Salk SongTowers vs Acoustic Zen Adagio

gkinberg

Salk SongTowers vs Acoustic Zen Adagio
« on: 1 Feb 2010, 03:00 am »
I will soon be purchasing “new” (to me) main right and left floor standing speakers. I am very interested in the Salk SongTowers as my budget is 2K max.

However, I’ve been reading very good things about Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers which can be had used around 2K. They are reported to be slightly more efficient and lower base extension.

Has anyone heard both of these speakers? If so, what were your impressions, which did you like better, and why?

I appreciate any comments. Regards, Garth

funkmonkey

Re: Salk SongTowers vs Acoustic Zen Adagio
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2010, 06:54 am »
Hey Garth, I listened to both a while back when I was searching for speakers.

Here some links to my thoughts at the time:
Adagio
Song Towers  2nd review down

I made a quick comparo here

You may find some other useful information in that thread, several options under $2k are listed if nothing else...

Off the top of my head I would say that the two speakers have a different character, the Adagio's being the more aggressive of the two...  on a couple of different levels.  But it's been a while since I heard either of them, my old words are better since they were written shortly after hearing the speakers.

Bottom line is that you should try and audition both of them, and let your ears decide.  Both are excellent speakers.

Good luck.  Cheers.

gkinberg

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2010, 05:37 pm »
Hey Garth, I listened to both a while back when I was searching for speakers.

Here some links to my thoughts at the time:

Good luck.  Cheers.

Funk, Thank you very much for your reply. I have read some of your posts in the past and found them helpful. I had not, however, read the posts that you provided links to. While I haven't read the posts exhaustively, a cursory glance shows that your comments provide good food for thought. Do you know if the adagio's were fully "broken in"? I ask because I have read that this speaker needs 100 - 200 hours to be fully broken in. I know that there are differing opinions as to the validity of break in theory but thought I would ask.

funkmonkey

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2010, 12:30 am »
Not sure about the break-in issue or whether the pair that I heard were "broken in" or not, but I think that they would have been.  My audition was given by their designer (Robert Lee) at the Acoustic Zen offices/assembly  facility.  It was the same set-up that Robert uses to evaluate the sound of his speakers for himself.  There were several of his speakers around, as well as a few from his competition.  The space was certainly well used.  :wink: