Finally, a conditioner that works with 'little' penalty - the Audience aR1p

jbtrio

I also have an aR1p. It is connected to my Spectron Musician III SE which gives it a blacker background with no loss of dynamics.
Very pleased with the unit and the price I paid was good.

IronLion

I recently got an Acoustic Revive RTP-4 Ultimate which is sounding quite good to me so far.  Would like to compare it to an AR1P someday, and maybe even with an AR1P plugged into it, but that might be a ways off in the future.   

TheChairGuy

I am right now listening to the Audience aR1p louder than I have since I bought it....and I sense no strain or dynamic constriction with my SS preamp/50watt Dukane tube monoblock amps thru very flat/crossoverless 87db (bookshelf) speakers in a 12 x 18 x 8' room right now.

A 5mv Grado with plenty of punch and Mozart's Violin Concerti (lots of piano and strings) would certainly dredge it up if it were there  :roll:

I think any 'etch' or resonance I am hearing is room-induced, or mechanical in nature (17 lb speakers on 30 lb bases), but additional mass is always helpful for speakers I have found).  Frankly, I am finding no additional issues that the Audience conditioner is adding versus before insertion of it in my system.

It's still hundreds of hours from break-in, too.  Yesterday it wasn't sounding as good as today or the day before...something I hear in any component with long break-ins.  The break in period seems not to be linear...it wanders about until it is fully fleshed out.

Very, very good performance with seemingly no downsides this far  :thumb:

John

jbtrio

IT needs some time for the caps to settle in, at first plug-in it is foggy & closed in .After it breaks in the sound is open and clear with smoothness and no loss of dynamics IMS.

TheChairGuy

IT needs some time for the caps to settle in, at first plug-in it is foggy & closed in .After it breaks in the sound is open and clear with smoothness and no loss of dynamics IMS.

Wow - great to know there is even better results ahead...as I have nothing to dislike now.

Seems like it improve my CD/Redbook more than vinyl...which is a great thing  :thumb:

TheChairGuy

Several days in, the Audience aR1p still sounds pleasurable.

I've played a wide range of material now, including loud piano and strings (that tends to show up any shortcomings of these 'conditioners') and I hear nothing but overall benefit.  I'm not really attuned to picking out specific nuances of betterment...I merely know if a component adds to or detracts from my enjoyment.

The Audience is a very positive step.  I'm not sure the improvement (in my system) is that of an amp, preamp or speaker upgrade, but for $495 seems a logical step-up for most.  Given the money and time-obsession we all lavish on our stereo's - I'd have to give this a pretty serious thumbs up  :thumb:

It probably doesn't have but 50 hours on it yet...so if there is somehow further improvement the next 200 hours, I will be thrilled.  Right now, I'm not sure what I can ask for.

Finally, after 5-6 tries at it, I found a conditioner that adds positively to the sonics...without detracting in some way (dynamic constriction the rest were guilty of, primarily)

John

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Very glad you found something that you like John.

George

TheChairGuy

Very glad you found something that you like John.

George

Dang - me, too!  I really began to think that finding one was a dead end.  It wasn't as if I couldn't find very positive attributes of the others...but in the end I found the resultant sonics to be worse, or less pleasurable.

It's really neat to find something not-so-extraordinarily expensive that really does work  :thumb:

John

Big Red Machine

For those lurking:

Dynamic range performance maximized by extremely low DC resistance
 Hubbell high conductivity power receptacle
 Marinco high conductivity power plug
 Auricap High Resolution Capacitors used exclusively in filter sections
 All hand wired with 10 gauge equivalent power wire; no printed circuit boards
 Non-wearing silent high voltage transient suppression up to 20,000 AMPS
 Ceiling mount bracket
 Non-resonant damping
 Entire electrical circuit cryogenically treated
Power Handling:
 120VAC, 15 AMP, 50-60 Hz, 1800 watts
 220VAC - 240VAC, 15 AMP, 50-60 Hz, 3300 watts
 Power Connectors:
 High conductivity US power receptacle and plug
 Dimensions:
 6”W x 3”H x 2”D (not including plug)
 Weight:
 1.5 lbs

Finish: 
 Black plastic
 Price:
 $495.00 USD 

TONEPUB

I just bought 2 more.  Now I'll have 4 and total flexibility.  They are very nice.  Sent my Monarchy back due to the fan noise and 100 watt limit.

Just curious, what was the penalty you had with the Running Springs Haley?

And I recall an earlier post that you said your power was so clean you didn't
need a line conditioner?

I'm very interested in this thread, as Audience wants us to review this product...

TheChairGuy

Jeff - you'll like the results.  I've been thru the ringer with conditioners.....all the way up thru the PS Audio 300 PowerPlant and even a fully tricked out BPT-2 (with most of the Signature upgrades).

Nothing has been as overall beneficial as this little Audience.  Good sonic gain with out the pain  :) John

Big Red Machine

I just bought 2 more.  Now I'll have 4 and total flexibility.  They are very nice.  Sent my Monarchy back due to the fan noise and 100 watt limit.

need a line conditioner?

I'm very interested in this thread, as Audience wants us to review this product...

I couldn't tell the difference between the Haley and direct from the wall.  So I assumed it was pretty darn good "raw".  But the more I read up the more I wanted to find something that cleaned up noise that (as I read) was there.  And then there were a few late night sessions where the sound got really sweet (with no conditioning) so I assumed that during my normal times of listening it must in fact be dirty.  So out went the Haley and I came across a favorable review of this unit and thought I would try one.  I actually felt the sound popped more with it than without and certainly was far better than previous attempts at trying AC conditioning.  It reminded me of that late night session so I went with it.

