NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!

pol_bct

Re: NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!
« Reply #2900 on: 21 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm »
One of the most common questions is what size panel to use.....Some will say the bigger the better but that is not always the case as panel size will depend on the type of exciter and the amount of exciters used on each panel.....a very small 13mm 3 watt exciter can be used on a smaller thinner sized panel even as small as 8 inches while a 32mm 40watt rms exciter will be over kill on the same size panel. On the other hand a 13mm 3 watt exciter on a 2ft.X4ft. panel is not enough to vibrate such a large panel while the 32mm 40 watt exciter should be enough. So like I said panel size is predicated on the type and the amount of exciters used per panel.

Bigger higher power exciters can be used on bigger and thicker panels.
Smaller less power exciters can be used on smaller and thinner panels.
Multiple exciters can be used on bigger panels.

I beg to have a different view, let me explain this
About ten years ago, when I started  to cut & try with DML exciters, my opinion was exactly the same as yours. At this moment,  my supposition based on what I ought to know from previous experimentations with line_array multi-drivers  was, that in order to move a big panel, I would need a certain amount of Watts, and just because at this moment, only smalls exciters where available, I guesstimated that a minimim of 4 to 8 exciters was requested.
How wrong I was, and why? because I had in mind piston loudspeakers, Distributed Modes loudspeakers are a different kind of beasts.
A small motor will move any panel, tiny or huge the same way,  and bass depend only of the radiation surface available (acoustic impedance). Obviously a bigger motor will move the panel deeper, but not lower in frequency.
Conclusion, you can put a single 5w exciter on a huge panel, and reach quite low in bass range, and if you need 9dB more loudness, just pick a 40w model.
But the important thing to keep in mind is that by putting a group of exciters on a panel , it's no more a DML system, it's a kind of hybrid monster.

POL

« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2017, 02:25 pm by pol_bct »

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #2901 on: 22 Apr 2017, 03:17 am »
I beg to have a different view, let me explain this
About ten years ago, when I started  to cut & try with DML exciters, my opinion was exactly the same as yours. At this moment,  my supposition based on what I ought to know from previous experimentations with line_array multi-drivers  was, that in order to move a big panel, I would need a certain amount of Watts, and just because at this moment, only smalls exciters where available, I guesstimated that a minimim of 4 to 8 exciters was requested.
How wrong I was, and why? because I had in mind piston loudspeakers, Distributed Modes loudspeakers are a different kind of beasts.
A small motor will move any panel, tiny or huge the same way,  and bass depend only of the radiation surface available (acoustic impedance). Obviously a bigger motor will move the panel deeper, but not lower in frequency.
Conclusion, you can put a single 5w exciter on a huge panel, and reach quite low in bass range, and if you need 9dB more loudness, just pick a 40w model.
But the important thing to keep in mind is that by putting a group of exciters on a panel , it's no more a DML system, it's a kind of hybrid monster.

POL

Basically any type of exciter will move/vibrate any size panel BUT the difference is in the out put of the vibrations of each type of exciter which can be due to size, design and power handling. More vibrations equals more loudness more loudness equals more audible bass at moderate volume levels....a 13mm 2-3 watt exciter bass out put is very low and will start to distort at moderate volume levels when ran full range due to bass restriction limits.

I believe there is a certain OPTIMAL RATIO of exciter vibration out put and panel size like I mentioned in my above post.....From my experiments these 3 things come into play when determining bass output...1. Type of Exciter design/size/power handling...2. Type of panel material (EPS for me) 3. Panel size as well as panel thickness.

Odal3

« Reply #2902 on: 22 Apr 2017, 03:22 am »
Hi, Odal3....Like Ive stated above my DML Panels mimic Bertagni speakers. I am currently using a 5.1 system of ALL DML panels including the sub. A DML panel sub is just a DML panel utilizing a sub amp.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying. It's fun and very rewarding, isn't?

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #2903 on: 22 Apr 2017, 04:17 am »
Got it. Thanks for clarifying. It's fun and very rewarding, isn't?

