How to limit signal to my speakers?

droht

How to limit signal to my speakers?
« on: 11 Oct 2009, 07:18 pm »
My office system is my "serious" set up.  I run a 2.1, speakers are on my desk, about arms length from my ears.  I run them full range, with a sub out from my integrated amp.  What I'm wondering is what is the simplest and most cost-effective way to limit the lower frequency stuff (80Hz and below?) from getting to my speakers, without degrading sound quality?

I suppose this is a high pass filter.  I googled that and see various things, but nothing that matches what I need?  Any ideas?

Also, this seems like a perfect DIY kind of thing.  Any thoughts on that?

Thanks. 

mgalusha

Re: How to limit signal to my speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2009, 09:32 pm »
Since you're using an integrated amp there is no easy way to add a high pass filter. If your amp has a set of jumpers bridging the pre and amp sections you could add one there, otherwise it would almost certainly require internal changes.

I didn't read your sig first, I don't think the Virtue has the aforementioned jumpers. I'd post in the Virtue circle and see if they have any ideas for you.

droht

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2009, 11:57 pm »
Thanks Mike.  I believe you are correct regarding the Virtue.  I want to say you can change a capacitor (but it may be one of those other electrical thingies) and minimize the low freq stuff that goes to speakers.  Some of their version2 models will have a high pass filter jumper, so that will make it easier in the future if I upgrade with them.

I was wondering what you can do externally though, as it would then be useable with any amp.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:08 am »
I believe it's as simple as making a high pass filter and connecting it to the speaker outputs on the amplifier.

droht

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:12 am »
I believe it's as simple as making a high pass filter and connecting it to the speaker outputs on the amplifier.

That's what I was thinking, but I have no idea how one actually does that...    :scratch: :green:

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2009, 12:32 am »
You could

1. Call Madisound or Zalytron or GR-Research or other speaker parts supplier and ask them if they could give you a design and sell you the parts
2. Post a request to one of the DIY speaker forums for a design
3. Purchase an assembled crossover from Parts Express or a car stereo supplier like Crutchfield.
4. Purchase an active crossover. Type active crossover into a pro audio site like zzsounds and you'll see a number of choices. GLI,  Gemini, ART, Peavey, Berhringer, etc. sell crosovers in th $100+/- range.

This crossover from Parts Express might be close to what you need. They sell a 4 ohm version as well.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=266-154

droht

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2009, 03:47 pm »
Thanks Doublej.  The active crossover units look interesting, but I'm not sure about connectivity, as they all seem to be xlr in and out.  I'd want this between my integrated amp and speakers.  I'd also be concerned a bit about sound quality, but they seem like they'd be fun to play with for a pretty low price.

I can get a high pass filter made for ~ $125.  I'll probably go that route.  The Parts Express option you linked looks interesting, for about half the price, but again I'd worry about sound quality.  I'm thinking maybe I'd be getting what I pay for in this comparison.

Brown

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2009, 04:46 pm »
Check out Harrison Labs .
Inexpensive high and low pass inline filters. Around $40. good enough for your purpose IMO.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2009, 05:43 pm »
Reckhorn F-1 or B-1, for line level.

For speaker level,

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross6db.asp