I liked the Monarchy unit but the fan is ridiculous to live with and 100 watt limit is constraining.

I also opted to get 4 of these units so I had flexibility and to get as many units direct to the wall as possible.  I'm going to take one apart and see if I can flip the plug 180 degrees so it can be upside down in the same outlet as another.  So I will have my amp in one, pre in one, DAC in one, and probably my Brickwall for the SB power or maybe the CDP in one (which I rarely use.)

EDS_

need a line conditioner?

I couldn't tell the difference between the Haley and direct from the wall.  So I assumed it was pretty darn good "raw".  But the more I read up the more I wanted to find something that cleaned up noise that (as I read) was there.  And then there were a few late night sessions where the sound got really sweet (with no conditioning) so I assumed that during my normal times of listening it must in fact be dirty.  So out went the Haley and I came across a favorable review of this unit and thought I would try one.  I actually felt the sound popped more with it than without and certainly was far better than previous attempts at trying AC conditioning.  It reminded me of that late night session so I went with it.

I liked the Monarchy unit but the fan is ridiculous to live with and 100 watt limit is constraining.

I also opted to get 4 of these units so I had flexibility and to get as many units direct to the wall as possible.  I'm going to take one apart and see if I can flip the plug 180 degrees so it can be upside down in the same outlet as another.  So I will have my amp in one, pre in one, DAC in one, and probably my Brickwall for the SB power or maybe the CDP in one (which I rarely use.)

The absolute truth of the matter is that power is generally "cleaner" after about 7 p.m..  I used to have a great article from am mag called "Public Power" - it's from a power generation perspective but very interesting.  If I can find it I'll scan and post it if the file is not to large.

randytsuch

Not to put this product down, but has anybody taken a look inside yet?

I am wondering if there is anything inside other than a couple of auricaps, and some kind of transient suppressor?

I remember a while ago over at AA, there were threads from people putting auri's inside of CDP's, on the AC lines, and they were very happy with the results.

Randy

TheChairGuy

I am wondering if there is anything inside other than a couple of auricaps, and some kind of transient suppressor?

I remember a while ago over at AA, there were threads from people putting auri's inside of CDP's, on the AC lines, and they were very happy with the results.

Randy

Hey Randy - long time, man!

No, I've not looked inside.  I am certain it is alarming simple in there...and Audience is making mucho profit margin from making it and selling to dealers for $250 or so.  I bought mine for $395 (unused from original owner) so the degree of ripped-off-ness I'd feel if I opened it would be $100 less than others would  :wink:

I'm simply more excited that it actually works  :thumb: as I've spent more and gotten less in the past.  Or, I've spent less and gotten less.  Either way, this one is an improvement to sonics.

John

GBB

I've not looked inside.  I am certain it is alarming simple in there...

I'm simply more excited that it actually works  :thumb:

John,
Based on the review of the big Audience Adept Response in 6moons
http://6moons.com/audioreviews/audience5/adeptresponse.html

it would appear that these filters are similar in concept to the Felix filters that our own Occam has come up with in the Lab.  Take a look at the thread here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25757.0

I haven't done the comparison of the Audience filters to the Felix but I believe that some of the NY Ravers have made that comparison and found that the Felix did very well.  I've built a few of the Felix filters so we could run our own North California comparison one of these days if you're interested.

---Gary

GBB

Duplicate post removed

Big Red Machine

I tried to open one up and even though there are screws and what looks like a lid, it has been glued or sealed and cannot be opened without major cutting.

randytsuch

No, I've not looked inside.  I am certain it is alarming simple in there...and Audience is making mucho profit margin from making it and selling to dealers for $250 or so.  I bought mine for $395 (unused from original owner) so the degree of ripped-off-ness I'd feel if I opened it would be $100 less than others would  :wink:

I'm simply more excited that it actually works  :thumb: as I've spent more and gotten less in the past.  Or, I've spent less and gotten less.  Either way, this one is an improvement to sonics.

John

Hi John,
I still lurk here, but have not posted for a while.  But, this thread caught my attention, and I wonder what’s inside this thing.

I've not looked inside.  I am certain it is alarming simple in there...

I'm simply more excited that it actually works  :thumb:

John,
Based on the review of the big Audience Adept Response in 6moons
http://6moons.com/audioreviews/audience5/adeptresponse.html

it would appear that these filters are similar in concept to the Felix filters that our own Occam has come up with in the Lab.  Take a look at the thread here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25757.0

I haven't done the comparison of the Audience filters to the Felix but I believe that some of the NY Ravers have made that comparison and found that the Felix did very well.  I've built a few of the Felix filters so we could run our own North California comparison one of these days if you're interested.

---Gary

Hi Gary
I think you’re right.  I had was looking for pics what’s inside aR1p, I forgot they claim it’s the same circuit as the bigger, more expensive Audience conditioners.

I tried to open one up and even though there are screws and what looks like a lid, it has been glued or sealed and cannot be opened without major cutting.
I noticed that in the pics, but I guess they don’t want people looking to see what’s inside.

Thanks guys
Randy

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013

Randy

John

Hi John, it makes me happy to see you finally have embraced the dark side of power conditioning,,,, welcome comrade. :notworthy: Got a question for ya tho, this unit has 1 AC outlet, right? It was mentioned in this thread that this conditioner has a rating of 1800watts? Are you using this on only 1 component or have you implemented a power strip for extra outlets?

Congratulations John. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin