjoythemusic live report today and the commentator said he was surprised how good the Vapor room sounded with such a quick set-up that Vapor had to make.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/vapor-audio-purity-lampizator

jhm731

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2014, 07:55 pm »
Comments about the room at the end of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrmbTDbvHPA&list=UU8mwfiB_0vQtdPPbBJv0EMQ

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2014, 08:32 pm »
Hi,

It must be difficult to build the cabinets because of their shape.  Good luck with your new design.

Regards Rod

Not trying to belittle the beautiful work, but you'd be surprised how CNC machining makes shapes like this quite simple.......well, FAR simpler than trying to do something like this entirely by hand anyway. The finishing work is likely the real time consuming part, as with most things artisan made.

srb

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2014, 09:46 pm »
Not trying to belittle the beautiful work, but you'd be surprised how CNC machining makes shapes like this quite simple.......well, FAR simpler than trying to do something like this entirely by hand anyway. The finishing work is likely the real time consuming part, as with most things artisan made.

Exactly.  To start with, plywood can't be machined to as close tolerances as metal.  Then, even with guide holes for assembly rods to align the stacked layers, there are many hours of hand sanding to get a really smooth finish, with half of it being the difficult to sand end grain of alternating plywood layers.

I really like the look.  I know Magico converted to all aluminum enclosures but they just don't have the organic beauty of their previous stacked ply enclosures.

Steve

stlrman

« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2014, 12:13 am »
At 21:32 on the YouTube

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 1 May 2014, 12:20 am »
Exactly!  Something like this is simply done on a CNC router.  As long as there are proper fixtures, it's fairly easy to assemble.  It all comes down to fixtures.  Whether metal, wood or composite. 

goskers

« Reply #15 on: 1 May 2014, 12:53 am »
Exactly!  Something like this is simply done on a CNC router.  As long as there are proper fixtures, it's fairly easy to assemble.  It all comes down to fixtures.  Whether metal, wood or composite.

Or built in fixturing such as locating rods for stacked assemblies or slot and tab for other items.

Keep in mind that a major drawback to stacked assembles is that you tend to get poor material utilization.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 1 May 2014, 12:58 am »
Or built in fixturing such as locating rods for stacked assemblies or slot and tab for other items.

Keep in mind that a major drawback to stacked assembles is that you tend to get poor material utilization.
Sure.  Still ficxtures.   :P

Of course you do but if that's the look or design criteria, it is what it is.  5 axis router is another option, albeit an expensive one but an option.   ;)

goskers

« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2014, 01:27 am »
Sure.  Still ficxtures.   :P

Of course you do but if that's the look or design criteria, it is what it is.  5 axis router is another option, albeit an expensive one but an option.   ;)

I just consider that wise design when permissible based on look and tolerancing requirements.  Those two factors usually eliminate tooling designed into the assembly.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2014, 05:45 am »
All assembly of those CNC cut slices is done by hand . . . no fixtures.  Keeping it straight is the only challenge. 

Lots and lots of sanding is right, and then you have to wait a while to make sure the entire cabinet is stable.  To get that bare ply finish takes basically a perfect cabinet with no faults in the ply layers.  Faults are easily repaired and covered with veneer, but bare ply don't lie.

We've got a bamboo ply assembly on the horizon.  That could be really cool.

About the weekend . . . I was amazed at what 18W could do.  Those purity SETs were very nice and the whole setup was extremely quiet during spaces between tracks.

Thanks to those who mentioned us as among their favorites.  It was a typical frantic pace to get them ready for the show.  I'm still recovering from the sprint!!!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 1 May 2014, 11:22 am »
Keeping it straight is the only challenge. 
Hence the reason why one would use fixtures.   ;)