Thank you Danny: for the Carnegie CST-1's and upgrade, I'm wowed

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
Thanks mlundy57, and Sonicjoy,
It looks like higher quality amplification will be my next adventure.

I can speak from experience that Frank VanAlstine's (www.avahifi.com) stuff is definitely worth a listen. It was my first step into the high-end world of hifi, and I doubt that my future upgrades will be anything but Frank's stuff. I started out with one of his used preamps, an old Dynaco conversion - probably 10 years old or so when I got it, and the difference in sound was HUGE even when run through an old cheapo big box receiver. I kept gradually upgrading as I could afford. I've always been - at the very least - very impressed in the improvement in sound quality/accuracy at each stage in the process. I've been eager to try some GR-Research speakers with Frank's stuff. My first venture in that direction may be the CST-1s with upgrades.

lincolnmat

Unless you already ordered them, or can find someone willing to sell a used pair, you will have to start somewhere else. Danny has already sold out all the CST-1s he had left.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
Unless you already ordered them, or can find someone willing to sell a used pair, you will have to start somewhere else. Danny has already sold out all the CST-1s he had left.

Oops.. Ya snooze ya lose..

AverageNiceGuy

Oops.. Ya snooze ya lose..

Thanks for the information guys.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
If ya have the skills (and parts) it shouldn't be to difficult to build your own. But without the proper BG Neo3 PDR with deep cups, its a pretty moot point.
The closest you can get currently would be building a floor standing version using the X-LS encore tweeter and 2 woofers in an MTM setup and building the slant into the cabinet plans.

AverageNiceGuy

If ya have the skills (and parts) it shouldn't be to difficult to build your own. But without the proper BG Neo3 PDR with deep cups, its a pretty moot point.
The closest you can get currently would be building a floor standing version using the X-LS encore tweeter and 2 woofers in an MTM setup and building the slant into the cabinet plans.
Yep, I'm getting increasingly happy with these CST-1s!
Now I need to explain to my wife to stop pushing them against the wall! :-)

lincolnmat

The N-3 design is basically the same without the slant. The only thing currently missing is the Neo3 with deep back cup. I saw some for sale recently, but at this point are they real BG or copies from who knows where.

I have wondered if it would be possible for someone with a 3D printer to make the deep back cups and put them with Danny's new Neo3s to bring some of these designs back. I'm sure there would be some tweaking to the crossovers required though. That would seem to be the least cost way rather than finding someone with the ability to make new molds for the cups without any knowledge of how big a market it would be.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Yeah, that's exactly the model I was thinking of,
But the slant design isn't difficult to overcome if you have a solid table saw.

I've asked the same question too, I'd imagine its possible, but the only way to know for sure would be to print the cup, and measure the response.

AverageNiceGuy

Yeah, that's exactly the model I was thinking of,
But the slant design isn't difficult to overcome if you have a solid table saw.

I've asked the same question too, I'd imagine its possible, but the only way to know for sure would be to print the cup, and measure the response.
That's interesting  8)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
I guess we need to have someone here 3D print a pair of cups ship them to Danny & see what he thinks!   :P

Danny Richie

I have wondered if it would be possible for someone with a 3D printer to make the deep back cups and put them with Danny's new Neo3s to bring some of these designs back. I'm sure there would be some tweaking to the crossovers required though. That would seem to be the least cost way rather than finding someone with the ability to make new molds for the cups without any knowledge of how big a market it would be.

I'd need front face plates as well.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
I'd need front face plates as well.
Good point! Tho I'd imagine 3D printing would at least be a good place to start when it comes to prototyping, with the final models being made from stamped/milled metal.

What about possible also making waveguides for the OB versions to eliminate the need for premade front baffles?

AverageNiceGuy

Is anyone else still enjoying very much their Carnegie CST-1's / or GR Research N-3's?
I finally was able to get my wife to stop pushing them against the wall  :duh:
I am often amazed at how nice these sound.
I widened their positioning, and it's like a got new, better speakers again.  8)

These GR-Research upgraded Carnegie CST-1's are certainly the best speakers I've ever owned.
I am surprised how much better they are than my previous best speakers, SVS Ultra Bookshelves.

As compared to other really nice sounding speakers,
Am I thinking correctly, that to do better than these, I would need to move toward something the NX-Otica's? and Sub's?

Am I thinking correctly, that to do better, I would need to be spending $4,000 or more?

AverageNiceGuy

Is anyone else still enjoying very much their Carnegie CST-1's / or GR Research N-3's?
I widened their positioning, and it's like a got new, better speakers again.  8)

These GR-Research upgraded Carnegie CST-1's are certainly the best speakers I've ever owned.
I am surprised how much better they are than my previous best speakers, SVS Ultra Bookshelves.

I'm a little curious, as compared to other really nice sounding speakers,
Am I thinking correctly, that to do better than these, I would need to move toward something the NX-Otica's? and Sub's?

Am I thinking correctly, that to do better, I would need to be spending $4,000 or more?

AverageNiceGuy

Sorry about double post / quoting myself... clicked to many buttons.. :duh:

lincolnmat

As compared to other really nice sounding speakers,

I fully enjoyed the upgraded CST-1s for several months. A friend totally loved them too so when I had the chance to get some NX-Oticas he jumped at the chance to buy my CST-1s. He sold his Magneplanar 3.6 speakers and is very happy.

I am also very happy with the upgrade to the NX-Otica. Since they basically use the same tweeter, though in a different mounting, the sound is similar. The NX-Oticas have a much fuller lower end as you would expect from many more bass drivers. I am currently happy with the bass I am getting in my 12x18 room without subs. I might still go for them later, but I have room layout issues that make it hard to fit another big box. I still have my old REL sub for home theater use only.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I fully enjoyed the upgraded CST-1s for several months. A friend totally loved them too so when I had the chance to get some NX-Oticas he jumped at the chance to buy my CST-1s. He sold his Magneplanar 3.6 speakers and is very happy.

I am also very happy with the upgrade to the NX-Otica. Since they basically use the same tweeter, though in a different mounting, the sound is similar. The NX-Oticas have a much fuller lower end as you would expect from many more bass drivers. I am currently happy with the bass I am getting in my 12x18 room without subs. I might still go for them later, but I have room layout issues that make it hard to fit another big box. I still have my old REL sub for home theater use only.

Nice!  Yeah, IME the CST-1 with full upgrades gets you into the $10k retail performance space.  But the NX-Oticas?  That's in the above $30k range.  Congrats on the upgrade :)

AverageNiceGuy

Thanks for the responses guys.
 8)

lincolnmat

Nice!  Yeah, IME the CST-1 with full upgrades gets you into the $10k retail performance space.  But the NX-Oticas?  That's in the above $30k range.  Congrats on the upgrade :)

I had the chance to listen to a system last week with latest model Audio Research electronics (similar Reference level) driving older Vandersteen 5 speakers that originally sold for $30,000. I would say that system probably bested mine - but not by a significant amount. My whole system cost me about the price of the amp!

AverageNiceGuy

I'm liking the sound of these price / value comparisons.  8)