RIP Tommy

Markwatkiss

Re: RIP Tommy
« Reply #40 on: 18 Dec 2021, 01:21 pm »
I didn’t know Tommy but I understand from those who did and the many condolences in this thread that he was a very special guy.Condolences to his family and also a reminder to those who aren’t immunized please get vaccinated.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #41 on: 18 Dec 2021, 01:28 pm »
Leave your opinions about the ‘benefits’ of vaccination out of this.  This is about Tommy and the family he left behind, leave it at that.

Philip J Fry

« Reply #42 on: 18 Dec 2021, 05:50 pm »
Very sorry to learn about Tommy's passing.

Years ago, he sent me one of his first amps to try and was very interested in how it compared to the Tact amp I was using at the time.

Hope everything works out for his family.

ctviggen

« Reply #43 on: 18 Dec 2021, 06:42 pm »
Leave your opinions about the ‘benefits’ of vaccination out of this.  This is about Tommy and the family he left behind, leave it at that.

I can do that, as long as you can believe that covid is a dangerous virus that kills people, like Tommy, in the prime of life.  I see too much on Twitter and the like with "99.9 percent of people live".  Not only is this not true, but when someone doesn't live, it's devastating, as this is.

Further, a father my age in my town spent 12 days on a ventilator and over 50 days in the hospital. True, he lived.  But he was physically trashed.

I'm getting sick of the whole "it's not dangerous", when it is. And Tommy is proof of that.

drmike

« Reply #44 on: 18 Dec 2021, 07:55 pm »
ditto, rip tommy

dwill73

« Reply #45 on: 18 Dec 2021, 08:26 pm »
Words can't express how awesome it was to know Tommy.  I've probably spent 40-50 hours on the phone with him the past year, if not more, after purchasing 4 mega mono amps and his dac.  I talked him into selling his JTR 210s and upgrading to the JTR 212s.  At first he was like, Darren I think I made a big mistake.  I told him to give it 2-3 weeks and I guarantee you'll change your mind.  Long story short, they became his favorite speakers of all time and he would always send me texts on songs to stream since I have the same system.  He was not just a audio pioneer, he was a awesome father, and friend.   RIP Tommy

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #46 on: 19 Dec 2021, 12:01 am »

Actually,  I am an ER physician and those are facts not opinions.  Sorry if I offended you.  Tommy died from covid, a true tragedy for his family and the audio community.  And if my comment can convince someone to get a vaccine and save a life so be it.

I don't want to start a Bruha but you are out of line.  I stated the factual truths, not antivaxx made up BS.

I am done!

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #47 on: 19 Dec 2021, 12:07 am »
Actually,  I am an ER physician and those are facts not opinions.  Sorry if I offended you.  Tommy died from covid, a true tragedy for his family and the audio community.  And if my comment can convince someone to get a vaccine and save a life so be it.

I don't want to start a Bruha but you are out of line.  I stated the factual truths, not antivaxx made up BS.

I am done!

Thank you

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #48 on: 19 Dec 2021, 01:17 am »
I met Tommy on multiple occasions with the NYAR. His enthusiasm for what he was doing and the hobby was nothing short of wonderful.

R.I.P. good sir

Bill B.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #49 on: 19 Dec 2021, 01:55 am »
I talked to Tommy a time or two and bought a couple amps through those calls. As far as people in the industry, he was tops. May he rest in peace.

I am done!

You have nothing to apologize for.

Excuse me while I go and make a small donation to the go fund me for his kids.

mjosef

« Reply #50 on: 19 Dec 2021, 01:58 am »
Wow, what a shocker!
Tommy always seem full of energy at all the NYARaves.
Best wished to the Children.

GregC

« Reply #51 on: 19 Dec 2021, 02:46 am »
I am stunned, this is terrible news.  Just a couple months ago I spoke to Tommy on the phone for a couple hours.  His passion for audio was infectous.

I own a pair of Golden Cherries with linear power supplies that Tommy custom made to fit in a pair of his cherry power supply cases.  Tommy told me I am one of twelve to have the special linear supplies.  I also have a King Cherry for my center channel and a Stereo Cherry amp (with upgrades) for my surrounds.  My 2 channel and HT system are 100 percent cherry powered.