Ah yea it was very addicting for me and at times it can also be frustrating, miss one simple step or make a mistake and its like oh no I have to start all over again.  :duh:...Now that I am finally satisfied with the sound of my panels I can finally relax and take a breather after 2 and half years of obsession with these panels but it was worth it. 8)

The sound these panels put out especially with voices is outstanding, its like Nora Jones is performing in my bedroom but I dont know why she didnt come  :lol:

pol_bct

« Reply #2904 on: 22 Apr 2017, 11:27 am »
Basically any type of exciter will move/vibrate any size panel BUT the difference is in the out put of the vibrations of each type of exciter which can be due to size, design and power handling. More vibrations equals more loudness more loudness equals more audible bass at moderate volume levels....a 13mm 2-3 watt exciter bass out put is very low and will start to distort at moderate volume levels when ran full range due to bass restriction limits.

I believe there is a certain OPTIMAL RATIO of exciter vibration out put and panel size like I mentioned in my above post.....From my experiments these 3 things come into play when determining bass output...1. Type of Exciter design/size/power handling...2. Type of panel material (EPS for me) 3. Panel size as well as panel thickness.

I see that you are still thinking in terms of plane pistons, where a bass loudspeaker should have great excursions to make low frequencies.
Let me ask a simple question: Between a 1 meter square speaker with a 1 millimeter excursion and a 10cm speaker with a 10cm excursion, although they move the same volume of air, which is the more likely to reach low frequencies? and why?
Only because of their acoustic impedance, that of the air and the radiation impedance of the transducers, as well as their mutual adaptation.

with DMLs a small transducer will reach exactly the same bass frequency than a bigger one on the same panel, it will simply output less volume.
but on the other side a big transducer wont get very high in frequency, because of his weight and the diameter of the voice coil.

I am using 5 square meters of panels with tiny 5W transducers, & full range...

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #2905 on: 22 Apr 2017, 01:00 pm »
I see that you are still thinking in terms of plane pistons, where a bass loudspeaker should have great excursions to make low frequencies.
Let me ask a simple question: Between a 1 meter square speaker with a 1 millimeter excursion and a 10cm speaker with a 10cm excursion, although they move the same volume of air, which is the more likely to reach low frequencies? and why?
Only because of their acoustic impedance, that of the air and the radiation impedance of the transducers, as well as their mutual adaptation.

with DMLs a small transducer will reach exactly the same bass frequency than a bigger one on the same panel, it will simply output less volume.
but on the other side a big transducer wont get very high in frequency, because of his weight and the diameter of the voice coil.

I am using 5 square meters of panels with tiny 5W transducers, & full range...

I dont know what type of exciter you are using but a 13mm dayton exciter utilizing the same type/size panel as a 32mm 40wattrms dayton exciter cannot produce the same amount of bass out put/excursion REGARDLESS of the low end bass frequency extension..The low end bass frequency of a 13mm exciter would be almost inaudible unless used as near field desk tops or head phones  :lol:..There is a limit to the amount of vibration a small exciter can put out even in terms of excursion compared to a bigger exciter....Bigger panels dont mean more bass if it did I could put the 13mm exciters on a 100ft.X100ft. panel and they should have significantly more bass compared to a 2ft.X4ft. panel.  :lol:

I agree about the smaller exciters having higher frequency extension then the bigger exciters...A small 13mm exciter has less mid bass/mid range out put and sounds more like a tweeter due to the smaller voice coil....while the bigger exciters have bigger voice coils with higher mid bass and mid range out put which over shadows the high frequency treble in which I believe is there but over powered by the mid bass and mid range out put...Using a EQ to lower the high mid bass and mid range out put increases the sound of the treble as well as using a high pass cross over.

My DML panel design uses 2 exciters per panel. The large exciter (19mm and up)is used full range while the second smaller 13mm exciter is used as a tweeter (with a cross over) to help increase and extend the higher frequency response.

sedge

« Reply #2906 on: 26 Apr 2017, 01:31 pm »
Looking at the bertagni speakers ,they are a heavily clamped panel with thinning in area's, the lower end below 500hz is handled by the larger clamped panel ,in the YouTube video it does seem to act as a clapped piston at low frequencies hence the large clamped frame and magnet .
I would expect the sound to be similar to a standard cone type speaker ,and very different sounding from a free floating  panel.
Clamping a polystyrene panel does not sound good to me ,clamping something like 3mm plywood can improve the sound and output,they react differently to the same procedure.
A single 10watt 25mm exciter freely mounted on a ,let's say  3ftx7ftx 1inch poly panel  would fill a house let alone a room with a fullrange of sound from 20hz to 20k(as long as room and panel cancellations in the 100hz to 300hz have been taken care of) a 2x4ft panel does a good job too.
Personally though I would use a low frequency driver to take the strain of the larger movements from the panels.
Steve

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #2907 on: 27 Apr 2017, 06:52 am »
Looking at the bertagni speakers ,they are a heavily clamped panel with thinning in area's, the lower end below 500hz is handled by the larger clamped panel ,in the YouTube video it does seem to act as a clapped piston at low frequencies hence the large clamped frame and magnet .
I would expect the sound to be similar to a standard cone type speaker ,and very different sounding from a free floating  panel.
Clamping a polystyrene panel does not sound good to me ,clamping something like 3mm plywood can improve the sound and output,they react differently to the same procedure.
A single 10watt 25mm exciter freely mounted on a ,let's say  3ftx7ftx 1inch poly panel  would fill a house let alone a room with a fullrange of sound from 20hz to 20k(as long as room and panel cancellations in the 100hz to 300hz have been taken care of) a 2x4ft panel does a good job too.
Personally though I would use a low frequency driver to take the strain of the larger movements from the panels.
Steve

Bertagni speakers have the same unique exciter technology sound as free floating panels they just sound better then any free floating panel that I've ever heard...What do I mean when I say better? Better all around ACCURACY in the bass, mids and highs due to using spline attached to a frame with some sort of surrounds holding the panels on to the frame.....Also Bertagni speakers sound really good without any EQ.

I will show you two vids one is Bertagni speakers and one is free floating panels....Bertagni speakers utilize EPS material while the free floating panels are XPS....yawl can judge for yourselves which sound you prefer better.

Bertagni speakers> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-OQz_AuzB8&t=40s

Rich (aka OBNewbie) free floating panels with EQ> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To3IOYxTFKw

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2017, 12:37 pm by Bendingwave »

sedge

« Reply #2908 on: 28 Apr 2017, 02:41 am »
Bendingwave
I did look at the video link's you posted ,I could not view newbie,s video as it is unavailable !
I have problems with the other video as the sound did not match the movement of the camera so am unsure how this recording was made?
The YouTube video you previously posted gave a much better idea of how the bertagni speakers sounded in a real room.
Yes they do sound good ,but the drive units used are very similar to bmr units but larger,and as such will suffer the same problems as standard drive units.
Steve

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #2909 on: 28 Apr 2017, 03:25 am »
Bendingwave
I did look at the video link's you posted ,I could not view newbie,s video as it is unavailable !
I have problems with the other video as the sound did not match the movement of the camera so am unsure how this recording was made?
The YouTube video you previously posted gave a much better idea of how the bertagni speakers sounded in a real room.
Yes they do sound good ,but the drive units used are very similar to bmr units but larger,and as such will suffer the same problems as standard drive units.
Steve

Rich's video is available I am listening to them as I type..I am not sure why its not available to you......In the bertagni vid it looked like the person was no more then a foot and a half away from the speakers so they sound wont change much when moving around that close to the speakers right at the end of the song when he went to view the back the pitched changed but the song ended right after that he should of went to the back of the speakers before the song ended so people can hear the change in sound....This person is selling those Bertagni speakers on Ebay and he clearly states they are playing to demo the sound. Whether he is telling the truth or not I do not know for sure.

BMR technology is exciter technology from NXT, even though Bertagni utilized exciter/bmr technology way before NXT.....Even Sony's APM speakers utilize BMR technology as well as some old school technics speakers so it aint really nothing new its just been popularized again by NXT.

What are these problems? I dont understand how better over all accuracy of the audio spectrum utilizing Bertagnis design can have more problems then free floating panels. From my experience I believe Bertagnis designs solves all the problems associated with free floating panels and then some.

My first build of panels are from Rich's design and compared to my Bertagni speakers those panels sound pretty awful when doing direct comparison so I know first hand how they sound in real life and not just from a video. lol

Oh what I forgot to mention also is that the only difference between Bertagni's design and BMR technology is that BMR speakers are mostly utilized in a enclosure while Bertagni speakers are not making bertagni speakers basically open baffle speakers with sound radiating from both sides.

Listen to this vid of BMR speakers they have the same unique exciter sound because they are exciters. A single BMR driver like most exciters have that high pronounced mid range out put over shadowing the treble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deoW7XvyMgY

By utilizing Bertagnis design with those BMR speakers in the video will sound even better by adding a smaller BMR driver and using that driver as a tweeter with just a simple uf capacitor to increase the output of the treble to match the midrange output of the bigger BMR driver.

« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2017, 06:44 am by Bendingwave »

sedge

« Reply #2910 on: 28 Apr 2017, 09:47 am »
So,what you are saying is that free floating panels sound bad ,so we should all go out and buy bmr units and hey presto all problems solved ?
The video's play on my computer but not my tablets, only trouble is i can't get much volume on my computer !
I used headphones when listening to the YouTube video on the tablet and when he moved left to right the sound stayed dead center you would also expect the sound to change when moving over tweeters and midrange drivers,also when the music stopped so did all the sound,dead silence ,even though there were other people and a dog in the room ?
Comparing newbie,s small panel (which would not be my first choice for best sounding panel) to a full range panel type speaker with open panel sub and tweeters is not a good match.
You would have to add a sub plus tweeters and xo, playing a midrange unit only ,would sound odd !
From experience if you clamp a poly type panel you might as well buy a bmr , as the sound is totally destroyed by over damping !
Steve

pol_bct

« Reply #2911 on: 28 Apr 2017, 10:39 am »
yawl can judge for yourselves which sound you prefer better.

Bertagni speakers> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-OQz_AuzB8&t=40s

Rich (aka OBNewbie) free floating panels with EQ> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To3IOYxTFKw

The Bertagni video is clearly a sound / video remix with a soundtrack that does not match the actual recording of the microphone. If we run a vectorscope software in background we see that the separation of the channels and their position in the space does not change at all. Juste a small scam

POL

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #2912 on: 28 Apr 2017, 11:29 am »
So,what you are saying is that free floating panels sound bad ,so we should all go out and buy bmr units and hey presto all problems solved ?
The video's play on my computer but not my tablets, only trouble is i can't get much volume on my computer !
I used headphones when listening to the YouTube video on the tablet and when he moved left to right the sound stayed dead center you would also expect the sound to change when moving over tweeters and midrange drivers,also when the music stopped so did all the sound,dead silence ,even though there were other people and a dog in the room ?
Comparing newbie,s small panel (which would not be my first choice for best sounding panel) to a full range panel type speaker with open panel sub and tweeters is not a good match.
You would have to add a sub plus tweeters and xo, playing a midrange unit only ,would sound odd !
From experience if you clamp a poly type panel you might as well buy a bmr , as the sound is totally destroyed by over damping !
Steve

All the Free floating panels Ive heard IMO sound awful to me when directly compared to my Bertagni SM 100 speakers.... I never said you should go and do anything as you can do anything you want to try and solve your own problems. My problems were all solved once I mimicked Bertagnis design.

Were the dog and people in the room making any noise??? Unless you think the mic can pic up the dogs breathing??? Or maybe the sound of foot steps on carpet??? LMAO....If it was a recording why stop the song before the video is over??? Like I said I dont know for sure if it was the real sound of the speakers but the person selling the speakers clearly states its the speakers playing...Also depending on the model of the Bertagni speakers some of them run full range without a tweeter so you wont hear that much of a change in sound as the bass/mid/highs are coming all from the exciter.

I said I compared Rich's panel design to my Bertagni speakers SM 100 that does not use a piezo electric tweeter nor a sub but still has a full range of sound on a SINGLE 19inch X24inch panel....In the video comparison I choose that particular Bertagni speaker because its very similar to my SM100....I could of chose the other video I showed you of the flag ship model SM300 but that model uses a piezo electric tweeter and it is way bigger then rich's panels so that wouldnt be a fair comparison....Why is it not a good match??? What is a good match for comparing sound of different DML panel designs using exciters?

I did buy a BMR but the biggest BMR driver is 3.5inchs and compared to my Bertagni speakers they sound very tiny with less highs less bass and less fullness.......The sound of my panels is not destroyed by over dampening I dont know what the heck you are talking about. :roll: If you ever hear my panels or a pair of Bertagni speakers it might just change your mind on the way you think and believe about free floating panels.  :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2017, 09:56 pm by Bendingwave »

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #2913 on: 28 Apr 2017, 11:34 am »
The Bertagni video is clearly a sound / video remix with a soundtrack that does not match the actual recording of the microphone. If we run a vectorscope software in background we see that the separation of the channels and their position in the space does not change at all. Juste a small scam

POL

It could be a sound video remix with a sound track but why stop the sound track half way through the vid since the sound is not live one could edit it and play it to the end right?...Like Ive stated the first time I dont know for sure if its the speakers actually playing or a video remix but the person selling those speakers on Ebay states they are playing.

