Felicia Balancing PowerConditioner Constructor's Thread

Builder Brad

Re: Felicia Balancing PowerConditioner Constructor's Thread
« Reply #440 on: 12 May 2007, 09:11 am »
Dave,

as an afterthought if you are looking to build a low cost mains filter unit for higher power use, you might want to look ath this

http://www.triode-systems.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=3

I built one of these before my Felicia project and it performs very well, without the power limitations of the Felicia - its now used to filter ther supply for my Plasma

DaveJB

« Reply #441 on: 12 May 2007, 10:30 am »
I have all the parts except the transformers ready to go, including custom boxes - so I am committed to a Felicia. Besides that I borrowed one, built by a friend living nearby, and was amazed at the improvements offered in my system. It was the icing on the cake in terms of smoothness and transparency. I've looked at the Farnell transformers, but the price is so high that I hesitate to move for more than one channel and I really want to do several channels in one building binge!

My primary digital sources are Sony SCD777 VSE Level 5+ for CD and a Pioneer 747A for SACD surround, these both benefitted noticeably. I'll post a system description once I'm settled in and you'll see I'm probably going a bit mad!!

Dave

Builder Brad

« Reply #442 on: 12 May 2007, 10:58 am »
we are all a bit mad..........

Builder Brad

« Reply #443 on: 12 May 2007, 10:59 am »
Dave,

those transformers are all under £10 each at the moment - is that too expensive?

DaveJB

« Reply #444 on: 12 May 2007, 11:30 am »
The ones you note have single primary windings - making them cheaper. I thought one needed twin primaries as well as twin secondaries, as these are

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp;jsessionid=RRQQWS0X24OJJQFIAFNZK0Q?N=411&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=1166364&Ntx=&_requestid=110007

And these are £22 each.

Dave

Builder Brad

« Reply #445 on: 12 May 2007, 12:56 pm »
u need the twin primaries on the output transformer in order to create the complete "balanced" output - the centre tap where the 2 primaries are connected in series is connected to ground to reference the balanced output.

There is no need for twin coils on the input transformer.

Brad

Christopher Witmer

« Reply #446 on: 13 May 2007, 07:55 am »
I just came upon something that seems to be functionally similar to Felix, except it is built to be used with 3-phase electricity. I'd like to know how to wire the thing for best results with SINGLE phase, so I started a separate thread in which I have included a circuit diagram:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40920

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

Occam

« Reply #447 on: 13 May 2007, 03:54 pm »
For those consider building a Felix  (or the conditioners like those discussed by Triode Systems, above) outside of N.A., RS, (Radio Spares, not RadioShack) carries the Wurth Electonik CMB, toroidal common mode chokes -
http://www.we-eisos.com/website/emc/eisos/layout/frameset.php?sector=2&selmenu=3&katid=2&lan=1
click on the WE-CMB entry

Go to your local RS website and seach on 'WE-CMB'. These have excellent specifications, single layer windings for low interwinding capacitance, and are nominally equivalent to the JW Miller 8100 series available in the States.

rrspin

« Reply #448 on: 15 May 2007, 07:52 pm »
After reading the entire forum I decided to build several Flex's.  My question or rather my confusion with this config has to do with the size or number of caps to use ?
Is there a particular brand that others have found work well ?  I suppose Auricap is not an option or is it ? if so what size ?   2 Auricap .47 uF 600V Capacitors between each cmc be ok ?
very much a newbie any suggestion would certain help.

Since I'll be buying my CMC from Newark do they carry caps that work well ?

MAIN AC IN ==> FUSE ==> [  x2 CAP => JW Miller 8120 CMC => CAPS => OUTLET ]

thanks

JoshK

« Reply #449 on: 15 May 2007, 08:00 pm »
rrspin,

I'd think the auricaps would work out well, they are just not dirt cheap.   I'd imagine you could use other metallized polpropylene (MKP) caps of similar voltage rating if you fuse appropriately.  X2 caps would be even better for safety reasons, although not sure if they sound as good.

I don't know what has been written about yet regarding the caps before and after the CMC, but I've heard some feedback about using .47 in parrallel with .1 on both before and after.  But experimentation is possibly needed to determine what is best. 

rrspin

« Reply #450 on: 15 May 2007, 08:12 pm »
thanks for the speedy response :)

Currently have 2 Auricaps across N and L behind the fuse on my CD player with a Venhaus PowerCord.  With your vast experience would one notice a large improvement using or building the Flex ?

thanks again

JoshK

« Reply #451 on: 15 May 2007, 08:16 pm »
With your vast experience would one notice a large improvement using or building the Flex ?

thanks again

I don't have vast experience, but my limited experience would say yes.  And just an FYI, its "Felix", like as in the cat.  Quite simply, the cap across the line is good at turning HF differential noise into common mode noise.  The CMC is then good at dampening this common mode noise.  Some power transformers are wound in such a way as to provide more CM dampening, but this is becoming less and less typical. 

rrspin

« Reply #452 on: 15 May 2007, 08:22 pm »
 :wink:  yes Felix !!!  typing way to fast  :duh:

cheers

Builder Brad

« Reply #453 on: 22 May 2007, 06:55 am »
just go round to taking pics of my multi Felicia

the following componets are connected up to each Felicia:

AKSA GK 1R
Paridisea DAC
twin JSR06 power supplies for Orion ASP
power supply for Squeezebox

evary balanced output is protected by a 250ma fast blow fuse placed before the x rated final stage capacitors

the betwixt and between caps are various values, collected over the last 18 months, from 0.01uf to 47uf, and the umbilicals are made up of pairs of HT100 satelite cable based on the TNT audio "UBYTE" cables with nice chunky IEC connectors to terminate them:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/mains_e.html

overall I am quite happy with the results - I guess that the all in cost for this was no more than £125.00

DaveJB

« Reply #454 on: 22 May 2007, 08:59 pm »
Heh that's great! I'm in the early stages of a 6 channel build. Currently (!) there are two channels in mid-build with some hope of a functioning box by the end of the week. The hold up is obtaining the remaining transformers. and the fact that I've gone for a wooden box with all the difficulty of cutting it and drilling it for switches, sockets etc. Your pictures are very encouraging. I note there is no sawdust  :)

Dave

andyr

« Reply #455 on: 24 May 2007, 09:53 am »
just got round to taking pics of my multi Felicia

the following components are connected up to each Felicia:

AKSA GK-1R
Paridisea DAC
twin JSR06 power supplies for Orion ASP
power supply for Squeezebox

evary balanced output is protected by a 250ma fast blow fuse placed before the x rated final stage capacitors

the betwixt and between caps are various values, collected over the last 18 months, from 0.01uf to 47uf, and the umbilicals are made up of pairs of HT100 satelite cable based on the TNT audio "UBYTE" cables with nice chunky IEC connectors to terminate them:

overall I am quite happy with the results - I guess that the all in cost for this was no more than £125.00

Hi BB,

Given you stated your cost was no more than 125 UK pounds, you obviously live in the "advanced" 240v world, rather than the "primitive" 120v world!!  :lol:

I am in Oz - also 240v - can you do me a big favour and post (or PM me) what transformers you used?  I would like to build a pair of Felicias to go in front of the PSes of my 2 x mono active XOs (not Orions - Maggie IIIas).  :D

I use TNT "Ubyte" mains cables BTW ... weeell, tweaked slightly!  :D

Thanks,

Andy

BRN

« Reply #456 on: 27 May 2007, 01:45 am »
A note of caution

I just finished my Felix power conditioner. It's in a RS project box with 3 CMCs and 0.01, 0.1, and 0.47uF caps on either side of them and has outlets for each. Everything tested good, but have not had a chance to do any listening test. Anyway I completed my testing and was cleaning up when I reached across the table with the unplugged Felix and guess what I got a shock. I wasn't intentionally touching the prongs on the plug, because I know that the caps need to discharge. It was stupid on my part. Caution is needed because of the exposed prongs on the plug. My suggestion is if you are planning to unplug your Felix let it sit undisturbed a little while before doing anything with it.

Builder Brad

« Reply #457 on: 27 May 2007, 08:00 am »
Hi Andy,

greetings fellow AKSAphile

here are the links to the 2 UK suppliers I used to source the transformers - note that both are now end of line and the replacements apear to be cost prohibitive.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=696821&N=401

http://www.jprelec.co.uk/

you will not be surprised to hear that the GK 1R was the component that gained the least benefit from the Felicias balanced power.

what extras did you do to the U-BYTE cable?

Brad

DaveJB

« Reply #458 on: 27 May 2007, 12:11 pm »
Hi Builder Brad,

The problem with being part way through a build is that the cost of transformers must be taken in context. I've already parted with money for all the other parts and (with a friend's help) put much effort into setting up two channels. I will probably accept the higher prices to finish the job. After all, as I was reminded, one only needs the super-expensive transformers on the output side.

Apart from that, there is the issue of the benefits for the system. Having got 2 channels going I have been able to use them to check the impact on single source / pre-amp combinations. I am hearing very worthwhile improvements in two respects: less of the 'shoutey' quality on digital and improved sound-staging. Now if a Felicia can do that in a system previously using quite expensive line-conditioning already, it is worth pursuing even if it no longer all that cheap (assuming one can afford it that is!).

Sources checked so far: Sony SCD777 VSE Level5+ Modded; Pioneer 747 Chevin Audio Modded; Krell Showcase Pre-Processor; ATC SCA2 Pre-amp.

Dave

andyr

« Reply #459 on: 28 May 2007, 12:21 pm »
Hi Andy,

greetings fellow AKSAphile

here are the links to the 2 UK suppliers I used to source the transformers - note that both are now end of line and the replacements apear to be cost prohibitive.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=696821&N=401

http://www.jprelec.co.uk/

you will not be surprised to hear that the GK 1R was the component that gained the least benefit from the Felicia's balanced power.

what extras did you do to the U-BYTE cable?

Brad

Thanks very much, Brad,

I can buy similar products here in Oz from RS Components but, even including postage from the UK, I reckon I could save minimum A$10 per trannie (and I need 4) buy buying them from Farnell.  So I'll try them!  :D

However, before I lash out ... you said I'd "not be surprised to hear the GK-1R was the component that gained the least benefit from the Felicia's balanced power"!   :o

The reason why this statement is perticularly important to me is that the GK-1 has emitter-follower regulated PSes on the main PCB (and the phono stage).  Hugh has explained to me why this is a good "topology" to use to regulate source-component PSes and I agree with his argument (as far as I can understand it!!   :lol: ).

But but but ... I'm only innerested in building Felicias (2) to go in front of my 2 active XOs ... and these are powered by an emitter-follower regulated PS designed by Hugh!!  So it may well be that my active XOs will not benefit much from Felicias either?   :?

So I guess I need to know whether you heard any improvement with the GK-1?  As long as there is some, I'm happy to commit the money to buying the power trannies for my actives!!  :D

And "what extras did I do to the U-BYTE cable?" ... weeelll, obviously, I used different coax as that Italian stuff wasn't available in Oz.   :D  I used some very thick, teflon-insulated, stranded core (Belden RG-6 coax, originally, I think) but I stripped off the braid as I don't personally think that braiding 3 shielded cores does anything!  So my Ubyte is just 3 insulated cores, braided.

Regards,

Andy