Anyone interested in Folsom Servo Amp Level 2 Mod PCBs?

DeeJayBump

With Tyson recently posting about his Servo Amp mods in the Super 7 thread, it rekindled [for me, hopefully for others as well] interest in the Folsom mods to Servo Amps that Early B, THROWBACK and maybe others have done as discussed here :

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145931

And since I'm interested in Folsom's Level 2 Mods for several pairs, I contacted him about them and a possible Group Buy of the necessary PCBs for those interested. Any GB would need a commitment of at least 10 pairs to occur. So, are there any other folks who are interested in a Group Buy for the necessary PCBs for these mods? If you are, please contact Folsom directly for details at [removing the spaces]  :

folsom.jeremyh @ gmail.com

so we can hopefully do a Group Buy. Thanks.

Folsom

Re: Anyone interested in Folsom Servo Amp Level 2 Mod PCBs?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2020, 06:17 pm »
4/10 commitments have been made.

The board is very big. It's nearly a sheet of paper, so it's pretty close to the amplifier. Here's a very basic unfinished image.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2020, 06:33 pm »
A couple of questions.  Does this simply replace the pre-existing boards in the amp?  Or does it need to be shoehorned in there on top of the existing boards?

Is the option to send the amps to you still open? 

Or, can we pay a little extra to have the boards populated/soldered before you send them to us?

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2020, 08:08 pm »
No it doesn't replace the board amps at all. The board amps actually appear to be well designed. But as with anything the power going in matters, A LOT. That's where these really benefit. You could screw up the sound very easily by trying to muck with the actual amplifier, but I don't see any reason to do it when it's been show that improved power is well appreciated on these.

Yes I can still mod them but if we're talking 1 or 2 is two different things. Without 10 pairs committed to the level 2 the price is quite high. If 10 pairs are committed it drops $500-600.

When I populate things I charge double on parts and assembly would be inexpensive for these. The issue is that you still have to perform the removal of the on board diodes and bridge where they were so that the new rectification and filtration system will work. Oh and you have to cut wires from transformer in half and heatshrink-solder (a new thing on market) to the new wires that have a connector on them. That's pretty easy, just minding orientation, but the diode part is interesting, worming in with little side cutters to do it. The DENO is easy to install, which cuts down common mode noise if you use line level inputs.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2020, 06:24 pm »
6/10 commitments.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2020, 08:05 pm »
Recently gained 2 commitments I believe, not sure if everyone else is still in? May send emails in a minute/rally people up. It might be possible with 8.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2020, 02:04 am »
Ok it may not be that high :lol: , I want it to happen, working on it to see if it's possible with less commitments.

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2020, 03:07 am »
Can you build a test model? Perhaps more will jump on board if they knew the upside and the level of DIY that's required. 

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2020, 03:03 am »
The cost of a test model is not low.

The DIY requirements is cutting out and re-bridging two diodes bridges, and then inserting the whole thing between the transformer and PCB of the actual amp PCB. I plan to provide the wires and easy instructions for that, where you just have to strip and heatshrink the wires. The trick is cutting with little side cutters the diode bridges. It's not terribly hard but must be done nicely because good F'ing luck getting the amp board pulled up nicely and put back together nicely.

Well then there is the little filter for the ground, but it's not complicated. You have to be able to do basic soldering, and spend plenty of $  :wink: