Tubes for the I84

Grinnell

Tubes for the I84
« on: 14 Sep 2012, 02:15 am »
So I really like my I84 its a great amp.  Need to get some power tubes so wondered what people were using that were current production tubes.

And can i use 7189 tubes in this?  do i need a matched quad or matched pairs?

any NOS suggestions.

Grinnell

Re: Tubes for the I84
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm »
I guess this is a dead forum

I'm i the only one with a Vista Amp?

Audiovista

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2012, 01:01 am »
Sorry about the delay, I did not receive automatic notification...  I go not recommend  7189, but if you can find Mullards (EL84), you will be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks,
Boris

Grinnell

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2012, 03:00 pm »
Thanks boris

i have thought about the mullards but $$$$$

think i may go with the TAD EL84

looking for some weight

Audiovista

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2012, 08:42 pm »
Yes, I know what you're talking about  :)

Please do let us know how the TAD sounds. Oh, Telefunken is another favorite of mine....

Thanks,
Boris

Grinnell

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2012, 05:49 pm »
The TAD el84 str tubes are a much darker deeper sounding tube than the sovteks.  It made the mid to bottom end much fuller and richer but had some loss on the top.

I had used Gold Lion 12ax because i was looking to tame the upper end so i switched them out to the Sylvania 12ax7WA which has created the perfected sound with the Klipschs.

Audiovista

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2012, 06:29 pm »
So, would you say Sovtek in the output and Sylvania at the input is the good combo?

Grinnell

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2012, 05:08 pm »
Boris said: "So, would you say Sovtek in the output and Sylvania at the input is the good combo?"

No, i switched to the Gold Lion with the Sovteks because with the Sylvanias it sounded thin

With the TAD EL84 the bottom end became much stronger/deeper so with the Sylvania's it was more balanced

The Klipsch may influence my choices as the tweeter sounded a bit shrill too high end with the sovteks

now it rocks