God Bless Tommy, you will be missed.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #52 on: 19 Dec 2021, 01:09 pm »
Terribly sad news.  I met Tommy once and liked him instantly.  Deepest sympathies to his family and many friends, heartbreaking that we lose yet another from this terrible disease.

jonbee

« Reply #54 on: 19 Dec 2021, 04:40 pm »
I hope his designs get bought up and made by others. They really are masterworks, the best class D I've heard, and I've owned a couple dozen class d.
I'm sure the kids could use the $ too.

BassMojo

« Reply #55 on: 19 Dec 2021, 04:46 pm »

I am done!

Are you "an" ER physician or "the" ER physician who was providing care for Tommy up until his passing? If "an" ER physician, please stop as your comments are in arrogance and completely disrespectful to Tommy and his family.

My family and I were in close communication with Tommy (and his family), trying to help him for the last few weeks of his life and I happen to know more details that I will keep to myself out of respect for them. None of us (me included) were there in the hospital and know all the details of what happened. Tommy lived in a state that doesn't allow in some of the very effective treatments in creating recovery for what he was battling.

If you all want to do something, donate to the GoFundMe to help his kids. He blessed my life and I happily donated what I could to provide them some help in their most trying time. God bless Tommy and his family.

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #56 on: 19 Dec 2021, 05:19 pm »
Please refrain from medical discussion in this thread.
Thank you.

BassMojo

« Reply #57 on: 19 Dec 2021, 05:32 pm »
Happily, thank you.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #58 on: 19 Dec 2021, 08:22 pm »
I met Tommy on multiple occasions with the NYAR. His enthusiasm for what he was doing and the hobby was nothing short of wonderful.

R.I.P. good sir

Bill B.

Likewise, a great guy! He will be missed by all...

Condolences,
Pete

mfsoa

« Reply #59 on: 19 Dec 2021, 11:31 pm »
What terrible news. First thoughts are for the kids, and for their mother who will also need strength beyond imagination now.

Forgive if this gets too long-

I knew Tommy very well and considered him simply one of my best friends.
After introducing him to the New York Audio Rave (he used those Rave Demo CDs constantly to evaluate his gear) and to Audio Circle, we became fast friends.

He had the worst allergies!! When he would visit we would always have Benadryl on hand as he would be sneezing and wheezing but would stay and listen and chat for hours anyway. Also, the Bombay gin helped.

Went on many a double date with him - many a Rave - many a time at his place listening to the latest gear - many a trip to my brother's store to hook his amps up to Dave's reference system - trips with him to client's houses  - so many great times. He was dear not only to me but to my wife and brother as well.

I was fortunate to hear and live with many of his prototype amps and can remember the exact place, northbound on Rt 287, when I turned to him and said "You know, you should take all of the power supply guts from a stereo amp and put it all into a monoblock"  and his eyes lit up and the mono amps were born. There is tiny chance that I attached the feet or wire harness on the DAC amp you own - It was fun to hang with him in his basement and help screw stuff together and listen to the plans for the next upgrade! He was always cooking up many things at once in that brain. We were currently discussing applications for live music PA amps...so much lost on so many levels.

Tommy is a drummer too and always made a point to come see our band play, even coming up on stage to play my drums to help us sound-check once. He loved that!

We clicked on so many levels and had such a deep bond that I was free to have very serious and frank words with him regarding our opposite views on the virus and appropriate actions to take. It caused some rift in our friendship but we agreed to not discuss such matters anymore, just a few short months ago. I doubt I could have done or said more short of tackling him, but I will forever feel that I failed to take sufficient action to protect a dear friend.

Great kids, I wish them the best. Oldest is a naturally gifted musician - guitar, drums and voice. A competitive table hockey player who didn't like to lose, and didn't! Middle daughters is a very talented artist. The youngest was always so sweet and shy but that was years ago when she was still young...

Tommy family man story: As mentioned, he had bad pet allergies, but the kids wanted dogs. Did he get them a dog, no, he got three!! You always got to see the latest guitar videos and artwork his kids made. and he was always telling me the names they gave to his reference tracks.

Goodbye friend.
-Mike