Recommended speakers for classical music

sounddog

Re: Recommended speakers for classical music
« Reply #140 on: 25 Mar 2020, 02:40 pm »
  If cost is no object, Rockport Technologies makes killer speakers, very articulate and accurate for a whole butt load of money though.  ....TAD Evolution One's are awesome for classical.   

A good audiophile friend of mine, who has much more disposable income than I do, has Rockports and loves them for classical music (his wife is a violist). I heard Rockports at Axpona last year and thought they were terrific - not showy but sounded just right. He also has TAD Micro Evolution One's in his second system and gives them high praise, although he probably will add REL subwoofers; I imagine the floorstanding Evolution One's would sound great.

Flathead2

« Reply #141 on: 13 Sep 2020, 09:25 pm »
The PSB Imagine T3's are fantastic with classical music, from solos, small chambers, to complete orchestras.  They throw a large, wide and deep, sound stage while pinpointing individual players and orchestral sections.  You can listen in, analytically, and at the same time, just listen to the emotional beauty and message of the music.   These speakers require a lot of power however.  IMHO 200 plus watts minimum with a large 2000+ damping factor.  I am really enjoying classical music with these in my system. 

Archguy

« Reply #142 on: 16 Oct 2020, 08:30 pm »
Harbeth for me. Neutrality in tonal balance with midrange clarity and detail are a hallmark for their range, with good bass extension for their size.

Just got into Harbeth this year; currently enjoying the C7s and 30.1s. 

They're definitely superlative for small-scale classical such as chamber music, piano, etc but I have yet to try them out on full-scale orchestral music.  They also shine with acoustic jazz. 

The Rockports & TADs mentioned just above would also be speakers I'd own, if money grew on trees like it should!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #143 on: 17 Oct 2020, 08:37 am »
Based on reviews like this one:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-m16-speaker-review.11884/
and other reviews easily found, if I could afford only $1000 for a pair of standmounts I would try to include the Revel Concerta 2 M16 in my list of contenders.
If my budget extended to $2000 for the pair I would try to get a listen to the similar but upscale Revel Performa3 M106.

abomwell

« Reply #144 on: 28 Jul 2021, 07:13 pm »
For classical music it's especially important to find speakers that don't have a rising frequency response above 1kHz.  Most classical recordings sound too bright as compared with live performances because they are recorded closer to the violins then would be heard in a concert hall even from front row seats. Speakers with a rising top end exacerbate that problem.

Al