Zu Omen mk2 (DW+)

Poultrygeist

Re: Zu Omen mk2 (DW+)
« Reply #60 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:01 pm »
I'm all about audio.

Take your factory spikes with you so you can get the correct thread pattern at Home Depot.

AvsFan

« Reply #61 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:15 pm »
I'm all about audio.

Take your factory spikes with you so you can get the correct thread pattern at Home Depot.

And I can appreciate that.  :D

Thanks.

AvsFan

« Reply #62 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:17 pm »
I'm all about audio.

Not to derail the ZU thread but in my 12x10 room. If I were able to get the front baffle of the speakers 30" off the back wall and 8" off the side walls, do you think an OB speaker would work well in my room?

mick wolfe

« Reply #63 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:45 pm »
It will "work", but never be optimum in that small room. When you get an open baffle design (or Magnepan for that matter) in a room where you truly have some room to work with, you'll finally hear why many are smitten by these designs. I've run this experiment in house myself and can honestly say "been there, done that".

AvsFan

« Reply #64 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:58 pm »
It will "work", but never be optimum in that small room. When you get an open baffle design (or Magnepan for that matter) in a room where you truly have some room to work with, you'll finally hear why many are smitten by these designs. I've run this experiment in house myself and can honestly say "been there, done that".

Can you be more specific? Size and dimensions of your room, what OB speakers were used?

AvsFan

« Reply #65 on: 15 Mar 2021, 04:01 pm »

And if you can save me the time, money and headaches of not going down that path, I mean I already tried it with the Maggie’s and they had to be way out into the room. I keep having people tell me it will be fine and so on but really question that.

genjamon

« Reply #66 on: 15 Mar 2021, 04:20 pm »
Mick has two systems - the "big rig" in a small bedroom, roughly the same size as your 10 x 12 room.  And a secondary system in his larger living room.  He has Spatial M4's and Zu DW's, which alternate in the larger room.  And uses Ohm 1000's in the small room.  The Spatials provide a very immediate and direct sound in the small room, but not the expansive soundstage of the larger room.  Keep in mind that the M4's are not truly fullrange OB designs, but need subwoofers to go full range.  Therefore, his M4 experience won't tell you much about bass loading of M3 Sapphires in such a small space. 

(The above is a summary of his recent posts on your other threads, as well as posts he has made in the past, as well as confirmed by me - since Mick is local and we know each other well, and I have heard these systems on a number of occasions with the different speakers in question.) 

mick wolfe

« Reply #67 on: 15 Mar 2021, 04:41 pm »
The room is slightly smaller than yours. ( 10x11)  I've "crammed" many a speaker into that little room including the early Spatial M2 Turbo's. The list  also includes Salk SongTowers, Zu Omen DW's and Klipsch Heresy 3's. These 4 are classic examples of speakers that eventually screamed "please get me into a bigger space".  Now as I've said, I'm fortunate enough to have that bigger space (4x the room volume as the above mentioned room) as I have 2 system set-ups.  Every one of the above mentioned speakers become a different animal when given room to breath. Night and day difference in fact.

AvsFan

« Reply #68 on: 15 Mar 2021, 04:42 pm »
Mick has two systems - the "big rig" in a small bedroom, roughly the same size as your 10 x 12 room.  And a secondary system in his larger living room.  He has Spatial M4's and Zu DW's, which alternate in the larger room.  And uses Ohm 1000's in the small room.  The Spatials provide a very immediate and direct sound in the small room, but not the expansive soundstage of the larger room.  Keep in mind that the M4's are not truly fullrange OB designs, but need subwoofers to go full range.  Therefore, his M4 experience won't tell you much about bass loading of M3 Sapphires in such a small space. 

(The above is a summary of his recent posts on your other threads, as well as posts he has made in the past, as well as confirmed by me - since Mick is local and we know each other well, and I have heard these systems on a number of occasions with the different speakers in question.)

I know the ZU's work in this small room so will stick with this original plan. And be in search for that perfect bookshelf speaker to compliment the ZU's and this small two channel room.

AvsFan

« Reply #69 on: 15 Mar 2021, 04:52 pm »
The room is slightly smaller than yours. ( 10x11)  I've "crammed" many a speaker into that little room including the early Spatial M2 Turbo's. The list  also includes Salk SongTowers, Zu Omen DW's and Klipsch Heresy 3's. These 4 are classic examples of speakers that eventually screamed "please get me into a bigger space".  Now as I've said, I'm fortunate enough to have that bigger space (4x the room volume as the above mentioned room) as I have 2 system set-ups.  Every one of the above mentioned speakers become a different animal when given room to breath. Night and day difference in fact.

Of course. In a perfect world, we'd all have 25x25 rooms with plenty of space to work with and so on. But that's not the situation or the real world for a lot of people. But I have experienced the exact same thing as you, in my open floor plan downstairs in my living room, both the ZU's and Maggie's really sang and opened up. Which I am putting my current blue ZU's back down there. But my main two channel room is still this little 12x10 office and it's my get away. Where I can close the door and be left alone. So trying to make the most out of this space.