pol_bct

« Reply #2914 on: 28 Apr 2017, 12:00 pm »
I do a lot of sound editing for my pleasure and for measurements and I can guarantee 100% that this track does not stick with the movements of the microphone. No phase changes between the left and right channels, no sound balance change, and at the end the sound stop one second after passing over the Bertagni because the guy awkwardly tried to make the end of the sound track coincide with The passage from the front to the rear being aware that there must be a sound attenuation at this moment. And last there is absolutely no back ground echoes from the room, :green: A huge joke.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #2915 on: 28 Apr 2017, 12:29 pm »
I do a lot of sound editing for my pleasure and for measurements and I can guarantee 100% that this track does not stick with the movements of the microphone. No phase changes between the left and right channels, no sound balance change, and at the end the sound stop one second after passing over the Bertagni because the guy awkwardly tried to make the end of the sound track coincide with The passage from the front to the rear being aware that there must be a sound attenuation at this moment. And last there is absolutely no back ground echoes from the room, :green: A huge joke.

Why would he make the sound stop right after passing over the speakers instead of letting the sound track keep on playing?  I dont know about all that but me personally I wouldnt bet my life on it as I just dont know for sure.

Here is the link for those speakers supposedly playing in the video> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bertagni-Panel-Picture-Speakers-1963-Argentina-Excellent-Low-Hours-/252868898867?hash=item3ae0293033:g:dnYAAOSwSypY8ioJ

Maybe one of yawl can ask and confront him about his speakers supposedly not actually playing?

pol_bct

« Reply #2916 on: 28 Apr 2017, 01:35 pm »
Yes, I have been to his Ebay page and have read his post
"
I did make a video, with them playing !!
Go to YOUTUBE .......Search Bertagni Panel Speakers, you will see them playing with a warm rich sound. There is no rattles, bass is deep and sound amazing.
In the video, ( taken from a cell phone, the color is not that great, but you can see, and hear them perfectly.) "

I have yet to see a cellphone able to take such a great stereo recording, ICH LACHE MICH TOT !!!

POL

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #2917 on: 28 Apr 2017, 09:01 pm »
Yes, I have been to his Ebay page and have read his post
"
I did make a video, with them playing !!
Go to YOUTUBE .......Search Bertagni Panel Speakers, you will see them playing with a warm rich sound. There is no rattles, bass is deep and sound amazing.
In the video, ( taken from a cell phone, the color is not that great, but you can see, and hear them perfectly.) "

I have yet to see a cellphone able to take such a great stereo recording, ICH LACHE MICH TOT !!!

POL

Well like I said if you are so sure its not really the speakers playing you should confront him about it. Not sure about Ebay terms and policies but if those speakers arent really playing like he claims they are then that is falsifying and or misleading information.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2017, 11:03 pm by Bendingwave »

pol_bct

« Reply #2918 on: 29 Apr 2017, 03:44 am »
I wont step in because I am not the sheriff of this planet  :roll:, and I do not aim at paying 650$ for a couple of sound transducers half a century old.
But I do know when I see a forgery.
And because the sound track is a little scam, I am suspicious of the whole annonce, there is zero picture of the transducers and of the inside of the loudspeakers.  :duh:
You should guess why...

POL

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #2919 on: 29 Apr 2017, 04:45 am »
I wont step in because I am not the sheriff of this planet  :roll:, and I do not aim at paying 650$ for a couple of sound transducers half a century old.
But I do know when I see a forgery.
And because the sound track is a little scam, I am suspicious of the whole annonce, there is zero picture of the transducers and of the inside of the loudspeakers.  :duh:
You should guess why...

POL

Well its like you are saying you know for a fact that he is lying but you dont have any real proof so you cant confront him and actually prove him wrong. :wink:...I never said you should buy it  :scratch:, I said you could confront him about him lying about his speakers actually playing since you are so sure and adamant that they are not actually playing...Questioning the worth of old transducers will depend on the design and sound of that speaker....you cant see the transducers unless you open up the speakers to look in the inside this goes for almost every single Bertagni speakers ever made.  Its like your speculating the sound being fake to even further speculate that the transducers are not there in the speakers because you cant see them :roll:.....Like I said I dont know for sure so I wouldnt bet my life on it , would you? APPARENTLY NOT since you wont even ask and confront him about it, all talk and no action  :lol:
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2017, 06:05 am by Bendingwave »