Broke out the old X-Statik's once again...

Chops

Re: Broke out the old X-Statik's once again...
« Reply #60 on: 13 Apr 2020, 08:06 am »
I still recommend the isoacoustics under the Statiks.  Your jaw will drop.

I did try them, right before I put the spikes on. My jaw did drop, just as soon as one of my cats went by the left one and mushed it. I didn't think I could still move that fast! It was far from falling over and wouldn't have, but it was wobbling quite a bit. Nearly scared the pooh out of me. I couldn't even enjoy what I was hearing due to the lawn maintenance crew across the street at the time.

Chops

« Reply #61 on: 13 Apr 2020, 08:37 am »
Speaking of jaw dropping...

I need all of you guys who have the MTM's, NX-Otica's and NX-Treme's do something for me.

If you stream via Qobuz (this particular album is only on Qobuz unfortunately), I want you to look up Kate Havnevik, click on her "You" album and go to track 11 (the last track) called "Tears In Rain". Play it at whatever volume you want and preferably with your eyes closed.

It's 4 AM and I'm playing it at an average volume of around 56 dB, with peaks up around 63 dB. There's a steel drum played by hands and what sounds like a ball bouncing on it that gets very deep and very wide sounding, something that sounds like a pan flute (very woody and wispy sounding), some weird saxophone sounding thing, very clean, very light, very delicate bells, a piano, and Kate's voice smack in the middle, about a foot above and behind the speakers.

The entire album is excellent, but I have replayed this last track probably a dozen times in a row now. It's sending chills down my spine every time! I even have goosebumps!

As I said, the bells are very quiet and delicate, but also very clear and airy. The steel drum, you can actually "feel" the flesh of their fingers tapping on the steel. Even when the ball or whatever is bouncing on the steel drum, it's very tactile. Kate's voice and that pan flute, it's almost as if you can lean forward, reach out and touch them. They seem to occupy the same space, with the steel drum just behind her.

Please, give it a listen and tell me what you hear and what you think.

Chops

« Reply #62 on: 16 Apr 2020, 07:04 am »
Saw this today and thought that maybe, just maybe, this thread might have sparked the idea for this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6zZuMNWt1Y

Danny Richie

« Reply #63 on: 16 Apr 2020, 02:20 pm »
It was certainly a nice reminder of what a great speaker these things are.

Plus, I have everything in stock and I can ship them as ordered unlike many other models that are waiting for inductors to arrive so that I can begin shipping them out again.

Now I can't get them out fast enough because so many pairs were ordered.

I am only here answering messages as I eat my breakfast. I won't be able to get back to AC until late tonight.

Chops

« Reply #64 on: 17 Apr 2020, 08:13 am »
These speakers were an absolute bargain at $799 (plus $300 freight) years ago when sold by AV123.

Now that these X-Statik's are being sold for a third of the price in kit form, they are STILL the best bang for the buck in the hifi world.

You know Danny, I have been contemplating whether or not to ask you about possible foil inductor upgrades for these as well, or if there's any real benefit over the stock high quality, large gauge air cores that they came with. Other than the one single poly cap and electrolytic in the woofer section, the inductors are the only things original left in the crossovers. Everything else is Sonic Caps and Mills resistors.

Jmitchell3

« Reply #65 on: 17 Apr 2020, 11:01 pm »
If I still had the OB5s I built, I would be replacing the tweeter with the open back Neo 3s, and whatever crossover parts would be needed. That would significantly upgrade the speakers, to electrostatic levels.

Rocket Ronny

Now this is interesting.....what about the xstatic box / woofer config with the otica mtm upper on the xstatic frame? I suppose the advantage here would be the sealed woofer section that might blend better with sealed sub than the ob lower nx-otica section?

EDIT: Meh. Probably silly. Go x-statik or go nx-otica or go home... Lol.

Jmitchell3

« Reply #66 on: 17 Apr 2020, 11:06 pm »
Going back to your reply to me  earlier, remember, the price of the Super 7's also included the  subs/amps so you need to add that to cost of the NX-Otic/NX-Treme s for an equal comparison.
I too have made numerous posts  with regards to the  difference between  the  NX series themselves, as well as  vs the S7's.

No,  the  MTM's do not have a high pass  to the  NQ's built in, if you want to  roll  them off, you need to  build an inline  filterwith a small value cap , value dependent upon your  main amps  inputimpedence.

We are about the only ones who have ever done multiple  ( and when I say multiople I mean  for a few weeks) comparisons between the  NX-MTM's and NX-Oticas (both combined with dual h-frames).  The last  time I  reported on  this topic was  near  the end of this thread:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=158550.0

I'll say it again, if you have the  room, go for the  full Otica's with either  duals, triple, or quads...   if not,  the  NX-MTm's   are a  very, very good  alternative.

We cold never  detect any trade off going from the  sub?MTm comvo to the  full  Otica / sub combo,  only improvements.   Yes,  in the   full  Otica,  the NQ's are high passed with a  large bundle of caps but, it is very transparent, not  noticable.   However,  the full Otica's   have the additional   woofers covering  from 200hz  and down and  that  does make  a  very noticable difference.

Worth mentioning,  we ID NOT  use  an inline cap   on the inputs of the main amp withthe MTM's,  doing so wouild definately  take  some of the   workload off  the  2  NQ's
jay

Jay,

Are you of the opinion that the full oticas could be successfully mated with one or more sealed servo subs if one doesnt have room for the full otica / ob sub combo?

Jeremy

Danny Richie

« Reply #67 on: 18 Apr 2020, 03:19 am »
These speakers were an absolute bargain at $799 (plus $300 freight) years ago when sold by AV123.

Now that these X-Statik's are being sold for a third of the price in kit form, they are STILL the best bang for the buck in the hifi world.

You know Danny, I have been contemplating whether or not to ask you about possible foil inductor upgrades for these as well, or if there's any real benefit over the stock high quality, large gauge air cores that they came with. Other than the one single poly cap and electrolytic in the woofer section, the inductors are the only things original left in the crossovers. Everything else is Sonic Caps and Mills resistors.

Going to the foil inductors will make a subtle but noticeable difference. Getting them mounted on that board though would be really tough.

A bigger upgrade would be the wire and tube connectors.

Danny Richie

« Reply #68 on: 18 Apr 2020, 03:20 am »
Now this is interesting.....what about the xstatic box / woofer config with the otica mtm upper on the xstatic frame? I suppose the advantage here would be the sealed woofer section that might blend better with sealed sub than the ob lower nx-otica section?

EDIT: Meh. Probably silly. Go x-statik or go nx-otica or go home... Lol.

The upper section of the NX-Otica is at 93db. The two lower M165/16's won't reach that level.

Chops

« Reply #69 on: 18 Apr 2020, 04:24 am »
Going to the foil inductors will make a subtle but noticeable difference. Getting them mounted on that board though would be really tough.

A bigger upgrade would be the wire and tube connectors.

Something that I think would be an even bigger upgrade, something that I am currently researching (extensively for the past few hours now), is room treatments. Been scouring through the GIK Acoustics site, looking at various panels, reading various articles, looking through various forums/threads.

The only thing I've done as far as any type of treatments is putting down this shaggy-ish area rug which worked wonders. It was a quite drastic improvement, cleaning up the overall sound in the room.

I know more can be done with proper gear, and from my research thus far tells me that I should use absorption/diffusive panels on the front wall behind the speakers since they are open baffle. So I have "saved" in the shopping cart (not buying anything yet) a pair of 24" x 48" x 4" Impressions Pro bass trap diffuser/absorbers. Then I have a set of four 242 acoustic panels in the narrow 12" x 48" x 3.625" size. Thinking that these would be good for the ceiling.

Of course, before I do anything, I'll post a thread over in the GIK forum, and also send GIK an email and/or fill out that online form of their's for room advise.

I just wanted to mention this here as well since I know a lot of you guys have implemented GIK or other products for taming your rooms with OB loudspeakers.

Jmitchell3

« Reply #70 on: 18 Apr 2020, 06:14 pm »
Something that I think would be an even bigger upgrade, something that I am currently researching (extensively for the past few hours now), is room treatments. Been scouring through the GIK Acoustics site, looking at various panels, reading various articles, looking through various forums/threads.

The only thing I've done as far as any type of treatments is putting down this shaggy-ish area rug which worked wonders. It was a quite drastic improvement, cleaning up the overall sound in the room.

I know more can be done with proper gear, and from my research thus far tells me that I should use absorption/diffusive panels on the front wall behind the speakers since they are open baffle. So I have "saved" in the shopping cart (not buying anything yet) a pair of 24" x 48" x 4" Impressions Pro bass trap diffuser/absorbers. Then I have a set of four 242 acoustic panels in the narrow 12" x 48" x 3.625" size. Thinking that these would be good for the ceiling.