I actually really enjoy the DW's in this small room. It works out for me. But of course, give most speakers room to breathe and they will perform well. I should start a thread about speakers that excel in small listening rooms. That's the key. One speaker I know does, is the OHM, but......... the Q&C over there is severely lacking from what I have read lately and there is some real shoddy work going on there. So that's out of the equation.

genjamon

« Reply #70 on: 15 Mar 2021, 05:10 pm »
I used my DW's for a couple months in an 11 x 12 bedroom/office system and really liked it there as well.  Soundstage depth wasn't there, but it was a highly engaging direct sound.  Really fun, maybe more fun than my larger "big rig" room where they are now. 

AvsFan

« Reply #71 on: 15 Mar 2021, 05:48 pm »
I used my DW's for a couple months in an 11 x 12 bedroom/office system and really liked it there as well.  Soundstage depth wasn't there, but it was a highly engaging direct sound.  Really fun, maybe more fun than my larger "big rig" room where they are now.

You nailed it! Soundstage and depth are not where I want it to be with my ZUs either, at least not in this room. They aren't bad in that department but I have has some bookshelves that have done better, but man...... are they ever so much fun to listen to and just get down with the music to. Like you said, very engaging and fun. Throw on some Primus and just enjoy! 

No other speaker has brought me that kind of musical enjoyment on that level.

Now I am in search of that "perfect audiophile" 3d holographic imaging and floating soundstage that will compliment the ZU's.

genjamon

« Reply #72 on: 15 Mar 2021, 05:57 pm »
So sad you can't try the small Ohms.  That's exactly what they do. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #73 on: 15 Mar 2021, 06:03 pm »
Of course. In a perfect world, we'd all have 25x25 rooms with plenty of space to work with and so on. But that's not the situation or the real world for a lot of people. But I have experienced the exact same thing as you, in my open floor plan downstairs in my living room, both the ZU's and Maggie's really sang and opened up. Which I am putting my current blue ZU's back down there. But my main two channel room is still this little 12x10 office and it's my get away. Where I can close the door and be left alone. So trying to make the most out of this space.

I actually really enjoy the DW's in this small room. It works out for me. But of course, give most speakers room to breathe and they will perform well. I should start a thread about speakers that excel in small listening rooms. That's the key. One speaker I know does, is the OHM, but......... the Q&C over there is severely lacking from what I have read lately and there is some real shoddy work going on there. So that's out of the equation.

I have no idea where you found the OHM QC issue, but I couldn't find a single complaint in a quick search. Check out the positive review on the PS Audio site for example. FWIW, I've had nothing but an excellent experience with their products and support. No, they don't have the fit and finish of a Harbeth, but it's more than adequate. It's their excellent voicing and presentation that will win many over anyway.

AvsFan

« Reply #74 on: 15 Mar 2021, 06:27 pm »
I have no idea where you found the OHM QC issue, but I couldn't find a single complaint in a quick search. Check out the positive review on the PS Audio site for example. FWIW, I've had nothing but an excellent experience with their products and support. No, they don't have the fit and finish of a Harbeth, but it's more than adequate. It's their excellent voicing and presentation that will win many over anyway.

Ironic that you mention Harbeth, because that is the speaker I am looking into right now.

RonN5

« Reply #75 on: 15 Mar 2021, 06:35 pm »
I agree that you never read reviews of Ohm speakers complaining about their components or their sound...but you may from time to time see a comment  that their cabinetry not being at the same level as Salk (for example).

There is a long thread over at Audiogon with 14,928,996 views...and lots of very positive things said about the sound.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ohm-walsh-micro-talls-who-s-actually-heard-em

thetakeout

« Reply #76 on: 15 Mar 2021, 07:01 pm »
Funny Reading these threads.  There clearly are flavors we all dig.

I have been jonesing to live with Omega, Spatial, Klipsch (The Big Ones), Harbeth & Ohm speakers.  All of which seem to keep popping up in these threads. 

I just want a big expansive open sound.  It seems like massive horns (not little horns), open baffle & omni directional are the options.  In a smaller room I would probably be pushed to try the Ohms because they can be pushed up against the wall.  The aren't great fit for me at the moment because as I understand (from the Guttenberg review) they need some juice to open up.  But one day as the kids get older I am definitely going to try them. 

RonN5

« Reply #77 on: 15 Mar 2021, 07:58 pm »
An expansive and open soundstage is much easier to achieve in a big room with wide dispersion speakers.  I very much attribute it to the RAAL tweeters in my Salks...but the right electronics are also very, very important.  With the Ohms needing some power to get them to sing, I would definitely put one of the Cherry amps at the top of the list to pair with the Ohms.