Of course, before I do anything, I'll post a thread over in the GIK forum, and also send GIK an email and/or fill out that online form of their's for room advise.

I just wanted to mention this here as well since I know a lot of you guys have implemented GIK or other products for taming your rooms with OB loudspeakers.

If you like the diy route, you can pick up materials to build absorbers for less than $200. That would likely be enough material to build six 2”x48”x24” panels.

Thermal Alchemy

« Reply #71 on: 18 Apr 2020, 08:03 pm »
I’m new here. New record day introduced me to Danny Richie YouTube site what a great resource and education that was. I just ordered the X-Statiks kit I seemed to good to be true deal.  After looking at just the parts on the crossover adding them up for cost and never hearing about this speaker before my inner tech geek told me this was the time to jump. I guess this will be a big step up from my Fostek BK-20 back loaded Folded horn speaker I felt a couple years ago when I built my first Class A amp ( Amp Camp Amp) by Nelson Pass. Now that I’m building my 2ed Amp, Class A Alpha J Mono blocks It’s time to upgrade my speakers. After I made my impulse purchase to buy this X-Statik kit, then I did my research that finally let me hear. Looks like I made the right choice and all my questions and answers can be found here.
          Looks like I will be getting a pair oh Danny’s 12” servo subs next and that will force me to build another pair of Mono block amps With separate linear mono block power supplies. Never ending fun.  Thanks Danny Richie

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #72 on: 18 Apr 2020, 09:59 pm »
The servo subs already have their own amps with the servo circuit built in.

Chops

« Reply #73 on: 18 Apr 2020, 11:21 pm »
If you like the diy route, you can pick up materials to build absorbers for less than $200. That would likely be enough material to build six 2”x48”x24” panels.

This is true, and I have thought about it, but... I don't want to just absorb sound, I also what to diffuse it/scatter it. Not to mention I want them to also look presentable. Plus I don't want to under or over do it as far as the treatments are concerned. And after looking around, the prices aren't all that bad actually. A lot lower than I expected, so I don't mind paying a little bit (close to double of DIY) more to have professionally made treatments.

Chops

« Reply #74 on: 24 Apr 2020, 04:03 am »
Just a fun thing to mention...

I'm listening to an album I haven't played for quite some time, and I never heard it as good as I am now right now on these X-Statik's. Man! I never realized how good of a quality recording this is.

And the cool thing is, I saw them in concert twice with my best friend years back, so it brings back some great memories as well.

Ekim

« Reply #75 on: 25 Apr 2020, 09:29 pm »
Just getting my feet wet on this information.

I noticed the room you have the speakers in. I also understand that you need to have the x-statics away from the wall.
Do you have any issues with the speakers away from the wall? in other words are you cnstantly moving the x-statics out
of the way of foot traffic?

Mike:Ekim

Chops

« Reply #76 on: 26 Apr 2020, 12:09 am »

Do you have any issues with the speakers away from the wall? in other words are you cnstantly moving the x-statics out
of the way of foot traffic?

Hi Mike,

Yes, the X-Statik's should be a minimum of 3' away from the wall (rear of baffle to wall). I have mine right at 4', oddly enough that they just happened to end up at exactly 48" from the wall as that was all done simply by listening, tweaking, and listening some more. And no, they don't get moved. They're not in the way of foot traffic except for the lamp on the right as it has its switch on the cord (one of those foot switches). We just walk around the back of the speaker, between it and the sub, being mindful of the speaker cable back there of course. Simple as that.

Ekim

« Reply #77 on: 29 Apr 2020, 01:47 am »
Hi Chops

Thanks for the input.

ktks1

« Reply #78 on: 30 Apr 2020, 05:29 pm »
If I still had the OB5s I built, I would be replacing the tweeter with the open back Neo 3s, and whatever crossover parts would be needed. That would significantly upgrade the speakers, to electrostatic levels.

Rocket Ronny

Glad to see this, as I was wondering why no one ever thought of it.
I am saving up for X-Statik and X-Voce, but would love to have them with Neo 3s if they go well with the kit.

@Danny: How feasible are these? It'd be helpful if you can let us know the difference in costs for each of the kits?

-ktks

Captainhemo

« Reply #79 on: 30 Apr 2020, 06:28 pm »
It's not feasable at all. The OB tweeter needs to be rear mounted  on a thick baffle to  align it with the voice coil of the mid woofers for  proper forward/rearward time alignment.    See the NX series where we've mounted the OB GR Neo3 behind a  deep waveguide

jay